Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 07:18 AM

66 posts, read 47,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
One of my more recent jobs was at a cambridge tech company with lots of millennials who were younger than me. I have to say they weren't snobby at all. If anything it is the people my age (i'm 42) and older who are snobby. These folks weren't into brand name clothes or cars at all and they all had rich parents. They did have weird diets which I guess could be seen as snobby by some-vegan, gluten free, lactose free, etc. Maybe one day these folks will be snobby or they put on a show at work, but I was surprised that they didn't care about designer clothes and big diamond engagement rings the way everyone did when i was in my 20's.
Showy is not the same as snobby. New England has a reputation for being snobby, not showy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 07:34 AM

1,037 posts, read 678,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I knew an Asian woman at work when I was in Lexington that actually said outright that she refuses to rent her properties the fat people and two Indians because do cook curry and stink up the place. Then she rambled on about Jews. easily the most openly racist person I've dealt with my entire life. Back in the day I heard there was anti-catholic sentiment because they didn't want to smell fish dinners being cooked on Fridays.

Of course some people also make an assumption of wells and I can also backfire. Five years ago I briefly dated a woman who actually try to hit me up for $5,000 for a breast reduction (size H) and then message me randomly one day hitting me up for $200. I didn't give her either one but for some reason she thought I would just give 5k out like it's nothing.

Some people outside of the United States think the country looks like one big New York City all over the place. Some from out of Massachusetts think that is Boston and nothing else. When we when I deal with foreigners they tend to know major cities but not actual States.
I live in Malaysia. Conversations like that are pretty much par for the course.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:38 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
When we when I deal with foreigners they tend to know major cities but not actual States.
Is that surprising? How many people have heard of Rome or Paris? How many people have heard of the regions where Rome or Paris are located?

Old 04-22-2021, 07:48 AM

3,249 posts, read 1,739,106 times
After living in New England for 32 years, Massatwo****s specifically for 18, It's my opinion its not so much snobbiness as it is outright willful ignorance and preconceived beliefs. Want examples? Have a look at any threads concerning politics or the pandemic.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:51 AM

16,305 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabfan84 View Post
Showy is not the same as snobby. New England has a reputation for being snobby, not showy.
That's a good point...it's not like LA where people like to show off fancy clothes and cars...however I do think people here can be pretty showy with where they live and go to school, job title, where they work, even with their political beliefs. In the end that's still showy, just a different kind of showy.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:04 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
New Jersey and like Maryland are so flat." -A Brandeis graduate who lives in Weston now who I 110% blocked because 200% psycho.
This person graduated from Brandeis but never heard of the Maryland panhandle.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:15 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
One of my more recent jobs was at a cambridge tech company with lots of millennials who were younger than me. I have to say they weren't snobby at all. If anything it is the people my age (i'm 42) and older who are snobby. These folks weren't into brand name clothes or cars at all and they all had rich parents. They did have weird diets which I guess could be seen as snobby by some-vegan, gluten free, lactose free, etc. Maybe one day these folks will be snobby or they put on a show at work, but I was surprised that they didn't care about designer clothes and big diamond engagement rings the way everyone did when i was in my 20's.

Modern day materialism has become more about "experiences" that "things". It's still materialism all the way and can be equally shallow, but still "different".

Old 04-22-2021, 08:16 AM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Thanks for keeping such an open mind about younger people :-). I am a good deal older than you (closing in on 62), but I still get tired of hearing older people who are over the top in their negative attitudes about younger people.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:52 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Is that surprising? How many people have heard of Rome or Paris? How many people have heard of the regions where Rome or Paris are located?
Right but the USA is made of states, it's in the title. If you tell me United Kingdom I'm automatically assuming parts of it and can ID the parts same with Australia. Sometimes I just say the region of the country from a directional perspective because "New England" doesn't follow well outside of the country.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:49 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
Maybe things have changed a bit, but growing up in Billerica in the 80s and 90s, I never found the locals to be snobby. Actually I had always appreciated the economic diversity the town had in those days. If a rich kid in school flaunted his wealth too much, he'd usually be put in his place. Although sometimes trips to Chelmsford or Westford would awaken me to some of the snobbiness in the area. And as much as I loved Boston, I usually preferred a night out in Lowell because the people always seemed down to earth...or they wanted to beat the **** out of you.

It wasn't until I went to college in CT with people from NJ and Long Island did truly see/listen to young men and woman brag about their wealth and all the other things they had. It was rather off putting.
That was the 80s/90s. All you're describing makes sense for what you're describing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts