Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 06:22 PM

14 posts, read 114,238 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Holliston and it's a nice town but we are trying to think ahead about where we would like our kids to spend their school years. We are not sure Holliston is where we would like to stay. We are looking for a town with a reputation/amenities like Hingham or Sudbury or Andover. We currently live in Holliston and would like to "upgrade" to another town but would like to stay in the general area. We like Sherborn (a little rural) but we are attracted to all of the family oriented activities in Medfield. Dover scares me a little with it's snob reputation and Wellesley is a bit too congested. I don't know much about Westwood.

Would moving from Holliston to Medfield or Westwood be a "step up" in terms of schools/ town? Are there any other towns we should consider?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 10:16 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,083 times
Either town would be a "move up" for schools IMO. Medfield has an outstanding school system--highly dedicated teaching staff, administration and totally involved parent community. I'm not personally familiar w/ Westwood, but I've heard nothing but good things about the schools there.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:41 PM

Thanks NChomesomeday, Do you live in Medfield? I am just curious about the community. We have friends who live there and my only concern is it seems like everyone knows everything about everybody. If you live there, do you feel that way at all?

Old 05-08-2008, 06:57 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,919,512 times
I just moved to Westwood and can say that it's a nice town so far. People seem very friendly and the town is very pretty. One of the advantages of Westwood is easy access to the city through our two commuter rail stations. If you're looking for a town that will impress your friends, though, I don't think Westwood is in the same league as Dover, Sherborn, or Wellesley.
You might want to add Needham to the list of town you're looking at.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the Westwood info. Not really looking to impress our friends but looking for a town that "has it all" - good schools, nice town center, decent restaurant or two and nice community with family activities available. I have found that exists in Sudbury, Hingham and Andover and just looking for something similar in this area.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:06 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,919,512 times
Westwood is a great town, but doesn't really have a town center. There's a little a bit up in Islington and some more on high street, but it's a relatively new town (founded in 1897) so nothing like Needham or Wellesley. The Norwood town center is pretty nice and too far.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:43 PM

Medfield is not a big town so there is a bit of feeling as though everyone knows your business. I don't find that to be a bad thing though. It's nice to always run into people you know at the library, grocery store, etc.

Great high school sports! It feels like the whole town turns out. It's fun to watch football on Friday nights (particularly when Holliston comes to town, though that wasn't very pretty this year.)

Pick up a copy or go online to read the Medfield Press or Hometown Weekly. It should give you a good flavor. Feel free to DM me too.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:01 PM

Thank you so much, that makes me feel good about Mefield. I love the high school sports part! I agree with you on the everyone knowing everyone I guess my only concern is if the town was more "clique-ie" (sp?) than just friendly. You may find that in any town though.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moveinmetrowest View Post
Thank you so much, that makes me feel good about Mefield. I love the high school sports part! I agree with you on the everyone knowing everyone I guess my only concern is if the town was more "clique-ie" (sp?) than just friendly. You may find that in any town though.
I think you're right--you can find that cliquishness anywhere. There's no question it exists in Medfield and there's also no question that you see it more because the town is so small. But I've encountered it in big cities and large towns as well. There's going to be a trace of "the element" wherever you go. But for every person with an attitude, you'll find 5 more who are down to earth.

I can't begin to list the ways that Medfield is so much more than just a town--it's a caring, supportive community as well. As I said, PM me if you want more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts