Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2022, 08:00 AM

8,525 posts, read 13,906,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Behind in the finish side of the business, I see it as well. Basic Schalge locks ($35) and Home Depot grade stainless steel knobs and pulls on the cabinets. Plate mirror instead of medicine cabinets and no storage in the vanities. The wood floors are "luxury vinyl plank" as the living room matches the bathrooms. There's a fiberglass tub in the gust bath and the shower door is off the shelf.

Money that was spent well went into the counters, appliances, glass door in the master, and maybe the cabinets and plumbing fixtures.
It doesn't look to me like this developer spent a lot of money on anything. There was a corner cut everywhere to make the place look more aesthetically pleasing. Yes, the kitchen has the extra, glass front cabinet at the top and the nice looking hood shroud but these are not particularly high quality cabinets. They put a glass door in the master shower, but it's not frameless. It has a top rail.

Someone definitely did a great job making this place look nice, but there's nothing particularly expensive in this condo. Everything looks like it came from Home Depot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 09:24 AM

15,692 posts, read 20,203,443 times
Someone will buy it. They always sell.

Old 04-28-2022, 11:16 AM

2,321 posts, read 1,736,158 times
https://www.redfin.com/MA/Boston/404.../home/11739930

Got another one of those income restricted units that might be tough to sell at it's current price, because finding someone who can afford it yet meets the income restrictions is going to be tough. Currently 226 DOM.

Old 04-28-2022, 11:34 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,871,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Wow I just took a quick look around. Market is DEFINITELY cooling vs. a few months ago.
At least in my neck of the woods there is no inventory and decent houses go under contract in less than a week. Maybe the rate of appreciation has gone down, but it is still crazier than normal.

Old 04-28-2022, 06:07 PM

3,355 posts, read 1,614,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
https://www.redfin.com/MA/Boston/404.../home/11739930

Got another one of those income restricted units that might be tough to sell at it's current price, because finding someone who can afford it yet meets the income restrictions is going to be tough. Currently 226 DOM.

I owned a condo in a development that had a percentage of them that were affordables. What I saw happen with one of these units was a buyer who met the income limits bought it (deeded only in their name) but they had their significant other also living there. Both of them worked full time jobs and they were married like a month after moving in. To me this seems wrong as it wasn't like the significant other came to be months or years later, they both moved in the same time and were only able to qualify as it was purchased by one of them. In reality, their household income was probably double and they would not have qualified that way. Seems like cheating the system in a way and in my eyes, they took away a unit from someone else who probably really needed it.

Old 04-28-2022, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I owned a condo in a development that had a percentage of them that were affordables. What I saw happen with one of these units was a buyer who met the income limits bought it (deeded only in their name) but they had their significant other also living there. Both of them worked full time jobs and they were married like a month after moving in. To me this seems wrong as it wasn't like the significant other came to be months or years later, they both moved in the same time and were only able to qualify as it was purchased by one of them. In reality, their household income was probably double and they would not have qualified that way. Seems like cheating the system in a way and in my eyes, they took away a unit from someone else who probably really needed it.
You kind of have to cheat the system to make the numbers work. Which is why it's sitting on the market... finding someone is not easy.

Old 04-28-2022, 08:48 PM

21,428 posts, read 12,424,419 times
Provincetown school superintendent retires citing housing issue: https://www.wickedlocal.com/story/pr...ue/7395089001/

After less than three years as Provincetown Schools superintendent, Suzanne Scallion is retiring from the position because of the Cape's housing issue. "Clearly there's a crisis in the community around housing and I was impacted by it," she said.

A lack of suitable housing forced Scallion to commute daily from her condo in the mid-Cape area to Provincetown. Then she also traveled to her home in Western Massachusetts weekly. "I probably spent 15 hours a week in the car," she said.

Scallion had a family meeting and the decision was made to retire.

When Scallion was hired in 2019, four of the five finalists declined to interview for the Provincetown position partly because of housing concerns. Scallion earned $82,000 annually.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Scallion had a family meeting and the decision was made to retire.
Article says she's not really retiring. She's starting a new job as an independent contractor. Also they are moving the family to the Upper Cape.

82k btw is easily like Top 5% on the Cape.

Old 04-29-2022, 06:50 AM

15,619 posts, read 7,639,439 times
Much of the Provincetown area and Truro/welfleet which in on the way in to p town can’t be built on to create more housing if that’s what you’re implying. It’s all dunes and national seashore. Her workplace wasn’t in the best location it sounds like she had some poor planning on her part. There are issues on the cape with housing for people who want to live there year round. I would think the Provincetown/Truro/welfleet are would be one of the worst places on the cape to find housing right now.

Old 04-29-2022, 01:49 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,052,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
It’s nothing but a grift - not only do those units go to those who have plenty of money for a market rate unit, they’re also driving up the price of market rate units and reducing the overall number of units being built because needless to say developers are not charities and won’t just eat the losses from being forced to give away a large number of units for next to nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts