U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 08:33 PM

25 posts, read 6,778 times

Advertisements

It's been months but still can't find a home. Can you please let me know where I am going wrong?

Below are my criteria for buying a new home but finding it very difficult to find the right one.

-Spacious house with good size yard
-Commutable to Cambridge
-Not exceeding 1 million
-New or relatively new house
-NOT looking for school district

I am looking for properties in Burlington. However, the inventory is less, and houses are sold very fast. My next bet is to look into Wilmington, Woburn, Bedford, and Medford. I am not sure which towns amongst these are the best and I worry if I am missing any other towns. Can you please share your experiences and thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 08:34 AM

3,270 posts, read 5,806,738 times
Usually, people decide on one or two towns to live in and then wait for the right house to come along in. I assume you have a buyer's agent working for you?

However, if you are open to a broad array of communities, and you are looking at Bedford, Burlington, Woburn, etc. then you should add Stoneham, Reading, North Reading and Lynnfield to your list as well. Even West Peabody would work for a commute to Cambridge, you could easily get new construction there that meets your requirements: https://thebirchhillestates.com/

Old 09-09-2020, 10:05 AM

Thank you for your advice. I started with couple to towns (Belmont, Arlington) to begin with. But then, I could not suceed because of low inventory and high prices in both the towns. And so, I had to broaden my search. All I need is a nice home (spacious, newish) commutable to Cambridge. I do not want to exceed a million. I am not looking for good school district. Still it's becoming a challenge to find a decent home!

Old 09-09-2020, 10:14 AM

11,629 posts, read 12,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic2020 View Post
-Not exceeding 1 million
-New or relatively new house
I 'm going to venture that anything new(ish) in those towns is going to command top dollar and a quick scan of homes for sale under 10 years and 1mil does confirm very few offerings.

I think you are going to have to expand your search area to find new construction under $1mil as that's a very expensive area you've settled on

Old 09-09-2020, 10:23 AM

3,037 posts, read 1,663,637 times
If you want space, or to avoid other drawbacks, you can scratch Bedford, Medford, Woburn off the list. Bedford new build SFH will be more than $1M, and even older homes off of main roads tend to go for $1M+ now. Medford won't give you a newer house and a large yard. Woburn likely the same way.

Burlington will go fast at that price point, but I'd definitely continue to monitor homes coming on the market.. Have your realtor continuously check MLS, talk to local builders, etc.

I'm a bit surprised that there is nothing in Wilmington that checks your boxes. Not long ago, there were a lot of new builds, all between $800-$1M. Even now, i'm seeing several new builds for sale <$1M. Because schools are not a consideration, what about Tewksbury? It'll add another 10 minutes to your commute, 60min+ to Cambridge during pre-covid rush hour, but there should be plenty of options that come and go at your price point.

Acton has a few new builds for <$1M. Pretty tough commute, also 60min+ during normal pre-covid rush hour. But, it's nicer than Wilmington or Tewsbury.

Billerica could be another option.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:28 AM

2,705 posts, read 2,841,578 times
Quote:
Thank you for your advice. I started with couple to towns (Belmont, Arlington) to begin with. But then, I could not suceed because of low inventory and high prices in both the towns. And so, I had to broaden my search. All I need is a nice home (spacious, newish) commutable to Cambridge. I do not want to exceed a million. I am not looking for good school district. Still it's becoming a challenge to find a decent home!
If school district does not matter...look into Woburn. There's a brand new condo community still being built out, with advertised pricing in the $680 - 880K range (although looks like some have sold for as high as $950K). It's just east of the "4 Corners" intersection, from where you'll have access to the MBTA 350/354 buses which go to Alewife station. I live close to that area, and I have made it from my home to Kendall Square in as little as 40 min (morning rush hour).

Bedford is going to be higher priced and not as convenient. We looked there too, when we were in the market. PM if you have any specific questions, and good luck in your search!

Old 09-09-2020, 10:50 AM

434 posts, read 186,082 times
Is the Woburn school district even that “bad?”

Old 09-09-2020, 10:58 AM

2,705 posts, read 2,841,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
Is the Woburn school district even that “bad?”
I don't think so...and I've even seen some of the elementary schools fairly highly rated. But I don't have school-age children so can't comment from personal experience.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:00 AM

I am dreading 60+minute commute from Cambridge (pre-covid times). It's surprising that Bedford, Woburn etc are now becoming out of price reach as well. How quickly the homes sales in these towns are increasing!! Looks like I have to still broaden my search to Billerica, Tewksbury etc. I like Burlington very much. But these days, houses are just sold within few days in that town! What do you think about Stoneham, Malden etc?

Old 09-09-2020, 11:51 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,212,219 times
Quote:
I am dreading 60+minute commute from Cambridge (pre-covid times). It's surprising that Bedford, Woburn etc are now becoming out of price reach as well. How quickly the homes sales in these towns are increasing!! Looks like I have to still broaden my search to Billerica, Tewksbury etc. I like Burlington very much. But these days, houses are just sold within few days in that town! What do you think about Stoneham, Malden etc?
Where in Cambridge are you going?
In post-COVID times would you consider public transport?
Stoneham is nice. You should consider Wakefield, too. Malden is a bit more dense, but it is not too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or