U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 35,077 times

Advertisements

Hello

My wife and I are moving to worcester area this fall. She will be going to pharmacy scholl in worcester. We are looking to purchase a 2 bedroom condo in Worcester, Shrewsbury, Northborough area. Any particular areas in Worcester that are nice or any that I should stay away from?

Your input is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 05:37 PM

54 posts, read 361,804 times
The most common answer you are likely to get is to stay away from the Main South area. That said, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding what you are looking for as there have been many condos and townhouses built in the area. Many of these are in converted old factory buildings. Price-wise, you shouldn't have a problem since it's definitely a buyer's market, and Worcester never has been a hot city to live in.

Good luck to your wife at MCPHS

Old 05-13-2008, 06:42 PM

967 posts, read 4,630,293 times
Best areas of Worcester: Near Assumption College/Salisbury St & Tatnuck. Some good areas: zip code 01602, most of 01603 & 01604 (past #460 Grafton st) &
Then there are neighborhoods like Burncoat (I think 01606), Forest / Grove (some of the zip code is 01604 but not all).

Areas to stay away from: Dorchester & Providence Sts., Lincoln, Belmont, Crystal Park area, Main South altogether & Lower May, as well as Pleasant St below Park (although Upper Pleasant is nice.) Really all the streets off of Main St aren't good.

Shrewsbury is lovely. I don't prefer the area near Lake Quinsigamond but that's just a personal preference, it's not dangerous or anything. Holden is also adjacent to Worcester & is lovely, just a bit of a more rural area in some respects. Another thought is Grafton, which is next to Worcester. There are lots of pretty condos there as well. You can check out positiverelocation.com or boston.com/realestate/community to read more about these towns.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 35,077 times
Thank you for your replies. I am going to be there this weekend to look at some properties. Since someone mentioned that Worcester has never been a hot city to live in. What do you thinka bout Shrewsbury, Northborough, Westborough. What other near by town should I consider. I may in IT/Networking Professional and would be looking to find a job there once my wife settles in.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:57 PM

54 posts, read 361,804 times
Here is an article about all the condos being built in Worcester and the surrounding areas. This might help give you an idea of what is available in the area.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:49 PM

413 posts, read 1,192,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckdrop View Post
Thank you for your replies. I am going to be there this weekend to look at some properties. Since someone mentioned that Worcester has never been a hot city to live in. What do you thinka bout Shrewsbury, Northborough, Westborough. What other near by town should I consider. I may in IT/Networking Professional and would be looking to find a job there once my wife settles in.
Puckdrop,
I live in Holden and work in Worcester. Scarletfire's advice is 100% correct. If you choose Holden, try to stay on the Worcester side of 122A . Otherwise the traffic on 122A can be tough.

Smiledoc1

Old 05-19-2008, 11:53 PM

17,808 posts, read 31,199,813 times
Westboro has plenty of IT work, and it's a pleasant, quiet town. Shrewsbury is very nice, too. I don't know Northboro- don't know what the commute route is, especially if you work in Westboro. But the border towns to Worcester are all quite nice. I think the only real downer is Worcester itself.
The condo article posted above was interesting. The lofts sound beautiful, but how do you fund a condo association if the units aren't sold? Maybe there are some great rentals available. Best wishes.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:57 PM

10,756 posts, read 34,343,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiledoc1 View Post
Puckdrop,
I live in Holden and work in Worcester. Scarletfire's advice is 100% correct. If you choose Holden, try to stay on the Worcester side of 122A . Otherwise the traffic on 122A can be tough.

Smiledoc1
I always LOVED Holden. Such a pretty town but is it still expensive like it used to be?

I used to get a kick out of the old joke "Hi my name is Dick Hurtz from Holden" but I'm easily entertained.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:11 AM

458 posts, read 2,227,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckdrop View Post
Hello

My wife and I are moving to worcester area this fall. She will be going to pharmacy scholl in worcester. We are looking to purchase a 2 bedroom condo in Worcester, Shrewsbury, Northborough area. Any particular areas in Worcester that are nice or any that I should stay away from?

Your input is much appreciated.

Thanks,
We recently moved out of Worcester. I would think carefully before purchasing a condo if you are planning on moving when your wife is done with school. They are hard to sell and you need to be in a really great location and get a really great price in order for it to be worth your while. Otherwise you could get stranded without being able to sell on the other end. You'd be better off with a half duplex with no condo fees or a small home. We used to live off Goddard Memorial Drive near "Airport Hill" The streets there are Parsons Hill, Ledgecrest, Nutmeg... It's a nice tucked-away area, and I personally think that kind of a neighborhood has better resale than a condo. Again, be sure to get a good price so you can get your money out of the house on the other end.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:19 PM

413 posts, read 1,192,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I always LOVED Holden. Such a pretty town but is it still expensive like it used to be?

I used to get a kick out of the old joke "Hi my name is Dick Hurtz from Holden" but I'm easily entertained.
Well, Holden is more expensive than Worcester, but it is less expensive than Westboro. I imagine one could check the City Data to find out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts