U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 11:23 AM

19,850 posts, read 14,901,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
Not really, maybe on Newbury Street or the Vineyard with a Preppie look?
I'm talking straight out of that Dumb and Dumber scene where they get cowboy outfits when they hit Aspen.

But- This was in a tourist town, and 50% + of the tourists and second home owners were Texan. Lots of retired baby-boomers and trust-funders. People with nothing to do but go to pilates and Starbucks.

New Englanders just don't show off their money or idleness like they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I used to see this quite frequently at some of the coffee shops i'd stop in located in the northern suburbs. Reading, Lynnfield, Andover, Wilmington, etc. There was one particular coffee shop i used to stop in where you would frequently see 5-6 yoga-pants wearing moms sitting and having a coffee at 10AM almost daily with lots of brand new luxury SUV's in the parking lot talking about their glamorous personal lives for all to hear. I got a chuckle out of her comment and immediately thought of that social group when i read it.

Certainly it's not widespread, but that sort of lifestyle does exist in pockets around the state.
Sounds like Hingham.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 11:24 AM

3,808 posts, read 2,763,017 times
Quote:

Have you priced a new Legacy Outback XT or ... relevant to my neck of the woods ... a new LX Kubota? Dry kidding aside, I do find the Northeast prefers policy/education virtue signaling over financial signaling.

No shortage of very public BLM or prestige uni signage, but discussions of the $15k road bike or trip to Big Sky are reserved for dinner parties.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:34 AM

26,071 posts, read 26,179,852 times
https://www.trulia.com/MA/Western_Massachusetts/

Here are some houses. Some are in places you should probably avoid like Springfield, Holyoke (drugs, crime), or just odd locations like Ware or Monson or Palmer but others are in pretty good places, especially Southampton. Northampton is great, Southampton is very quiet and more rural, Wilbraham is a beautiful town. You don't have to pay those Boston prices unless you want to live around Boston. Two hundreds miles to the west is a whole 'nother world (which a lot of us prefer.)

Old 06-21-2021, 11:35 AM

2,775 posts, read 1,659,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Sounds like Hingham.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
No shortage of very public BLM or prestige uni signage, but discussions of the $15k road bike or trip to Big Sky are reserved for dinner parties.
I have never seen as many BLM signs in one town as I have seen in Hingham. Out of curiosity My wife and I googled the demographics and low and behold - 0.40% Black or African American

Shows you how much they actually matter.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Here are some houses. Some are in places you should probably avoid like Springfield, Holyoke (drugs, crime), or just odd locations like Ware or Monson or Palmer but others are in pretty good places, especially Southampton. Northampton is great, Southampton is very quiet and more rural, Wilbraham is a beautiful town. You don't have to pay those Boston prices unless you want to live around Boston. Two hundreds miles to the west is a whole 'nother world (which a lot of us prefer.)

You mean one hundred miles west? Two hundred miles west of Boston would put you in New York.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I have never seen as many BLM signs in one town as I have seen in Hingham. Out of curiosity My wife and I googled the demographics and low and behold - 0.40% Black or African American

Shows you how much they actually matter.

Sounds about right.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:42 AM

26,071 posts, read 26,179,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You mean one hundred miles west? Two hundred miles west of Boston would put you in New York.
Yeh, you are correct! We always figured about a 2 hour drive but it's just over 100 miles on the Mass Pike and other roads that connect.

Old 06-21-2021, 01:05 PM

23,424 posts, read 15,252,942 times
Quote:
Not really, maybe on Newbury Street or the Vineyard with a Preppie look?
I'm talking straight out of that Dumb and Dumber scene where they get cowboy outfits when they hit Aspen.

But- This was in a tourist town, and 50% + of the tourists and second home owners were Texan. Lots of retired baby-boomers and trust-funders. People with nothing to do but go to pilates and Starbucks.

Sounds like Steamboat Springs. ACK and MVY have the business jets lined up just like Aspen. It’s a short flight from Teterboro.

Old 06-21-2021, 01:12 PM

23,424 posts, read 15,252,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Have you priced a new Legacy Outback XT or ... relevant to my neck of the woods ... a new LX Kubota? Dry kidding aside, I do find the Northeast prefers policy/education virtue signaling over financial signaling.

An Outback XT Limited has a street price of a bit over $35k, or will once the supply problem is sorted out. In 2021, a lower trim level Camry is a $30k car.

Old 06-21-2021, 02:40 PM

7,756 posts, read 6,997,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Development is happening everywhere. Crime is usually criminals against other criminals. I lived in downtown springfield for five years and hardly anything happened at my complex. I don't do drugs and I'm not in a gang. There's no *surprise* criminals. Things are more transparent now. Every time you hear of someone drug bust or arrest google the name and you'll see the rap sheet. the other aspect is not all in urban areas that do crimes are even from there. I've seen my share of times of people in the south shore going to get drugs in Brockton and getting caught. at one point there was a drug offender registry planned to go on top of sex offenders but it was blocked.

There's plenty of cheaper places than Boston in Mass. You don't have to live in areas to see them either. Crain Estate I tend to like myself.

As for showing off wealth I saw a McClarean on the way to work. Easily 100K if not 200K but cars aren't really symbols of wealth, waste maybe but not wealth.

Your kids will qualify for in state tuition anywhere in the state and the same laws apply. The biggest UMass campus is in Amherst and the biggest state event is the Big E in West Springfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts