Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 09:02 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times

Advertisements

The entire MBTA commuter rail station at the junction of Routes 1A and 295 in the Home Depot/Market Basket Plaza was abruptly closed over this past weekend. The condition of the long deteriorating station had gotten to the point where it was no longer safe for commuters to use its only steel structure stairs and ramps that still remained open (its other stairwell entrances had long ago been boarded up due to poor condition). This station has been consistently in the top six per commuter rail ridership (the two stations immediately north of it -Attleboro and Mansfield - have even higher ridership). It will now remain closed for an indefinite period of time.

A rehab of this station has been in the planning stages for years. Public hearings had been scheduled to discuss a potential $30-40M upgrade plan which would have seen construction possibly start later this year.

This situation should have never come to this. Serious safety concerns for this station had started back a decade ago when one set of its stairs/ramps was closed. The remaining open stairs were allowed to further corrode from rust without being properly addressed for the long term. Holes were evident in it back some five years ago. The station still however continued to see more volume with the taking of more parking spaces from the adjoining shopping plaza being allocated to commuters. The MBTA grossly mismanaged this facility by letting it get to such a dangerous state. It had years to address it but did not. While this closing is at this time mitigated due to the low ridership of the pandemic, that will likely begin to soon change as people slowly return to work. The elimination of this station will have a big negative impact as it was right off the highway at the state line. It was mostly used by Rhode Islanders due to its easy access and better parking situation (cost & supply) as opposed to the next stop in downtown Providence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 09:50 AM

Here is something from back in 2015 that describes the deplorable structural conditions of this station:

South Attleboro | Miles in Transit

Excerpt:
two of its staircases have been closed because of rust damage, and the whole thing looks really flimsy and unsafe

2019 WBZ Story:

Old 03-02-2021, 12:53 PM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
As a believer in importance public transit (and access to public transit), I hope they take care of it soon.

However, given the proximity to the under construction Pawtucket station (less than 4 miles/8 minutes drive) as well as the Attleboro station, I wonder if the MBTA sees this as an opportunity to save some money with a potentially small impact to ridership. I doubt they'd ever publicly admit it, but it might be fiscally worth them waiting it out to see if they even need to sink the money into repairs. If Pawtucket and Attleboro can absorb the bulk of ridership from SA, the MBTA could justify a permanent closure which eliminates the need for repairs and future upkeep. RI would be responsible for the bulk of the upkeep at Pawtucket, so it's not a bad way for the MBTA to shave some expenses in a time when they're pretty hard up from a budget standpoint.

Old 03-02-2021, 12:59 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
As a believer in importance public transit (and access to public transit), I hope they take care of it soon.

However, given the proximity to the under construction Pawtucket station (less than 4 miles/8 minutes drive) as well as the Attleboro station, I wonder if the MBTA sees this as an opportunity to save some money with a potentially small impact to ridership. I doubt they'd ever publicly admit it, but it might be fiscally worth them waiting it out to see if they even need to sink the money into repairs. If Pawtucket and Attleboro can absorb the bulk of ridership from SA, the MBTA could justify a permanent closure which eliminates the need for repairs and future upkeep. RI would be responsible for the bulk of the upkeep at Pawtucket, so it's not a bad way for the MBTA to shave some expenses in a time when they're pretty hard up from a budget standpoint.

What will the Central Falls/Pawtucket station have for parking? With or without it, that's an inferior commuter location to S Attleboro. I would like to have seen them put the resources into improving the latter instead of adding another extra stop (as well as adding parking in Providence) while increasing travel time.

Old 03-02-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:

The four stations along this stretch of the commuter line (Providence, S Attleboro, Attleboro, and Mansfield) are among the highest ridership volume in the entire MBTA commuter rail system. Demand at S Attleboro was so high and ever increasing that parking spots in the adjoining shopping plaza were being continually converted to reserved commuter spaces.

There are few locations in the MBTA commuter rail system that are more conveniently located for people that drive to stations than S Attleboro. It is located literally right at the state border at the Route 95 on/off ramps at Newport Avenue/Rte 1A.

There had been a public meeting scheduled back in January about the upcoming renovation of the S Attleboro station. It got cancelled and was supposed to now happen in the coming weeks. Reports back then indicated that the MBTA was proposing a total overhaul of the station that would cost in the $30-40M range. It would replace the platforms, stairs, and ramps as well as add elevators. It would create new pedestrian access from the north/in bound platform to the neighborhood located to its east where the Pawtucket/RI line is. New bus drop off points were also to be part of it.

The long talked about downtown Pawtucket station is finally under construction. It is now slated for an open date sometime in 2022. Given construction schedules and the ever changing calendar history of this planned station, I would not be the least bit surprised to see the projected date get moved further out. Keep in mind that the plan is for this station to be mostly aimed at pedestrians from the surrounding neighborhoods and those that use the bus as it will also be the Pawtucket RIPTA bus exchange hub. It will initially have very little parking.

Based on all of this, I do not think completely closing the S Attleboro station was an option the MBTA ever wanted. These source links would seem to confirm this:

South Attleboro Accessibility Improvements
https://www.mbta.com/projects/south-...y-improvements

South Attleboro train station to receive makeover in 2021
https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...eover-in-2021/

Last edited by MMS02760; 03-02-2021 at 02:42 PM..

Old 03-02-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
What will the Central Falls/Pawtucket station have for parking? With or without it, that's an inferior commuter location to S Attleboro. I would like to have seen them put the resources into improving the latter instead of adding another extra stop (as well as adding parking in Providence) while increasing travel time.

As I noted in the above post, the now under construction downtown Pawtucket MBTA station is being primarily targeted to pedestrians, people that use the bus (will also have a RIPTA bus transfer hub), and drop offs. Public parking is not even in the current plans. This station will be right on the Pawtucket-Central Falls border. It is thought that many users of the station will live in the converted mill loft style dwellings in Pawtucket and the Triple Decker housing stock in nearby Central Falls. A good portion of these people may be likely lower income and not even have their own vehicles as they may be exclusively public transit users for their transportation. Much of the advance work for this station involved adding and improving sidewalk access from its different directions.

The Pawtucket station will likely help the MBTA in one somewhat unique aspect as it will probably cater to commuters going in BOTH directions (to Boston as well as to Providence). This helps the system as most all its passengers during commute times are just going into Boston in the morning and out during the evening. The empty trains in the morning heading south into Pawtucket will now likely board a good number of passengers headed to downtown Providence. The location for either getting a bus or train (to Providence) will be the same spot in Pawtucket. The train ride will however be 5 minutes while a bus trip down busy surface road with many stops will be some 20 minutes.

Planned Pawtucket Station

Last edited by MMS02760; 03-02-2021 at 02:23 PM..

Old 03-02-2021, 01:59 PM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
I have yet to see any figures on the number of parking spaces but without adequate parking, it's not a viable alternative. I also agree the location isn't as ideal for commuters driving to the station. Unfortunately, that stuff often takes a back seat to budgetary concerns.

I do agree that having an additional stop is less than ideal for commute times and improvements to South Attleboro as well as better bus connections to Pawtucket/Central Falls would have been a better approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
There had been a public meeting scheduled back in January about the upcoming renovation of the S Attleboro station. It got cancelled and was supposed to now happen in the coming weeks. Reports back then indicated that the MBTA was proposing a total overhaul of the station that would cost in the $30-40M range. It would replace the platforms, stairs, and ramps as well as add elevators. It would create new pedestrian access from the north/in bound platform to the neighborhood located east of it where the Pawtucket/Ri line is. New bus drop off points were also to be part of it.

The long talked about downtown Pawtucket station is finally under construction. It is now slated for an open date sometime in 2022. Given construction schedules and the ever changing calendar history of this planned station, I would not be the least bit surprised to see the projected date get moved further out. Keep in mind that the plan is for this station to be mostly aimed at pedestrians from the surrounding neighborhoods and those that use the bus as it will also be the Pawtucket bus exchange hub. It will initially have very little parking.

Based on all of this, I do not think completely closing the S Attleboro station was an option the MBTA ever wanted.
For the record, I'm 100% for funding the improvements to S Attleboro. It needs to happen. I also agree that with or without ample parking, Pawtucket is a less than ideal option for people driving to the station. I'm just saying that I can see a cash strapped MBTA using this as an opportunity to scrap S. Attleboro completely or delaying the investment in repairs. But based on this...

"The Rhode Island DOT projects that a Pawtucket station would only draw an additional 89 passengers who had previously used other forms of transportation. However, the DOT estimates that the station will see 519 “boardings” when it first opens, mostly from people now using other stations, such as South Attleboro, which is about 4 miles away. " (source)

... I can easily see the MBTA justifying delayed repairs/full-blown cancellation of South Attleboro by painting Pawtucket (and Attleboro) as adequate alternatives. It's not ideal, but it's not out of character for that type of bait and switch to happen.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:05 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
As I noted in the above post, the now under construction downtown Pawtucket MBTA station is being primarily targeted to pedestrians, people that use the bus (will also have a bus transfer hub), and drop offs. Public parking is not even in the current plans. This station will be right on the Pawtucket-Central Falls border. It is thought that many users of the station will live in the converted mill loft style dwellings in Pawtucket and the Triple Decker housing stock in nearby Central Falls. A good portion of these people may be likely lower income and not even have their own vehicles as they may be exclusively public transit users for their transportation. Much of the advance work for this station involved adding and improving sidewalk access from its different directions.

The Pawtucket station will likely help the MBTA in one somewhat unique aspect as it will probably cater to commuters going in BOTH directions (to Boston as well as to Providence). This helps the system as most all its passengers during commute times are just going into Boston in the morning and out during the evening. The empty trains in the morning heading south into Pawtucket will now likely board a good number of passengers headed to downtown Providence. The location for either getting a bus or train (to Providence) will be the same spot in Pawtucket. The train ride will however be 5 minutes while a bus trip down busy surface road with many stops will be some 20 minutes.

Planned Pawtucket Station

I understand all that, but like I said it comes at a great cost and at an expense to far more than it will be benefiting. It's a COMMUTER RAIL, not a rapid transit. It already had enough stops, and the trip was long enough. The only way adding more stops like this might be justifiable, would they convert the line to all electric where the trains could accelerate much faster and not have the trip time increase by so much after every stop in between.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
"The Rhode Island DOT projects that a Pawtucket station would only draw an additional 89 passengers who had previously used other forms of transportation. However, the DOT estimates that the station will see 519 “boardings” when it first opens, mostly from people now using other stations, such as South Attleboro, which is about 4 miles away. " (source)

That may be the projections for when it first opens. I however do not think that will be the case within a few years of its opening. A tax incentive district (named the Conant Thread District) was created for the station neighborhood and there is already real estate speculation occurring. Residential developers are anticipating that some Boston workers will be attracted to lower RI rents. Some nearby mills are presently undergoing conversion to loft style apartments. In addition to the conversions, a developer is also proposing an entirely new construction 6 story 150 unit residential building a block away that will cost $43M.

Dexter Street Commons plan takes shape
https://www.valleybreeze.com/2021-01...e#.YD6pKdxOm70

Conant Thread District - Pawtucket
https://www.conantthread.com/

Old 03-02-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I understand all that, but like I said it comes at a great cost and at an expense to far more than it will be benefiting. It's a COMMUTER RAIL, not a rapid transit. It already had enough stops, and the trip was long enough. The only way adding more stops like this might be justifiable, would they convert the line to all electric where the trains could accelerate much faster and not have the trip time increase by so much after every stop in between.

This line is already electrified as it is entirely on the Amtrak Acela route. The long term plan is to electrify the commuter rail with the Providence line projected to be the first in the MBTA system given it already has electrified infrastructure capability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts