Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 12:29 PM

4,967 posts, read 2,548,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moh1988 View Post
I wish there are opportunities in 50 states! For what I do, which is discovery in Pharma,,, there is literally 3 towns,,, SD, SF, and Boston! Boston is the cheapest,,, and I like Mass way better than Cali.
Besides, it's also competitive,,, I was graduating without any experience,,, submitted 50 applications to more than 10 states,,, I only received offers from 3-4 places, and I picked this one.
Again, a year into it,,, love the place and the whole state,,, there is no place I'd rather be at the moment. It's ok to complaint tho
That's insightful, thanks. And no, there is nothing wrong with complaining. People need to do it more. Vocally, and by voting with their feet when appropriate and practicable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 12:31 PM

88 posts, read 49,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post

Sure, you can save money by avoiding large apartment complexes, but not everyone knows this. That's one of the things coming to a board like this can help people. Not everyone has or is able to make connections with locals to figure out where the *slightly* more reasonable rents can be found.

I'm sorry but the locals here in the Boston area are charging 1st, last, deposit, and agent fees. This is a total of 12k in Arlington, Watertown, and even Quincy last year. This was crazy to me! How could anyone has this sort of me coming into his/her first job?!!
Maybe they don't increase the baseline rent by 300-500$ like big complexes, but the former is crazy too.

Old 05-04-2022, 12:32 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,051,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Just nice to hear that it's affordable enough to be this sort of Ellis Island place still. Nice to know. Malden is a cool little city but I wish Boston Area towns were quicker to adapt representation. The incumbency bias in the state isn't a good thing.
Definitely not affordable right now - any house that’s larger than a shoebox and won’t collapse on you is over $650K.

Old 05-04-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but the locals here in the Boston area are charging 1st, last, deposit, and agent fees. This is a total of 12k in Arlington, Watertown, and even Quincy last year. This was crazy to me! How could anyone has this sort of me coming into his/her first job?!!
Maybe they don't increase the baseline rent by 300-500$ like big complexes, but the former is crazy too.
Some people would require a personal bank loan to come up with the start-up costs of a 1BR or even a studio.

Old 05-04-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Still somewhat affordable even with inflation and everything. 94 apartments available under 2k. Immigrants will definitely pay that due to generational living and cooperative economics in general.

https://www.trulia.com/for_rent/Malden,MA/0-2000_price/

Immigrants arent gonna stop coming to Boston because of high costs, we were one of the most resilient immigrant destinations last decade behind like Miami and Orlando. and were were already extremely expensive
Yes, but what kind of apartments are they and how many people are living in them? Those are some questions. Immigrants with no credit scores, stable income, or rental history are unlikely to be renting many of those zillow units. Immigrants with children are unlikely to be approved for 1 BR units on the market, or from units that are smaller than management deems appropriate for the # of occupants.

Old 05-04-2022, 01:08 PM

21,428 posts, read 12,419,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Yes, but what kind of apartments are they and how many people are living in them? Those are some questions. Immigrants with no credit scores, stable income, or rental history are unlikely to be renting many of those zillow units. Immigrants with children are unlikely to be approved for 1 BR units on the market, or from units that are smaller than management deems appropriate for the # of occupants.
We know few things:

Immigrants live in Malden, nearly half of Malden.

Immigrants will move into older buildings with minimal or no hesitation.

My thoughts:

I can’t think of any municipality in MA where the foreign born population isn’t increasing despite price. Landlords will continue to make it work.

I’d assume many if not most immigrant in Malden have some type of credit score and many have rental history. I also know that most immigrants are young single people, not entire families. Are immigrants are often successful adults in other countries already.

Old 05-04-2022, 01:22 PM

Many are successful adults in other countries but they won't have American credit scores when they first migrate here. The better educated (such as those coming with employment based visas) will have some resources and will probably speak English. Their socioeconomic status enables them to obtain market units even if they don't necessarily have a US credit score. The immigrants moving to places like Malden or Chelsea are usually those who came here through marriage, refugees or diversity. Many are not educated and have kids so they won't be looking for 1BR units off zillow. In many cases they are probably renting off-grid units and packing in more people than the places were designed for and/or they are dumps. Some will move in with relatives. Some will move into public housing as occupants of other lease holders.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 05-04-2022 at 01:35 PM..

Old 05-04-2022, 01:54 PM

795 posts, read 523,055 times
Quote:
I used to live in Arlington. The apartment I had charged first month, deposit and 50% agent fee. So it’s 2.5x rent.
When I left, they even refunded my deposit with interest!

But I know it is rare. Usually you pay 3x

Old 05-04-2022, 02:06 PM

24,510 posts, read 17,983,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
But the post it was addressing reeked of Stockholm syndrome, there is quite a bit of that on this forum.
You know what Stockholm syndrome is, right? A feeling of trust or affection by the hostage towards their captor. It’s not like this thread is oozing with landlord love by renters.

Old 05-04-2022, 02:47 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,051,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You know what Stockholm syndrome is, right? A feeling of trust or affection by the hostage towards their captor. It’s not like this thread is oozing with landlord love by renters.
Boston is oozing with love for unions, vida urbana-type goons, mao-cosplaying politicians and all the other grifters who perpetuate the housing shortage by making new construction next to impossible. Rents would not be this high if we didn’t have 50 people lined up for every available apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts