U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:14 PM

25 posts, read 104,594 times

Advertisements

I've just returned from house-hunting in the Worcester area and I'll give you my input.

First of all, everyone made Worcester sound like ghetto-central. Although I'm sure there are bad spots, I saw some perfectly nice neighborhoods, especially on the West/NW side. Of course, we lived in bad neighborhood in Chicago for a while so maybe I'm not too easily intimidated. I will say that most of the resources I've checked say that the public schools in Worcester are crap. Keep that in mind if you'll have school age kids. Otherwise, maybe it won't matter as much.

I saw homes in Westboro, Northboro, Shrewsbury, Grafton, and Holden. Our original preference was to buy in Shrewsbury but there just wasn't much we liked in our price range. I saw some seriously messed up houses. I ended up putting an offer down on a place in Holden, which had a nice small-town feel.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 06:17 AM

458 posts, read 1,661,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolatry View Post
I've just returned from house-hunting in the Worcester area and I'll give you my input.

First of all, everyone made Worcester sound like ghetto-central. Although I'm sure there are bad spots, I saw some perfectly nice neighborhoods, especially on the West/NW side. Of course, we lived in bad neighborhood in Chicago for a while so maybe I'm not too easily intimidated. I will say that most of the resources I've checked say that the public schools in Worcester are crap. Keep that in mind if you'll have school age kids. Otherwise, maybe it won't matter as much.

I saw homes in Westboro, Northboro, Shrewsbury, Grafton, and Holden. Our original preference was to buy in Shrewsbury but there just wasn't much we liked in our price range. I saw some seriously messed up houses. I ended up putting an offer down on a place in Holden, which had a nice small-town feel.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.
Thanks for saying that about Worcester. It's a city, so it's got bad spots, but there are good areas! Holden is lovely. I'm sure you'll be happy there.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:15 AM

25 posts, read 104,594 times
Seriously, the realtor acted like my kids would be knifed if we set foot in Worcester. I got out and drove around by myself in the evenings and didn't think it was better or worse that some of the other places I've lived.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:15 AM

122 posts, read 229,249 times
We have lived in Worcester for 20 years & we live in one of the neighborhoods on the NW side. Our kids have been in the public school system since preschool & have done very well. My son is graduating this year from high school & he got accepted to every college he applied to. We could afford to live in the suburbs but don't really see the need. The money we are saving living in the house we live in will go a long way toward getting our children to graduate college with minimal debt.

As far as the bad neighborhoods go, even they are not as bad a some on this board make them out to be. I am frequenlty at the YMCA on main street & I just chuckle to myself when I read about how bad the area is. Yes there are alot of poor people living in that area but the vast majority are good people

Old 07-06-2008, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 10,139 times
Holden is a small town, growing in diversity, albeit slowly. Worcester is a treasure of ethnic peoples and opportunities for those who just look! I live in Holden and love having Worcester as a neighbor. I've found that she has a base of truly involved people who love her and are willing to fight for her. Check out the Hanover Center for the Arts or see how many private entities contribute to the outstanding womens' shelter, Abby's House, it takes no public or private funds and has a budget well over a million, with 5 locations.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 18,038 times
Hi I am moving to Worcester next week and having trouble deciding where to live. I work in downtown Worcester on Chestnut St. Since I dont have a car I am confused about where I can live. I was looking at a place on Franklin St which is a 5 min walk from the office. Any ideas about this area? Or would anybody know any areas where I can take a bus to work?..Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:32 PM

464 posts, read 1,349,845 times
The only really scary area in Worcester is Main South, the area south of Main Street along Chandler Street. It's home to Clark University and a lot of poverty, violence, and drugs.

I would also avoid the area near WPI, a huge party school.

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 08-02-2008 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 08-02-2008, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 18,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
The only really scary area in Worcester is Main South, the area south of Main Street along Chandler Street. It's home to Clark University and a lot of poverty, violence, and drugs.

I would also avoid the area near WPI, a huge party school.

Franklin Street looks on the fringes of this area....would you say its a place that should be avoided? I am only worried that I cant even walk out to the supermarket or something. Please advise...How about Sunderland Rd ... Wexford Village area . Really confused!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts