U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-07-2008, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 7,190 times
Default Marblehead and Swampscott

My husband and I are in our early 30's with a baby and are house hunting in Marblehead and Swampscott. Could you share your opinions about living and raising a young family in either or both towns? I have researched the school rankings and other demographic information, but was hoping for personal experiences and opinions. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-07-2008, 03:17 PM

9,655 posts, read 12,124,646 times
Both are terrific places. Swampscott is more of a Jewish community, Marblehead, I think, somewhat more of an old New England. Both have reputations as great places to live, kids or no, and have beautiful views.
I don't know if Swampscott has access to commuter rail, Marblehead does.
You couldn't go wrong in either town, I think. Best wishes on your move.

Unread 05-07-2008, 06:56 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,746,599 times
I used to live in Swampscott w/ young kids. Fabulous town! It sure does have T access! It has commuter rail and Marblehead does not. Marblehead has MBTA buses and is in between Swampscott and Salem's commuter rail stations. Swampscott also has MBTA buses. Check out MBTA.com > Official Website for Greater Boston's Public Transportation System for routes. Swampscott is less expensive than Marblehead. Regardless I actually preferred it because it's closer to Boston, has better public transportation, and shopping right in town (Vinnin Square area -- Whole Foods, Trader Joe's. Stop & Shop, CVS, Marshalls, etc).

Unread 04-04-2009, 08:00 PM

4 posts, read 12,308 times
We too are looking at both swampscott and marblehead as areas we would like to move to. I took a job at MIT lincoln lab and am worried about the commute. How early in the morning would I have to leave to avoid major traffic and what is afternoon traffic like, what time does it get congested?

Also, I was told that Swampscott had no downtown, is that true? We'd like an area with restaurants and shopping, an area we could stroll around and take our kids out to ice cream.

Any information on what makes these two towns different would be great!

Unread 04-05-2009, 01:18 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,192,510 times
Cool Manchester By the Sea

You might look into Manchester by the sea too.
out on Cape Ann.

---Jeff--
Winchester, MA

Unread 04-05-2009, 03:45 PM

11,749 posts, read 16,746,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I don't know if Swampscott has access to commuter rail, Marblehead does. You couldn't go wrong in either town, I think. Best wishes on your move.
The closest access to commuter rail from Marblehead would be in either Salem or Lynn. The same holds true for Swampscott.

I grew up in Marblehead & lived there on & off till 2006. I think its a great place to live & raise a family. Swampscott would be a great place to live as well. The only downtown that I remember Swampscott having is along Rt 1A. There are restaurants & some small shops.

Unread 04-06-2009, 09:58 PM

11 posts, read 48,278 times
swampscott actually has a commuter rail stop of its own

Unread 04-07-2009, 03:20 PM

2,954 posts, read 7,128,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog123 View Post
swampscott actually has a commuter rail stop of its own
and Marblehead doesn't

Unread 06-11-2011, 04:57 PM

3 posts, read 5,874 times
Swampscott is a fantastic little town! It doesn't have a downtown exactly but you have several beaches, restaurants, ice cream and coffee shops within walking distance from most houses.

Only 20 minutes to Boston from the Swampscott Train Station! You can barely finish reading the paper and you are in Boston. Salem is only about 5 minutes in the other direction!

We've lived here for years. Swampscott has great schools with dedicated teachers. The yards are small but, then you don't have to mow too much. Go to the beach instead!

Unread 03-13-2012, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,859 times
I'm considering moving to Swampscott - but wonder what the commute is like for those not within walking distance of the train. There are great properties about 1 mile + from the MBCR station, but I see that the MBCR parking lot is very small and tends to fill up early and the streets near the station have restricted parking.

How do people make this work when parking is necessary? (And PS - I want to take the 8:30ish train; I'm not one of the people who will beat the 7 am rush.)

If I can't park by the train, what is the drive to Boston like at this hour?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts