Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 01:14 PM

16 posts, read 15,797 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to MA (job in Worcester), and we are looking for a home. We loved a house in Sterling, MA, and would love to know more about this town. I read the school system is good, however, my concerns are more about the diversity. We are an Asian and Hispanic couple, and diversity/inclusiveness is important to us. How far are the shopping stores from this town? What does this town offer in terms of activities for young kids? Although, I like more suburban feel in a town, I am ok as long as the commute to big city is within 30 mins. Any feedback will be helpful to make a decision.

Last edited by av0205; 01-10-2021 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 01:22 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,778,954 times
I don't know what big city you are talking about, you aren't getting to Boston or Cambridge in 30 minutes from Sterling. Would need to say where the job is.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:47 PM

16 posts, read 15,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I don't know what big city you are talking about, you aren't getting to Boston or Cambridge in 30 minutes from Sterling. Would need to say where the job is.
Sorry, missed an essential point in the post. My husband's job is in Worcester.

Old 01-10-2021, 02:42 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
From what I see in googling, and what I remember when I lived in eastern MA, you'd be fine in Sterling with a job in Worcester by 30 minutes, if not less.

Old 01-10-2021, 03:35 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Your race won't be a problem there, but there is also very minimal diversity. You need to decide whether you are OK with that. And yes it's easily under 30 minutes to Worcester.

Old 01-10-2021, 04:52 PM

4,625 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Lets see, downtown Sterling has 2 banks, a couple pizza places and not much else.

If you work downtown Worcester, it's about 20 minutes from downtown Sterling. If you job is at say Worcester State, it would be close to 30 minutes. UMass is about 25 minutes.
If said house is in the extreme NW edge of Sterling, it's about 10 minutes further than downtown.

From downtown Sterling, 2 exits north on 190 is Leominster and their Walmart, Lowes, Aldi, and Tractor Supply is right there.
There is another Walmart in West Boylston, ~5 minutes south on 12 from downtown Sterling.
Extreme north Worcester has a Market 32 right off the expressway (Mountain St). Google says it's a Price Chopper, but they are wrong (and they are the same company anyway). And a Stop and Shop around the corner.

Old 01-10-2021, 04:58 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Lets see, downtown Sterling has 2 banks, a couple pizza places and not much else.

If you work downtown Worcester, it's about 20 minutes from downtown Sterling. If you job is at say Worcester State, it would be close to 30 minutes. UMass is about 25 minutes.
If said house is in the extreme NW edge of Sterling, it's about 10 minutes further than downtown.

From downtown Sterling, 2 exits north on 190 is Leominster and their Walmart, Lowes, Aldi, and Tractor Supply is right there.
There is another Walmart in West Boylston, ~5 minutes south on 12 from downtown Sterling.
Extreme north Worcester has a Market 32 right off the expressway (Mountain St). Google says it's a Price Chopper, but they are wrong (and they are the same company anyway). And a Stop and Shop around the corner.

Also Hannafords in nearby Leominster and Clinton, depending on which side of town you are on.

Old 01-10-2021, 05:55 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by av0205 View Post
My family is moving to MA (job in Worcester), and we are looking for a home. We loved a house in Sterling, MA, and would love to know more about this town. I read the school system is good, however, my concerns are more about the diversity. We are an Asian and Hispanic couple, and diversity/inclusiveness is important to us. How far are the shopping stores from this town? What does this town offer in terms of activities for young kids? Although, I like more suburban feel in a town, I am ok as long as the commute to big city is within 30 mins. Any feedback will be helpful to make a decision.
I live in a smaller (compared to Sterling) town in central MA and also am in a immigrant multi-ethnic relationship with kids.
Never experienced racism (although the threshold can be different, once my wife was complimented for her English...she grew up here (nothing was said to me, though I have a thick accent)...some people may find it weird..though to us it was obviously just a compliment.

Forget about diversity. There is no diversity (obviously there is some, but little). Easiest way to find diversity is to send your kids to daycare in Worcester or Shrewsbury. Or bring them to a city park in one of those towns.

Sterling is borderline rural, Not really a typical suburb (which for me is a huge plus, but I don't care at all about interacting with my neighbors, so the farther they are the better(still we are friends with some of them). Not sure from Sterling but both Leominster-Fitchburg and Worcester are 20-30 min away, you will have plenty of choices there including asian and latino supermarkets.

I think at least one of the forumers is from Sterling, he may write something better tomorrow.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:56 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Sterling resident here.

If you're deeply concerned about school diversity, I would advise against Sterling/Wachusett in general unless you plan to introduce diversity elsewhere ... though the latter doesn't necessarily improve your child's day-to-day in the public school system. The town is very white; however, in the 5 years we've lived here the immediate neighborhood has been transitioning away from the town's historically white conservative base. Some of the older residents seem relieved by the new influx of more diverse (ideologically, racially) Millenial families and I haven't encountered much friction beyond some perpetually miserable retirees who bemoan any and every change via the FB community webpage.

My wife and I tolerate the lack of diversity given the other advantages to the town, but our son is also white so he's unlikely to encounter any racial/identity problems in a 90%+ white district. We have contacts in the more racially diverse Worcester Arts community, so when he's old enough we'll be mixing things up with programs outside our immediate community.

The town does have a number of positives which, if you can get past the lack of racial diversity, I'll happily expand on. If you have any specific questions, I'll attempt an answer.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 01-11-2021 at 08:10 AM..

Old 01-11-2021, 08:14 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
From what I see in googling, and what I remember when I lived in eastern MA, you'd be fine in Sterling with a job in Worcester by 30 minutes, if not less.
Aside from the areas abutting Princeton, most of the town can access central Worcester or UMass Med in ~25 minutes. Traffic flow is generally good until one hits the Worcester boundary.

Commuting to Worcester or retail in neighboring communities is a relative 'breeze'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts