Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 05:11 AM

24,503 posts, read 17,956,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
UNC-Charlotte, Davidson, and Winthrop are major high profile universities in the metro area. They may not have the national clout of Duke, UNC, and or even NC State, but I'm sure they are a pipeline to competitive jobs in Charlotte.
This is pretty much nonsense. UNC-Charlotte is not a prestigious school. It’s ranked about the same as UMass-Boston and serves the same function. Davidson is a small liberal arts college with ~ 80% out of state enrollment. The vast majority go to graduate school elsewhere in the country afterwards. Winthrop will accept anyone who can fog a mirror if they can pay the tuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 11:02 AM

11,957 posts, read 7,701,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is pretty much nonsense. UNC-Charlotte is not a prestigious school. It’s ranked about the same as UMass-Boston and serves the same function. Davidson is a small liberal arts college with ~ 80% out of state enrollment. The vast majority go to graduate school elsewhere in the country afterwards. Winthrop will accept anyone who can fog a mirror if they can pay the tuition.
who cares its not 1990 anymore lol.

I got my job (a SUNY and Rutgers alum) over a Harvard, Princeton, Yale and NYU graduate. And I stand by state schools are producing better job candidates than ivy's...

My office is filled with SUNY, Montclair, Rutgers and Rowan grads. The most prestigious university is Ohio State. And we pay real good. Especially for younger graduates...

The college gloat around the fancy trust fund babies is ending. We need real world experience, not daddy's money bought me $$$ Tuition at XX fancy private university. Show me some grit. Show me you balanced a full time job, full time university and lived paycheck to paycheck. You are going to be a productive member over some kid who cried when Goldmans Sachs ended their internship and they had to ditch their 6k monthly rent in Williamsburg.

Rant over.

Old 01-20-2023, 12:16 PM

23,063 posts, read 18,197,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
who cares its not 1990 anymore lol.

I got my job (a SUNY and Rutgers alum) over a Harvard, Princeton, Yale and NYU graduate. And I stand by state schools are producing better job candidates than ivy's...

My office is filled with SUNY, Montclair, Rutgers and Rowan grads. The most prestigious university is Ohio State. And we pay real good. Especially for younger graduates...

The college gloat around the fancy trust fund babies is ending. We need real world experience, not daddy's money bought me $$$ Tuition at XX fancy private university. Show me some grit. Show me you balanced a full time job, full time university and lived paycheck to paycheck. You are going to be a productive member over some kid who cried when Goldmans Sachs ended their internship and they had to ditch their 6k monthly rent in Williamsburg.

Rant over.

It's also quite sad to see somebody in their 60s looking to one up others with their alma matter from 40+ years ago. Like, you wonder what they've done with their life since...

Old 01-26-2023, 06:24 PM

118 posts, read 103,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
And if you're collecting a Massachusetts public sector pension, it's not taxed.
You do pay Federal income tax on MA teacher pension
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts