Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:54 AM

4 posts, read 29,729 times

Advertisements

Hello, We currently live on the south shore, Plymouth and my husband's work has relocated from Boston to Andover. Right now he's making 4 hour commutes daily. Obviously this can't continue so I've started looking at different towns and was thinking of Concord or Georgetown. Concord has a lot going for it but Georgetown seem like we can get more for our money. Schools are the most important because we have a 7 and 9 year old. Please any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, worried about being able to sell our house to even think about moving. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 09:23 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,827,228 times
Georgetown would give you a lot more house for the dollar, ditto for Rowley and Essex, but the schools are more "comprehensive" - as opposed to college prep oriented the way they are in Metro West. If Andover and North Andover are too pricy I'd look in Melrose, Stoneham, or Wakefield in terms of proximity. Acton/Boxborough and Lincoln/Sudbury are public school districts on par with Concord/Carlisle, but (with the exception of Lincoln) in more affordable communities than Concord. Winchester would be a short commute on 93, but good luck with finding a house you could pay for.

Georgetown and Concord are very disparate types of towns. The former has been "upscaling," but historically had a Yankee farmer blue-collar type of feel to it. OTOH Concord (to my way of thinking) has a strong preppy overtone with a downtown area that's more "precious" than practical. What I'm asking is, besides a place with schools offering good academic preparation for a fulfilling adult life what kind of an environment do you want your kids to grow up in? I'm talking about qualities beyond the "givens" such as safe streets and no factories.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:19 AM

4 posts, read 29,729 times
Smile Thanks for your response!

Schools are our top priority. We want a nice neighborhood, downtown and good shopping choices. I really don't want to have to travel far to go food shopping or to find a mall. I'd like to find a nice community close to where my husband will work. Right now the commute is impossible I'd like for him to have a 30 min. commute. I wish I knew more about the Northshore I am such a Southshore girl. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:25 AM

212 posts, read 948,162 times
Andover would be my first choice. We lived there and loved it. Great neighborhoods, excellent schools and a very nice downtown with lots to do. If you can afford Concord, then you should be thinking about Andover.

For shopping, you can drive to Salem, NH as mostly everyone does, to save money. Or just stay in Andover and surrounding towns.

North Andover and Boxford are really nice, too.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:54 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,944,147 times
Northshore questions I may be able to offer opinions (I stay well out of the Western MA/Southshore discussions!)

Anyway, Andover is very nice, some great neighborhoods, good schools. However, there is a tendency for neighboring towns to look upon it as having a certain "snob appeal". This possibly in relation to having Phillips Academy in town? If you wouldn't mind so much a smaller town feel, Georgetown might work, but there is no true "downtown" area. They have a central square with a couple of small stores, and a grocery store, but no true "shopping". Georgetown has been very strict with their zoning and ordinances, and residents are very happy to have preserved their town from having behemoth CVS, Walgreens, or fast food chains on every corner. rhe nearest "big shopping" area to either would probably be along 114 in Middleton, or in Peabody.

If in-town shopping is important to you, then dismiss the towns that make up well-respected Pentucket School District. Merrimac, Groveland and West Newbury are very nice towns to live in, and while Merrimac does have a small town center with a few stores, I just couldn't consider it a shopping mecca of any kind. However, Newburyport with it's beautiful downtown is just minutes away.

You could also look into Amesbury. With the beautiful Victorian homes leading to the very active downtown, great restaurants, the town has an awful lot to offer. It's come a long way from the somewhat jaded reputation it had back in the 70's and 80's... Amesbury also has 2 or 3 exits onto 495, which would be pretty much a straight shoot to Andover, 30 to maybe 40 minutes away.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:06 AM

29 posts, read 189,369 times
My fiancee's family lives in Concord and it is a great town. The town center has lots of cute little shops, including an amazing cheese store. Definitely an upscale mentality but not in a snobby way, if that makes sense. Easy access to commuter rail with free parking!

Old 02-19-2008, 11:33 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,301,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedaly View Post
Andover would be my first choice. We lived there and loved it. Great neighborhoods, excellent schools and a very nice downtown with lots to do. If you can afford Concord, then you should be thinking about Andover.
I agree with this 100%. Andover is a great town and the commute would be a breeze compared to what you're going through now, or even coming from Concord.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:07 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,335 times
Concord and Georgetown are both great towns. Rural, but not too far from the city. That being said, your desire for a 30 minute commute will be tested. I also disagree with people saying a commute from Andover is much easier than Concord (although it definitely is easier than from Georgetown). I haven't driven route 2 much in the morning but 93 is horrendous. Plus, both towns have a commuter rail stop.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:49 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,301,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
I also disagree with people saying a commute from Andover is much easier than Concord (although it definitely is easier than from Georgetown). I haven't driven route 2 much in the morning but 93 is horrendous. Plus, both towns have a commuter rail stop.
In this case the job is IN Andover, not a commute to Boston! That's why I said the Andover commute would be better.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:46 PM

967 posts, read 4,785,051 times
I agree, Andover's such a nice town. I work there 2 days a week and love the character of some of the handsome old houses there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts