Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 03:09 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,182,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...56073292_zpid/

Like, are you KIDDING ME?! Not only does it seem to lack any modern amenities (in-unit laundry, central air, etc.), it's assessed value is 146k compared to the asking price of 280k and it sold for 135k in 2017! It's in Lynn, and the nearest schools are all ranked abysmally. It's MILES from downtown, and not even a very comfortable walk to the Swampscott commuter rail station.
The 450 bus to Haymarket is a block away. It's a little under two miles from downtown, which I suppose is technically "miles."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 03:13 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
Well, shoot...I dashed off a check for more than that this morning!
Me too! Not saying it will clear, but I wrote it!

Old 03-15-2021, 03:32 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
Well, shoot...I dashed off a check for more than that this morning!
Check? Pfft. Bank wire.

Old 03-15-2021, 04:30 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
All the way up to my 30th birthday I lived with a roommate in a very un-hip but perfectly nice area just outside of Boston. (I wasn't saving for a down payment, but for a different life changing decision)

It was just something I made peace with.
There's a million and one ways that parents and kids can get on one another's nerves, I'll just leave it at that. But, if the children try to be responsible as "room-mates" of their parents and contribute something fair to the household in terms of chores or cash for being there - basically act like responsible adults not entitled children, and parents in turn also try to let go of the parenting some and not be overbearing - basically treat them like responsible adults who have their own lives, I think it can work out fine.

Old 03-15-2021, 04:51 PM

17,715 posts, read 9,181,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My grandmother wants to give me my (unexpected) inheritance early, but has refused to go through her lawyer/accountant so I have no money in hand yet.
Make sure to do some research. I'm not sure but I think you'll have to pay taxes if she gives it to you early. There are probably ways around that, though. Maybe like opening a joint bank account.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:01 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
So, I'm looking around at condos for sale on Zillow (I like the idea of a condo over a house because I don't need the space and they seem to require less upkeep), and all I'm seeing are places like this:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...56073292_zpid/

Like, are you KIDDING ME?! Not only does it seem to lack any modern amenities (in-unit laundry, central air, etc.), it's assessed value is 146k compared to the asking price of 280k and it sold for 135k in 2017! It's in Lynn, and the nearest schools are all ranked abysmally. It's MILES from downtown, and not even a very comfortable walk to the Swampscott commuter rail station.

Or take this one in Somerville. Remember that "working class housing built for peanuts and pocket change" I mentioned earlier?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...13388443_zpid/

At least this one has central air, but OVER HALF A MILLION!? For 875 SQUARE FEET!? It sold for just 285k in 2011!

And these last 2 examples aren't the exception to the rule. I practically just picked two listings at random!

Best option I can see for myself at this point is to continue living with my parents for 3-5 years and pray I can find a job somewhere else in the country where I won't be spending my entire income to be able to live in a shack. Doing so means that I'll have to put off any thoughts of getting married or having kids for that duration. I can't believe that people find the state of affairs in the area acceptable. It's a disgrace!
Both of those have in-unit laundry and while on the small side, seem perfectly fine for a single person or a couple.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:15 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
[quote=Boston Shudra;60608705]Did you look at my Lynn example? It's not a good location. At all. 280k is the bottom of the market right now; what people are paying for the absolute worst of available housing stock.

I can't because I want to spend at least 3 years at my current job (in Andover, fwiw).

There are very nice lofts in Lawrence. Lawrence closer to Andover is fine, I think and would be close to work.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:46 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,270,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Check? Pfft. Bank wire.
HA...thought about that after posting...don't recall the last time I wrote a check...

Old 03-15-2021, 06:13 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Both of those have in-unit laundry and while on the small side, seem perfectly fine for a single person or a couple.
You're right about the laundry! The wording in the description was a little confusing. I reached the point where it said that the property was valued at 150k and lost my sh**.

I disagree that it'd be good for a couple, however, or at least one with kids. Unless it was a stepping stool before eventually moving to a better school district.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
There are very nice lofts in Lawrence. Lawrence closer to Andover is fine, I think and would be close to work.
If there are nice lofts then I haven't seen any recently. The commute would be great, and I don't currently have to worry about school districts. Having grown up in Boston, I'm also not too too worried about crime or prettiness though I would maybe worry about having people over.

But I look and see places like these:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...72911691_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...59234773_zpid/

Which I still think are too expensive for what I'd be getting.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:44 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
The 450 bus to Haymarket is a block away. It's a little under two miles from downtown, which I suppose is technically "miles."

I've ridden the 450 bus before. It seems convenient because it picks up right in the neighborhood but it is a very long ride into Boston. During this pandemic, traffic may be lighter but during normal times, the jams on Route 1A and the tunnels during rush hour can be so bad you'd think you were in LA or New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts