Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 09:23 PM

6,570 posts, read 6,736,907 times

Advertisements

Russo's in Watertown to close after 100 years in business. Talk about an institution and mainstay in the Watertown area. I used to go over there all the time as a kid when I visited family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 08:54 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,119,515 times
This is terrible news. Such a great store with a huge variety of great products. Buckle up for the Bezos takeover.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:58 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
I love Russo's although I'm not in Watertown much so I don't have as much opportunity to shop there as I would like. The produce and the foods available there were all great and the prices were pretty reasonable. Really a shame that they are closing and that no one is continuing the legacy.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:41 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
I loved that place so much.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:53 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Such a bummer. Early on in the pandemic, their Russos in a Box was hugely helpful.

To get the same range and quality of produce, you have to go to about 5 stores and hope for the best. I truly hope someone buys the concept because it was always packed. It would be beyond disappointing to see it turn into a Whole Foods or condos.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:17 PM

604 posts, read 561,386 times
Pretty sure it's already been announced it will become condos/apartments. I don't blame the owner for retiring and cashing out (the land is worth millions), but it would have been nice to keep it running.

The Roche Brothers are the Arsenal is good, and there are Whole Foods and Trader Joe's across the river in Newtonville, but it's a bummer for the people in that direct neighborhood. The Stop and Shop is ok but the Shaws over there in Waltham is pretty dreadful. I suppose you could drive towards Belmont and find some good groceries as well.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:42 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,119,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
Shaws over there in Waltham is pretty dreadful.
That whole stip mall is depressing

Old 08-17-2021, 07:07 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
I'd like to venture to Russo's for my first time before it's history, but I'm afraid I may fall in love with it, then regret its closing soonafter.

So what's somewhat comparable in the region? Lamberts' two stores, Volante Farms in Needham, that place in Lexington?

Old 08-17-2021, 08:50 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I'd like to venture to Russo's for my first time before it's history, but I'm afraid I may fall in love with it, then regret its closing soonafter.

So what's somewhat comparable in the region? Lamberts' two stores, Volante Farms in Needham, that place in Lexington?
I love going to Volante Farms but honestly if I could waive a magic wand and replace it with Russo's I would in a heartbeat. Russo's was much more reasonably priced and it had a larger/wider selection of products.

Volante Farms is an interesting contrast though now that you mention it. When the current generation of ownership took over a little, seasonal farmstand instead of shutting it down and cashing in on the value of the land they instead built a large year round farmstand that the people of Needham really enjoy and benefit from. They've added tons of products compared to what the little seasonal farmstand once had, but it's not at the same level in terms of variety as Russo's.

Old 08-18-2021, 12:27 AM

6,570 posts, read 6,736,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post

Wilson Farm in Lexington is comparable, but not really quite on the same level as Russo's. There is nothing like Russo's in Massachusetts that I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts