U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 08:57 AM

729 posts, read 888,144 times

Advertisements

The new House and Senate districts have been proposed and despite the stated intention of empowering "Minority" communities...we've seen little of that in Metro South.

Randolph is going to be in a district with....West Bridgewater, Bridgewater and Easton? I wasn't 100% onboard with us being in a Brockton anchored district (as suggested by certain coalitions) for the fact that functionally, Randolph is an inner Metro South suburb (think Milton, Canton, Braintree, Quincy, Weymouth).

That being said, looks like nothing will really change for us on this side.

With the Braintree Highlands, the district will be carried by Timilty and other Milton Democrats for the foreseeable future (albeit the Highlands is a lot different nowadays). But this is a district that still feel's odd with the Bridgewater's in there. With the way that Randolph is growing we'll dominate the district in another 10 years but man, hopefully our interest remain aligned up here in 33 because I don't want any representatives coming from that part of Plymouth/Bristol counties.

https://www.masslive.com/politics/20...mmunities.html

https://malegislature.gov/StateHouse...te%20Statewide

Last edited by MassNative2891; 10-14-2021 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: Added map
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 09:09 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,008,972 times
Is there a place where it is possible to see the entire map in decent definition?

Old 10-14-2021, 09:44 AM

14,451 posts, read 17,577,159 times
Lynn, and Lynnfield in the same district? Talk about polar opposites.

Is there a map available of current districting?

Old 10-14-2021, 09:53 AM

19,747 posts, read 14,786,622 times
Wait...you're not suggesting lumping Brockton in there with Randolph and Stoughton (in effect giving them a minority voice), and another district for the Bridgewaters along with Middleboro and Whitman and Hanson (where maybe an "R" has a chance of getting in)? Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Nah, you can keep having a white guy from Milton who "knows what's best for you". They tell me the status quo is working just fine.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Is there a map available of current districting?

Old 10-14-2021, 10:28 AM

548 posts, read 610,662 times
I know that in Lawrence they are proposing merging Lawrence with Methuen which in my opinion makes more sense. Right know Lawrence is with Andover, Dracut & Tewksbury. Those 3 towns especially Andover are total opposites. Although Senator Finegold does his best to represent his constituents in Lawrence, the city would benefit more with having someone who actually lives in the city and knows the struggles etc.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10/...FPQMdyaG5m7KJs

Old 10-14-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Wait...you're not suggesting lumping Brockton in there with Randolph and Stoughton (in effect giving them a minority voice), and another district for the Bridgewaters along with Middleboro and Whitman and Hanson (where maybe an "R" has a chance of getting in)? Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Nah, you can keep having a white guy from Milton who "knows what's best for you". They tell me the status quo is working just fine.
LOL it's a case of Brockton as a larger city simply having too many interest that might not align with Randolph tbh. Everyone is thinking Race first but there are other things to consider.

You make a very good point though. If you don't group Brockton/Randolph/Milton with those areas in Bristol-Plymouth; you can create a R district.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:41 AM

What are the likely R districts in the proposed map?
2, 6, 7, 21, 39 ?

Old 10-14-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal1181 View Post
I know that in Lawrence they are proposing merging Lawrence with Methuen which in my opinion makes more sense. Right know Lawrence is with Andover, Dracut & Tewksbury. Those 3 towns especially Andover are total opposites. Although Senator Finegold does his best to represent his constituents in Lawrence, the city would benefit more with having someone who actually lives in the city and knows the struggles etc.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10/...FPQMdyaG5m7KJs
From what I recall, they are going to split Haverhill though?

It has been noted that this is removing the voice from Haverhill (similar to my concerns for Randolph). Towns that are between 30k-40k population are usually in between a rock and hard place.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:45 AM

House proposed

House current

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts