Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 07:03 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times

Advertisements

Looking like most places in GBA will be over $4 soon, if they aren't already. Could hit $5 if the war continues into summer.

Perfect time for RTO. Would it getting into mid 4's get you to use your car less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 07:59 PM

16,291 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Sadly I don’t think these gas prices are going to stop many people from driving much. Poor people might have to stop driving if they literally have no money for gas but I think everyone else will just keep plugging along. The cost of pretty much everything has gone up the past two years (houses, rent, food, hotels/vacations) and the prices never seem stop anyone. The demand is just there.

I try not to use my car unless I absolutely need to. I work from home but my kids still have places to be that aren’t always close by.

Perhaps more people will consider their next car to be an electric one but i really don’t know on that one either.

Old 03-03-2022, 08:00 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
One of our cars is a Tesla. So if gas increased significantly, we'd probably use that even more (and we already use it most of the time.). The other car isn't usually driven for long distances, so I don't have to fill it up that frequently. I'd prefer to get to all electric cars to both avoid the worry about gas prices and to decrease dependence on foreign oil.

Old 03-03-2022, 10:09 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Here in California we are nearing $6.00 a gallon presently.
I have two vehicles, and I never let either get below 3/4 of a tank.
It usually cost me around $12.00-$15.00 to bring them to the full mark.
One gets pretty good mileage,(corvette)while the other (Dakota R/T pickup) is quite bad.
Needless to say the one with good mileage is used most of the time.

Last edited by CALGUY; 03-03-2022 at 10:25 PM..

Old 03-04-2022, 01:19 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Gas prices are always misunderstood. US has always been amongst the cheapest in the world. I'm in the UK this week, and it's >$7/gal, down from $8/gal back in Oct. Adjusted for inflation, gasoline prices have actually declined over time. I'm convinced the only reason they get people riled up is because they're so prominently displayed.

In any case, I don't care since I went EV 3 months ago, selling off my gas guzzling minivan!

Old 03-04-2022, 03:11 AM
r_p

230 posts, read 221,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Looking like most places in GBA will be over $4 soon, if they aren't already. Could hit $5 if the war continues into summer.

Perfect time for RTO. Would it getting into mid 4's get you to use your car less?
Still too cheap compared to the rest of the world (except maybe OPEC countries). Should be more like $10.

Last edited by r_p; 03-04-2022 at 04:21 AM..

Old 03-04-2022, 04:49 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,121,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Gas prices are always misunderstood. … Adjusted for inflation, gasoline prices have actually declined over time. I'm convinced the only reason they get people riled up is because they're so prominently displayed.
Yep, gas prices were at about this level 10-15 years ago on a nominal basis.

We recently bought a hybrid minivan and a CRV so we’re set for vehicles for a while. It will probably be an EV next, hopefully not for another 10+ years for us.

Last edited by simplexsimon; 03-04-2022 at 05:34 AM..

Old 03-04-2022, 05:45 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Yep, gas prices were at about this level 10-15 years ago on a nominal basis.

We recently bought a hybrid minivan and a CRV so we’re set for vehicles for a while. It will probably be an EV next, hopefully not for another 10+ years for us.
Yeah, lots of people forget the summer of 2008.

Old 03-04-2022, 06:13 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Quote:
I certainly do because I was going overseas that summer for 3 weeks and they came up to me and said we need another $500 immediately otherwise this isn't happening.

I continue to see work-from-home at least in a hybrid form at being viable. I don't see any major employers acting like nothing happened for the past two years. Your higher gas prices are going to have a trickle-down effect in the businesses that were looking to reopen like bars and restaurants.

We'll probably see like back then more concentration than urban areas because it's simply easier to allocate things like public transit. Is the price of gas goes up $0.30 over a month it doesn't really have an impact on Bus and Train prices.

I know that there is some people that took be lines out to rural areas thinking that they would escape the covid 380 is it just isn't worth it to be in a rural area.

I think over the next three to five years we're going to see some businesses significantly relocate throughout the country. If you physically must have people in an office or must have people doing something with Manufacturing or trades based work then you're going to have to be located where the growing population.

I have a strong feeling that electric boat will probably expand significantly to perhaps Fall River in New Bedford. It's not going to happen now but they've got two thousand or so job openings and there are not enough people to fill them. Bristol County has a population density of twice that of where electric boat currently, they already have operations in Newport and by 2024 there's going to be an active rail system going from both cities to Boston.

I did papers about situations like Bosnia and Kosovo about 12 years ago while as an undergrad. I feel like I'm having flashbacks. The UK had a study and they think this conflict could last for ten years our own studies are showing it might be 20 years. We might have reopened another iraq on the global stage. Anyone ever read or watch The Watchmen? The alternative reality actually had the u.s. winning Vietnam but during the 80s kinda feels like the same thing.

I know we talked more about building more things here and that's all well and good but it's going to take a long time to get factories back and running it's very hard for us to build more when we don't have more trains Craftsman. We haven't made enough vocational schools or vocational teachers so until that pipeline is resolved we're dealing with the same Workforce

Old 03-04-2022, 06:31 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
Quote:
I was going to mention that. I was going into the office every day back then so it was a big deal when it was like 7-8 dollars in gas just to go to the office and back.

Quote:
Gas prices are always misunderstood. US has always been amongst the cheapest in the world. I'm in the UK this week, and it's >$7/gal, down from $8/gal back in Oct. Adjusted for inflation, gasoline prices have actually declined over time. I'm convinced the only reason they get people riled up is because they're so prominently displayed.
It is going to make the inflation that much worse just from goods distribution with truckers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts