Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 09:47 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times

Advertisements

Do we really need 160 state representatives on top of 40 state senators?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 09:48 AM

728 posts, read 973,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
What are the likely R districts in the proposed map?
2, 6, 7, 21, 39 ?
I feel like 36 is just as likely as 39. 37 is debatable.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:00 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
LOL it's a case of Brockton as a larger city simply having too many interest that might not align with Randolph tbh. Everyone is thinking Race first but there are other things to consider.
Eh, not sure I follow? I mean "may not align with Randolph", as opposed to East Bridgewater?

Old 10-14-2021, 10:04 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,070,576 times
Of course we do, how else can we make all those billions disappear with no questions asked? A single grifter grifting the entire billion will raise quite a few eyebrows (though not always, just look at good old chirlane over in NYC,) a lousy 6-7 millions grifted by each of the 160 isn’t even worth looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Do we really need 160 state representatives on top of 40 state senators?

Old 10-14-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Eh, not sure I follow? I mean "may not align with Randolph", as opposed to East Bridgewater?
Nope, note even close lol

My comment was:

Quote:
Randolph is going to be in a district with....West Bridgewater, Bridgewater and Easton? I wasn't 100% onboard with us being in a Brockton anchored district (as suggested by certain coalitions) for the fact that functionally, Randolph is an inner Metro South suburb (think Milton, Canton, Braintree, Quincy, Weymouth).
They (Diversity Coalition) proposed a district with Brockton, which is a much larger city with different socio-economics that do not fully align with Randolph. Not only do we not get a minority-majority district we get to be with 3 Brockton area towns anyway...which is even worse. We should be in districts with similar commercial/bedroom suburbs. We have no business with any towns in Bristol or Plymouth counties in my opinion.

Old 10-14-2021, 11:53 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Brockton should be with Avon Stoughton Randolph. 100%

Randolph being with Stoughton is a must so its not as though its isolated ad randomly tossed in with West Bridgewater. Wherever Stoughton is Randolph should be with.

Old 10-14-2021, 11:59 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Nope, note even close lol

My comment was:

They (Diversity Coalition) proposed a district with Brockton, which is a much larger city with different socio-economics that do not fully align with Randolph. Not only do we not get a minority-majority district we get to be with 3 Brockton area towns anyway...which is even worse. We should be in districts with similar commercial/bedroom suburbs. We have no business with any towns in Bristol or Plymouth counties in my opinion.
OK, but if the ultimate goal is a minority/majority district then I don't see that happening without Randolph and Brockton BOTH being in the equation. That's just doing the math in my head. I haven't crunched any real numbers, could be totally off there but...

Old 10-14-2021, 12:25 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
I'm looking at the senate and some of these changes are nothing. But the berkshires clearly has grown beyond. Southwick...I'm sorry but southwick is by far much closer to Springfield let alone westfield vs pittsfield. Now it's practically the size of RI. Good luck trying to represent that!

Old 10-14-2021, 12:32 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I'm looking at the senate and some of these changes are nothing. But the berkshires clearly has grown beyond. Southwick...I'm sorry but southwick is by far much closer to Springfield let alone westfield vs pittsfield. Now it's practically the size of RI. Good luck trying to represent that!
If an area gets loses population the district gets larger. There nothing to do about it.
Wait and see the 1st US congressional district.

Old 10-14-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
OK, but if the ultimate goal is a minority/majority district then I don't see that happening without Randolph and Brockton BOTH being in the equation. That's just doing the math in my head. I haven't crunched any real numbers, could be totally off there but...
So knowing this forum, I will state a disclaimer...I come in peace!

I'm not as hung up on the racial make up of the district. For example, White and Asian residents in Braintree & Holbrook benefit equally from a representative that vocalizes transportation (240 & 238 service), water needs (Tri-town water supply and the issues we have ALL THE TIME) and Trash (transfer station nonsense). Stoughton and Randolph have a kind of shared commercial district on 139 and demographic trends in Stoughton have made it more similar socio-economically. However Stoughton isn't the town that has the most shared interest with Randolph. That will always be Holbrook (which I will put money on being at least 30% Black in 10 years).

Currently Timilty primarily lobbies for MBTA projects that benefit the Mattapan Trolley (which serves Milton & Randolph/Holbrook T) but we have to think about how Braintree T station not having a direct bus connection to Randolph and Holbrook is a symptom of not having area representation. Anyone who lives in the aforementioned area knows how bad it can get with those lines (238 & 240) and how a lot of the time spent on route would be reduced if we had access to station. We won't get someone who cares about that from Brockton unfortunately. And why would they? They have the BAT.

I understand from a map perspective grouping towns by race (in this specific context) looks great....but we have real needs out here that don't always neatly follow those lines.

Sure it would be great to be able to elect a Cape Verdean Rep/Senator from the Northside. However how much time will be given to Brockton's crime issues, homelessness, BAT, etc. vs the needs of Randolph residents, which may be similar but no where near the same.

Meanwhile if we have a district composed of towns that have shared interest; our representative can lobby for more specific projects that would benefit folks in the town. Sorry to be "selfish" but in terms of what we need in Randolph, it's going to align a lot more closely to towns that are next to us (Braintree, Milton, Holbrook, Stoughton). There's a reason Timilty does great in Randolph every time he's on the ballot so I won't discredit him.

The Majority-Minority numbers do not work without Brockton & Randolph being in the same district but that doesn't mean this is Majority-Minority district is the best idea for the folks in these communities.

Just because we have a Black or Brown rep does not mean they will make the best decisions for everyone. And not to mention, having this district doesn't even guarantee that. Feels performative.

I will add an addendum that I have been pleasantly surprised by Representative Ayanna Pressley because she's all over the district. I've attended events with her present in Randolph and she goes out to Somerville from what I've seen. Overall the 7th Congressional has been positive for the town as we get included in a lot of programs that serve Dorchester, Mattapan and HP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts