U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 01:11 PM

2,939 posts, read 3,471,692 times

Advertisements

This is on my list to do. I have a few things in mind for my visit & would love to here any other advice.

My trip would start in VA and will eventually go all the way up to ME but i would def stop by MA for at least 2 days.

What I want to see:
Game at Fenway Park (if not a game a stadium tour).
Cape Code summer game

Those are the must but would welcome more things. My game plan is to arrive by 3-4 on a Friday to Cape Code. Get a hotel somewhere in that area & go to a game that night (hopefully games dont' start ill after 6). Then the following day I'd get to Boston. I'm not sure I want to stay in the city but might prefer Ubering in to avoid traffic/congestion. Then go to a game that Saturday night (or 4 pm).

Any particular towns outside Boston that are good places to stay that would allow me to easily Uber in and just explore? Not sure I want to stay in actual downtown area since I'll have my own vehicle. Not a fan of vallet.

Any must see places around those areas that you like/recommend.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 01:40 PM

9,278 posts, read 17,322,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
This is on my list to do. I have a few things in mind for my visit & would love to here any other advice.

My trip would start in VA and will eventually go all the way up to ME but i would def stop by MA for at least 2 days.

What I want to see:
Cape Code summer game

Those are the must but would welcome more things. My game plan is to arrive by 3-4 on a Friday to Cape Code. Get a hotel somewhere in that area & go to a game that night (hopefully games dont' start ill after 6). Then the following day I'd get to Boston. I'm not sure I want to stay in the city but might prefer Ubering in to avoid traffic/congestion. Then go to a game that Saturday night (or 4 pm).

Any particular towns outside Boston that are good places to stay that would allow me to easily Uber in and just explore? Not sure I want to stay in actual downtown area since I'll have my own vehicle. Not a fan of vallet.

I assume you're talking Summer 2021 at the earliest?

I'd probably consider adding a 3rd day to that itinerary. If the schedules align perfectly (the Sox are home and playing a Sat. night game, and an easier to access Cape League team is playing a night game on Friday), 2 days is doable, but it's a lot of work and you really wouldn't get to experience anything other than the game and the check-in/out process at your hotel.

If you did two days consider Bourne, Famouth, or even Wareham (not on the Cape but part of the league) as they'll give you the best access the highway back to Boston on Saturday. Chatham is probably the most well-known Cape League team, but you're adding precious driving time to your two day trip by going out there.

Given your schedule (in Boston for about 24 hours from Sat-Sun), I'd 100% consider getting a hotel near Fenway in Boston (Fenway or the Back Bay neighborhood would be walking distance). For starters, you don't need to use a valet. There are plenty of self-park garages that would allow you to drive in and park yourself. They'll be cheaper than a hotel valet too. Many offer weekend rates under $20 per night. That would be cheaper than an Uber (which is still subject to getting stuck in traffic), and faster than the Subway from the 'burbs.

There are plenty of must-sees between the Cape and Boston. But you won't have time to see most of them if you're spending 2 nights in Massachusetts and going to baseball games on both nights. If you stay downtown in Boston you can walk some of the Freedom Trail which will take you by many of Boston's Revolutionary War era sites. You can also shop/eat along Newbury or in the North End and Faneuil Hall, walk the waterfront, etc. But you're not going to have time for much. On the Cape, maybe you can spend a few hours on the beach Sat. AM before you drive to Boston? But you won't have time for much else.

Old 09-10-2020, 02:20 PM

540 posts, read 140,040 times
Quote:

What I want to see:
Cape Code summer game

With your timeline, you'll be busy and your schedule is tight. Keep in mind the cape is about a 1-2 hour drive (with light traffic), depending on how outer cape you go. If you just want to say you've been on the cape and only go to Bourne or Sandwich, closer to 1 hour. If you're going to Chatham or Orleans, tack on another 30 minutes. I think Orleans is the outermost town with a CCL team so I wouldn't expect you to head beyond that.

You sound like a baseball fan, and if you are, I might also suggest at least earmarking some of the historical points for baseball fans. They're usually not given much mind, and I don't think they're covered on any of the commercial tours (a shame), but I've been fascinated with the early history and touring where the original South End Grounds, Huntington Grounds, and Braves Field. There's a little monument on the Northeastern campus where home plate on the Huntington Grounds used to be, but it can be a bit tricky to find.

Evening games typically start shortly after 7, though this year they're likely not going to happen. Cape League games start a little earlier. You might want to budget a little extra time for traffic, particularly if you're going to show up on a Friday afternoon as the Sagamore/Bourne bridges can start to back up with people fleeing for an early weekend. Getting around the cape isn't tough, but it's not always fast either. Minor, minor issue to deal with as well, but CCL games tend to have very limited seating (like, a HS bleacher) and most people camp out lawn chairs and blankets earlier in the day. That's not going to keep you from seeing the game, but you might be standing most of the time or sitting on grass.

If your goal in Boston is to catch a Sox game, Uber isn't going to save you a ton of time. Unlike some parks, Fenway is not car-friendly. There's no massive parking lots or garages, there's no highway funneling people in to a sports complex, or anything like that. Traffic near game-time will be snarled and if you can walk there it will be faster/cheaper. It's a jewel-box park dropped on a block, surrounded by restaurants and other buildings. Most people either take the T in (green line to Kenmore) or pay to park at a gas station or nearby commercial garage. If you can swing it, your ideal is to stay at a hotel in Kenmore and walk to the game, but something around Copley/Back Bay or even eastern Brookline will also be quite walkable. If that's out of your range, find somewhere to stay near the green line.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:56 PM

First off yes this would be after this year ha. I forgot to mention that. So no earlier than 2021. A lot might depend on when a Cape game aligns with a Sox home game WHEN I can get off. So a couple variables have to work out.

Nice tip on the Cape games with limited seating. I'd be okay with that. Honestly probably wouldn't even stay the whole game but would take in enough to get a feeling of it. 5-6 innings. Once I do some research on some of the players & get some pictures (be awesome to see a future MLB player) I'll probably venture else where.

I could probably (would make sense) stay longer given that MA probably has more things I can think of doing than any other state I'm visiting. So let's say I arrive 3 pm Friday. I could stay all Saturday & Sunday & leave Monday. But still could technically do something (shorter period of time) before I headed to ME.

I don't have a problem walking over a mile to the stadium. I love walking & exploring. The reason I wasn't crazy about staying near Fenway is because it would probably be a lot more expensive & less driving in what I would think would be a traffic nightmare (i guess I could be wrong). Ideally I was hoping to get a hotel right outside the main area and just Uber in closer then walk.

Thanks for the ideas though. You def made me realize I need to stay longer.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:08 AM

2,109 posts, read 3,788,413 times
Quote:
I was hoping to get a hotel right outside the main area and just Uber in closer then walk.
You can stay in Braintree or Quincy, which is 10+/- miles from the main area and right off the highway coming in from Cape Cod. That area has various hotels with free parking. From there you can take the red line T into Boston. You might have to uber to the T station. Get off the train at Park Street for a 2-mile walk through central Boston to Fenway Park. Or change at Park for the green line "outbound" to Kenmore--the green line cars for Boston College, Cleveland Circle and Riverside all stop at Kenmore. From there you walk up the street to the ballpark.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:01 AM

540 posts, read 140,040 times
Also, if you can arrange your travel where you are NOT on the cape on a Friday-Sunday, you'll also find it to be easier/quieter. More hotels will be available and traffic will be less nasty. If you can only do a weekend, it'll be crowded. If you can only do a holiday weekend, you're going to get the full 'wait in line for everything' experience.

Parking usually isn't an issue for CCL games, though I can only speak for Orleans/Chatham. Maybe have to walk a block or two if the local school or park lot fills up, but nothing like you'll do for Fenway. At least for Orleans, they share the local high school's field. Chatham's similar in terms of capacity/feel.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Also, if you can arrange your travel where you are NOT on the cape on a Friday-Sunday, you'll also find it to be easier/quieter. More hotels will be available and traffic will be less nasty. If you can only do a weekend, it'll be crowded. If you can only do a holiday weekend, you're going to get the full 'wait in line for everything' experience.

Parking usually isn't an issue for CCL games, though I can only speak for Orleans/Chatham. Maybe have to walk a block or two if the local school or park lot fills up, but nothing like you'll do for Fenway. At least for Orleans, they share the local high school's field. Chatham's similar in terms of capacity/feel.
Thanks.

Not going on the weekend technically is possible & kind of makes me think a bit different on this trip. Because you give me the idea that I could actually make that be towards the end of my trip which would put me around Boston on a Wednesday. Benefit of that is if I'm really having a great time I could stay later because I know their is nothing really left to see on my trip because only other major destination is NYC & I've been there 10+ times.

Is anywhere in the Cape bike friendly? or Boston? I've thought of bringing my bike with me since I'll have my SUV. Sometimes I like to leave the hotel & just ride bikes around if I'm there long enough.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:27 AM

38 posts, read 7,124 times
The Cape has a magnificent bike trail, but is also generally bike-friendly.

Boston has improved with bike-friendliness, but auto-bike-pedestrian interactions are an adversarial contact sport here (if you understood our streets, sidewalks and people and climate, you'd understand a bit better). There are a variety of rail-to-bike trails in the 'burbs. Downtown Boston and the urban cores of other Boston neighborhoods (in Boston proper, that is) and the dense parts of Cambridge and Somerville are not what I'd call bike-friendly other than when COVID-tide had most people under lockdown.

Old 09-12-2020, 06:19 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,560,016 times
Quote:
Thanks.

Not going on the weekend technically is possible & kind of makes me think a bit different on this trip. Because you give me the idea that I could actually make that be towards the end of my trip which would put me around Boston on a Wednesday. Benefit of that is if I'm really having a great time I could stay later because I know their is nothing really left to see on my trip because only other major destination is NYC & I've been there 10+ times.

Is anywhere in the Cape bike friendly? or Boston? I've thought of bringing my bike with me since I'll have my SUV. Sometimes I like to leave the hotel & just ride bikes around if I'm there long enough.
I'd restrict my rides to the Cape (and any nice town in Maine you stop in)... Big city riding has a lot of vehicle exhaust fumes and it's also considerably more dangerous. As others have suggested, the T (subway) and walking are a good way to get around Boston.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:56 AM

9,278 posts, read 17,322,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I'd restrict my rides to the Cape (and any nice town in Maine you stop in)... Big city riding has a lot of vehicle exhaust fumes and it's also considerably more dangerous. As others have suggested, the T (subway) and walking are a good way to get around Boston.
Depends on what you plan on doing for biking in the city. No, I wouldn't recommend someone unfamiliar with city riding just set out along the streets of downtown. It's intimidating and can be dangerous. But recreational biking in Boston is actually really nice on some of the city's paths. For a visitor here only for a short time, the Charles River Bike Path is the best by far. Here's a map of the full 27 mile loop. It's almost entirely separated, tree-lined bike path. No fumes to speak of, and the views of the Boston, Cambridge and Charles River are excellent. If you don't want to do the entire nearly 30 mile loop, I'd recommend crossing at Arsenal St/Western Ave and circling back along the opposite side of the river for a change of scenery. This would take you along the Esplanade, by Beacon Hill, the Back Bay, the Charles River Basin, BU, Harvard, MIT, Memorial Drive, and across the Longfellow Bridge. It's very pleasant and you certainly won't be dealing with fumes or car/truck traffic. I actually think this is one of the best ways to experience the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or