U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 02:18 PM

9,186 posts, read 14,244,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaloop View Post
I believe you and will stay away!

So the hippie stuff is at least a little bit true? Do any specific towns come to mind that are particularly hippie-ish? And by hippie I mean tree-hugging, nature/peace-loving, granola-eating, into meditation and stuff types.
If you were looking for hippies, that's where you would find them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 02:39 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,200,971 times
Hippies can live anywhere. I live in Worcester and bought my house from a hippy. He earned his living from reselling online, enjoyed skinny dipping in Lake Quinsigamond and decorated the house in peace signs, hearts, flowers, cats and colorful rainbows. I happen to love peace, cats, flowers, hearts and rainbows too.

Old 06-02-2021, 06:50 PM

19,850 posts, read 14,908,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Rents in the downtown are about $1300 a month.

Cheaper in Great Barrington, Greenfield, North Attleboro, Fall River, Fitchburg, Pittsfield. The Berkshires and Franklin county is a bit cheaper. Most of western Mass is consolidating to Hampshire and Hamden County. Even before covid I noticed this. I'm not saying the area is booming but if you have a place with a flat population next to one that is shrinking people will start going to the flat over the shrink. Healthcare, food access, transit, education, it's all consolidating.

https://www.rentdata.org/states/massachusetts/2018

That HUD data is for the metro areas, not an accurate way of measuring housing costs on a town by town basis. Saying that, I doubt Springfield is the cheapest for either average rents or median home value. That would probably be North Adams, Athol or somewhere like that.

Old 06-02-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Anyway, I'm floored that this thing has over 150k views and that this guy has 350k+ subscribers. It's not at all funny.

Knowing that level of talent can attract so much interest and clicks, I'm really starting to reconsider my career choice...

Old 06-02-2021, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Just curious, when he shows the color-coded map of MA, is he correct in his placement of the hippie regions?

Pretty much, although that's not his map. It's been posted on this forum several times. But still, I doubt this guy has ever set foot in Massachusetts, and would be even more shocked if he has set foot in that area of the state.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:21 PM

82 posts, read 69,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
If you were looking for hippies, that's where you would find them.
CaseyB, I must have missed something. Where are you referring to?

Old 06-02-2021, 07:35 PM

9,186 posts, read 14,244,087 times
Quote:
CaseyB, I must have missed something. Where are you referring to?
The hippie regions are placed where they ought to be.

I've seen that video before. Other than his mispronunciation of the Berkshires (it's "Berk-sheers") and his failed attempt at the Boston accent, much of it is accurate. Although massnative is right - that is not Plymouth Harbor.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:53 PM

684 posts, read 367,850 times
I'm guessing a large portion of this guy's views come from people in forums who repost is videos, and the reactions to his video from various posters. I can't imagine seeking out this guy's videos.

That being said, the OP is new to City-Data and the Mass forum. I have to wonder if Tupaloop and Nick Johnson (the guy who made the video) are the same people?

Hey Tupaloop! Is this true?

Old 06-02-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
The hippie regions are placed where they ought to be.

I've seen that video before. Other than his mispronunciation of the Berkshires (it's "Berk-sheers") and his failed attempt at the Boston accent, much of it is accurate. Although massnative is right - that is not Plymouth Harbor.
Much of it is inaccurate as well. I mean, Newburyport the wealthiest town in Essex County??? I don't think so...

And the Plymouth photo isn't the only one that appears to be from outside of Mass., several of the Cape and Islands ones look very suspect.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:20 PM

82 posts, read 69,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I'm guessing a large portion of this guy's views come from people in forums who repost is videos, and the reactions to his video from various posters. I can't imagine seeking out this guy's videos.

That being said, the OP is new to City-Data and the Mass forum. I have to wonder if Tupaloop and Nick Johnson (the guy who made the video) are the same people?

Hey Tupaloop! Is this true?
Lol no! I am new to the Mass forum because we recently started to consider moving there. There are no ulterior motives, I promise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts