Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 12:40 PM

12,840 posts, read 22,014,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimwriter View Post
I grew up in Sudbury MA, and want to relocate. I love the nature of this area, with many places to walk, run and spend time outside. I want the same environment but with much higher racial diversity, and access to art communities and events, hopefully still within an hour of the ocean. So I don't want a super urban feel, but I want some of the features that a city offers. Any suggestions for places in MA that would fit that? Thank you!
What "features of the city" do you want? Are you basically looking for Sudbury with a better town center? Milton checks many of the boxes, but there's not much "urban" about it at all and there's no great town center. The Milton Village area on the edge of town abuts Lower Mills which has a handful of restaurants. There's also a section of town that abuts Mattapan Square which is an ungentrified stretch of shopping/restaurants. East Milton Square is also a tiny urban pocket. But none have all that much going on.

I Like the Lexington suggestion. It has a defined, clear town center with a good deal of shopping and dining. It also has the Minuteman bikeway going through it which is excellent for walking/running and Arlington's Great Meadows (largely in Lexington despite the name) and Whipple Hill are really peaceful places to be outside.

Winchester and Melrose have great town centers but are also not super high density and are located on opposite ends of Middlesex Fells from each other. The Fells is awesome for hiking, biking, and being outside. Beverly is another option as it has beaches in town, a nice town center, and several parks and conservation areas in town and nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 01:07 PM

19 posts, read 20,405 times
My white collar 495 wooded suburb kids soccer team has kids with Black, Arab, Chinese, Indian, LGBTQ, and disabled families. Is that the diversity OP desires or socioeconomic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
Fitchburg is gentrifying quickly and going big on Arts. Downtown is definitely urban, but the northern edge of the city feels like Vermont.
https://commonwealthmagazine.org/art...s-and-culture/
Actually a good idea. I'm not sure I would agree with the gentrifying quickly comment but I like that Fitchburg is a place that is real.

Old 09-29-2021, 01:10 PM

23,545 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
What "features of the city" do you want? Are you basically looking for Sudbury with a better town center? Milton checks many of the boxes, but there's not much "urban" about it at all and there's no great town center. The Milton Village area on the edge of town abuts Lower Mills which has a handful of restaurants. There's also a section of town that abuts Mattapan Square which is an ungentrified stretch of shopping/restaurants. East Milton Square is also a tiny urban pocket. But none have all that much going on.

East Milton Square is the town center for all intents and purposes. You have Quincy and Boston right next door for all they have to offer. Milton has the Blue Hills and tons of open space, plenty of breathing room to spread out like Sudbury (although most of the actual neighborhoods will be more congested). Like I said no place is 100%, but I think Milton is as close as you can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I Like the Lexington suggestion. It has a defined, clear town center with a good deal of shopping and dining. It also has the Minuteman bikeway going through it which is excellent for walking/running and Arlington's Great Meadows (largely in Lexington despite the name) and Whipple Hill are really peaceful places to be outside.

Winchester and Melrose have great town centers but are also not super high density and are located on opposite ends of Middlesex Fells from each other. The Fells is awesome for hiking, biking, and being outside. Beverly is another option as it has beaches in town, a nice town center, and several parks and conservation areas in town and nearby.

These are all crowded inner suburbs, nothing at all like Sudbury despite the fact that they abut public lands. I'm not aware of diversity in any of those towns, other than Lexington which I guess has a lot of Asians working in tech/med. Beverly might have a mix of urban/suburban and rural, but the rural parts are super exclusive. It's also still lily white from what I know, despite some more economic diversity than these other places mentioned.

Old 09-29-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Country View Post
Actually a good idea. I'm not sure I would agree with the gentrifying quickly comment but I like that Fitchburg is a place that is real.

No it is not. JUST STOP.

Old 09-29-2021, 01:19 PM

16,356 posts, read 8,174,665 times
Braintree and Weymouth could be added to the lists too. Milton would still be my #1 pick.

Old 09-29-2021, 01:19 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
OP this is as close as you'll get, and even Milton is far from 100%.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but the rest of the suggestions you got here are just awful.
Milton meets two of the requirements. Please check yourself.

Old 09-29-2021, 01:27 PM

16,356 posts, read 8,174,665 times
Milton meets both requirements. Parts of it have an urban feel and there is plenty of nature - blue hills, Cunningham park, Turner's pond, houghtons pond just to name a few.

Old 09-29-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Milton meets two of the requirements. Please check yourself.

Leafy/suburban environment..."CHECK"

Higher racial diversity..."CHECK"

Access to art communities and events (nearby)..."CHECK"

Near the ocean..."CHECK"

It's far from perfect, but it certainly "checks" more boxes than anywhere else floated so far.

Old 09-29-2021, 01:54 PM

12,840 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
East Milton Square is the town center for all intents and purposes. You have Quincy and Boston right next door for all they have to offer. Milton has the Blue Hills and tons of open space, plenty of breathing room to spread out like Sudbury (although most of the actual neighborhoods will be more congested). Like I said no place is 100%, but I think Milton is as close as you can get.
There's not much to East Milton Square at all. I wouldn't even bother touting it as a destination if I'm trying to sell anyone on Milton. If shopping/dining are the "city amenities" the OP is looking for, they're going to likely be heading outside of the city limits. Thankfully, Quincy Center is coming along nicely and is only about 5 minutes from East Milton Square. Anywhere worth going in Boston is a bit more of a drive and not really akin to being in-town. Yes, no place is 100% but you seem to be set on Milton being on the only fit. I think it checks most boxes, but unless the OP comes in and clarifies a little, I don't know how anyone can say it's Milton and there's no room for any other considerations.

Quote:
These are all crowded inner suburbs, nothing at all like Sudbury despite the fact that they abut public lands. I'm not aware of diversity in any of those towns, other than Lexington which I guess has a lot of Asians working in tech/med. Beverly might have a mix of urban/suburban and rural, but the rural parts are super exclusive. It's also still lily white from what I know, despite some more economic diversity than these other places mentioned.
"Crowded" is subjective and places like Melrose and Winchester are downright quaint compared to nearby urban suburbs like Medford, most of Arlington, Malden, etc. But Lexington has exactly the same population density as Milton (which by the way, are both more than twice as dense as Sudbury - hence why we need the OP to clarify a bit). It has a much better and more active town center than Milton does, and it's comparable on the diversity front (less white, more Indian and Chinese whereas Milton is whiter than Lexington but also has a larger black population). The OP may very well prefer Milton, but it's absolutely a contender based on the info we have to work with.

Old 09-29-2021, 02:05 PM

12,408 posts, read 9,510,794 times
OP is also asking for diversity of residents, that's where Newburyport, Gloucester and Beverly wouldn't be great. I think Milton and Lexington are actually better in this regard. Lexington is pretty pricey, even for eastern Mass tho. Milton is not cheap, but is more affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts