Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 06:23 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,868,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricka View Post
jeez if you take the parkway that's a 30 min drive from dedham to downtown assuming no traffic.

consider the same drive from a central location in the neighboring towns inside 128, also assuming no traffic:

milton: 15 minutes, get on 93

newton: 20 min, drive to 90

with dedham the only highway where you can actually go anywhere fast is 128 and you have to ride it until you get to 93 or 90 if you're going downtown

miss me with the parkway
Of all the towns that border Boston, Dedham is the furthest from downtown. That's absolutely true. It doesn't make it a desert from either public transit or major highways. It's the access point to major highways for a few neighborhoods in the actual city of Boston. Somewhere like Dover, which has no exits to any major freeways and no public transit is a much better example of such a desert. I suspect that Dover prefers the way it is.

Dedham is absolutely not competing against places with much better access to downtown like Newton and Brookline. Even large portions of Needham are more convenient. I don't think anyone is claiming that it does. Just like West Roxbury is the most suburban of the Boston neighborhoods, Dedham is probably the most suburban of all the inner-ring suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
ya lynn is pretty hard to get to as well, but it's also way up north on the coast east of route 1.

dedham is such a puzzle because, based on it's location, it should be easy to get to
There is no puzzle. The Southwest Expressway was abandoned. Probably for the best.

If you want to get into downtown Boston from Dedham, you should be taking the commuter rail. Traffic is already terrible enough. Don't make it worse. If you want to drive, it's not clear where you are going to find a cheaper alternative that's better.

Old 07-25-2022, 06:40 PM

181 posts, read 117,729 times
great! glad we could establish my earlier point that dedham is the least accessible town inside of 128 that is not boston!

not sure why some other folks were confused by that

Old 07-25-2022, 06:50 PM

Quote:
great! glad we could establish my earlier point that dedham is the least accessible town inside of 128 that is not boston!

That is not what you’ve established. It’s the furthest from downtown Boston of the cities and towns that border Boston. Even you admitted the North Shore is far less “accessible” than Dedham. My vote for least accessible inside 128 goes to Nahant. Good luck getting there.

Old 07-25-2022, 06:52 PM

23,067 posts, read 18,206,847 times
Quote:

Nobody is confused. Your claim is simply false.

Current google times to DT Boston:

Lexington 25 minutes
Dedham 26 minutes
Lynn 26 minutes

Peabody 28 minutes

Nahant 30 minutes
Salem 33 minutes

Marblehead 38 minutes

Other people can cherry pick too. See how that works?

Old 07-25-2022, 07:08 PM

181 posts, read 117,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Nobody is confused. Your claim is simply false.

Current google times to DT Boston:

Lexington 25 minutes
Dedham 26 minutes
Lynn 26 minutes

Peabody 28 minutes

Nahant 30 minutes
Salem 33 minutes

Marblehead 38 minutes

Other people can cherry pick too. See how that works?
Lmao A+ for effort.

Deep down you know I’m right

Old 07-26-2022, 08:16 AM

11,970 posts, read 7,714,784 times
I love Dedham, reminds me of Bridgewater NJ.

MA suburbs in general are more run down than NJ suburbs, by farrr, but Dedham is pretty close to Bridgewater. Real nice place for convenience.

I stayed in Dedham a few months ago and the roads are in rough shape though. But thats everywhere in Eastern Massachusetts now.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:20 PM

3,317 posts, read 1,596,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I love Dedham, reminds me of Bridgewater NJ.

MA suburbs in general are more run down than NJ suburbs, by farrr, but Dedham is pretty close to Bridgewater. Real nice place for convenience.

I stayed in Dedham a few months ago and the roads are in rough shape though. But thats everywhere in Eastern Massachusetts now.

I don't know Bridgewater, NJ but when I went to Wyckoff and surrounding towns to visit a work colleague everyone seemed to have impeccable landscaping. I don't recall seeing any yard/lawn that looked bad. Interesting when you're used to seeing suburban MA neighborhoods with a mixed bag. Then I was told about Bergen County as being the wealthiest in NJ so it made sense after that. All those homes probably had professional landscapers maintaining them.

Old 07-27-2022, 07:51 AM

11,970 posts, read 7,714,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I don't know Bridgewater, NJ but when I went to Wyckoff and surrounding towns to visit a work colleague everyone seemed to have impeccable landscaping. I don't recall seeing any yard/lawn that looked bad. Interesting when you're used to seeing suburban MA neighborhoods with a mixed bag. Then I was told about Bergen County as being the wealthiest in NJ so it made sense after that. All those homes probably had professional landscapers maintaining them.
Bergen is the 4th richest county in NJ now. But, Somerset, Morris, Hunterdon, Monmouth, Ocean, Northern parts of Bergen, etc. are all the nicest counties imho.

I do find NJ suburban lawns to not be taken care of as much, actually.. esspecially in Middlesex County NJ. However, what separates and pulls NJ ahead of MA are that I find the town services light years better including road conditions, parks, and walkability of towns. In addition the train access is real nice, giving the towns an extra flare. Boston suburban towns have a nice looking downtown with limited amenities that may or may not be served by the MBTA and then a huge dropoff in quality.

These are the few suburbs I mean, like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5685...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7581...7i16384!8i8192

and the roads are usually in A or B condition outside the dingy cities
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7969...7i16384!8i8192

Overall I would give NJs an A- and Boston's a C+. Coming from someone born and raised in Randolph MA.

Glad you enjoyed your visit to Wyckoff.. thats a nice place! Im not the biggest fan of Bergen Co, but that is a town I'd live in for sure.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:41 AM

6,432 posts, read 7,721,085 times
I personally am not a fan of Dedham. It got a lot more crowded over the past few years, with no sign of stopping. Too congested a place for me to be ok living in - if you were looking for an investment/rental property - yes but my own home would be a no. So it depends if that is ok with you. I don't care about going to Legacy Place or that kind of thing. And frankly, although I am not far from it, I avoid it. I would take Norwood over Dedham but with a household income in the 3's you have options. But I get it, real estate is ridiculously priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts