Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2021, 03:23 PM

5,111 posts, read 2,668,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaloop View Post
Would you say that MA is traditional, too, if not to a lesser degree? Is it really the liberal haven that it's made out to be? Or is MA completely its own thing?
It's a Democratic Party haven more than a liberal haven. The real question is the Democratic Party a liberal haven? I say, not any longer. It is now a multinational corporate shill that uses leftism to advance its agenda instead of the other party which uses conservatism to advance its MNC agenda. However, in Western MA you will still find traditional liberal to right leaning Democrats. They just don't have many candidates in office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 03:30 PM

19 posts, read 20,413 times
What I would do is find a property abutting Mass Audubon Property, so you could eventually donate it to them. Conservation groups do not necessarily want random parcels of land if they do not serve an ecological niche.

Here is their [seemingly very limited] hunting policy: https://www.massaudubon.org/our-cons...g-fishing-faqs

One problem solved with this property in Shelburne: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M91676-16101

8 acres abutting 855 Audubon Acres: https://www.massaudubon.org/get-outd...h-ledges/about

Don't know about deer-in-front-yard concerns or ATV use.

Last edited by Apple Country; 06-02-2021 at 03:42 PM..

Old 06-02-2021, 04:26 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I think that's the other issue that you might find is that to be frank cheaper housing is not only harder to find but it doesn't always stay cheap and you don't find that many new builder is looking to make it cheap.

There are such things as income restricted housing which tend to be mixed but it can be a bit controversial generally speaking 10% of houses are supposed to be affordable Massachusetts. Violations can lead to development totally exempt from town zoning and oversight. Keep in mind what's affordable here might be income levels that can be normal somewhere else.

I'm not trying to sound like a class is there anything but I would make a strong argument that this isn't exactly a state that you can slack off in. If you drop out of high school you just going to end up in public housing or homeless shelter prison. I'd highly recommend to anybody graduating to either get a degree or get into a trade school or join the military. Sometimes they can be hard to tough out jobs but it can pay off. A co-worker of mine I just found out is leaving for another job at he's getting a very significant boost in Pay of about 75%. There is no way that we can afford to keep them. I think he just has an associate's but he had the guts to stay on for 5 years in a very volatile situation.

Old 06-02-2021, 04:29 PM

82 posts, read 77,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Country View Post
What I would do is find a property abutting Mass Audubon Property, so you could eventually donate it to them. Conservation groups do not necessarily want random parcels of land if they do not serve an ecological niche.

Here is their [seemingly very limited] hunting policy: https://www.massaudubon.org/our-cons...g-fishing-faqs

One problem solved with this property in Shelburne: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M91676-16101

8 acres abutting 855 Audubon Acres: https://www.massaudubon.org/get-outd...h-ledges/about

Don't know about deer-in-front-yard concerns or ATV use.
Wow that house and property bordering the Audubon land is so beautiful! THANK YOU for sending!
While we are looking more specifically for land to build a small (under 1000sq ft) sustainable home, we are open to existing homes if it checks all our other boxes. That property is tempting! I'm saving that one to my favorites in the off chance it doesn't get scooped up quickly.

Audubon's hunting policy is one of the reasons we don't donate money to their organization, but we do support their mission otherwise. It's a similar situation with The Nature Conservancy and Sierra Club.

Thanks again! You are most kind and helpful!

Old 06-02-2021, 04:34 PM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Wow that house and property bordering the Audubon land is so beautiful! THANK YOU for sending!
While we are looking more specifically for land to build a small (under 1000sq ft) sustainable home, we are open to existing homes if it checks all our other boxes. That property is tempting! I'm saving that one to my favorites in the off chance it doesn't get scooped up quickly.

Audubon's hunting policy is one of the reasons we don't donate money to their organization, but we do support their mission otherwise. It's a similar situation with The Nature Conservancy and Sierra Club.

Thanks again! You are most kind and helpful!
They're definitely out there, here is a "Delightful antique home on 8.6 beautiful acres bordered by wildlife sanctuary with access to the many trails. "
https://delaprealestate.com/listing/...urne-ma-01370/

and "Country Living At It's Absolute Best. Build your forever home on over 10.46 acres of land with approximately 1600 feet of Road Frontage. Frontage is on Old Warren Road and Boston Road (Route 67). Nature Lovers this land is totally surrounded by Palmer Wildlife Management area land. "
https://delaprealestate.com/listing/...lmer-ma-01069/

Old 06-02-2021, 05:05 PM

Apple Country and OutdoorLover, it's so funny you BOTH found the same house! We love it!

My husband and I are feeling a little more positive, thanks guys! Right now Shelburne, Shelburne Falls and Conway are looking good. There are three state parks in that area that appear to prohibit hunting, plus the Audubon land.

As LOTR fanatics, it would be a huge bonus if we could live on the borders of Buckland.

https://youtu.be/ufFOghMt1yI?t=31

Old 06-02-2021, 05:39 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,601,386 times
This map looks very interesting

https://mass-eoeea.maps.arcgis.com/a...8c7149d885ad30

Old 06-02-2021, 05:57 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
I thought for a long time I was opposed to hunting but then I had an honest conversation with myself and decided that for those of us who eat meat that hunting for it ourselves is more honest than buying it all wrapped up nicely in the grocery store after it's been slaughtered and butchered for us by others.

Killing a deer for the dinner table -- how is that different than the factory killing of beef cattle, pigs, lambs, chickens, etc.??

Big game hunting for the sake of killing / thrill of killing is a bird of a different feather...

Honestly, if I had to hunt and butcher my own meat, I'd be a vegetarian--but I've stopped dis-liking hunters for their own food. Maybe they're more honest than I am.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
We're on it! Thank you very much!

Old 06-02-2021, 06:18 PM

15,433 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
You are pretty much saying wild life is better than farmed life. Completely taking hunting out of the picture.
Hunting has nothing to do with wild life. Wild life doesn't need hunting, it has happened perfectly fine without hunters for hundreds of millions of years.

I never said I want to eliminate hunting. I said hunters like to shoot living things, that's why they hunt. Not because they love the environment, because they like the process of hunting.
You could easily fund conservation by other means if you wanted to, the fees are ridiculously low anyway. It costs to park at a state park than to hunt.
Considering that there are US native animals that have been hunted to extinction (or almost to extinction) it really doesn't sound right to claim the environment would collapse without hunters. Again, nature find it's own balance without humans perfectly fine. That's why we exist.
Wild life absolutely needs to be hunted in many cases. I don't hunt because I like to kill things, I don't really enjoy that part. I hunt to maintain the balance of species, remove invasive animals, and to provide some food. There are 5 million+ deer in Texas, and about 20% of them need to be removed each year to prevent over population. There are millions of feral hogs here as well, and 75% need to be killed each year to keep the population from growing. We also have exotic species like Axis deer, nilgai, and blackbuck that were introduced. The state encourages hunting for those by having no closed season and no bag limit. That applies to hogs as well.

Absent hunting, deer and feral hogs would be out of control in Texas.

Quote:

in_newengland, we would absolutely love to more to England. My husband's job even has a location there. But we don't fly and that would make it very difficult to visit family back home. Speaking of England, did you know you cannot actually own land there, and that all land is technically owned by the queen? I just learned that recently. But it sounds like such an amazing place to live otherwise.
The statement on Crown ownership of all land in England would surprise my friends who have freehold title to their property in England.

Quote:

Sorry, but if you oppose limited hunting for management you are not an animal supporter. Unmanaged land ends up with deer and other animals starving to death in horrific conditions. Since there are no large numbers of predators to keep prey populations in check, some hunting may be necessary when the the number of animals present exceeds the carrying capacity of the land.

When feral and invasive species are taken into account, the need for management by hunting becomes even clearer. A friend of mine owns 550 acres in South Central Texas. We feral hog groups of 50 or more animals. That group can destroy 5 acres in a night. So, we hunt them to keep the numbers down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts