Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2022, 04:50 PM

943 posts, read 409,843 times

Advertisements

Is there a convenient place to stop/park near Quincy Market now that the Government Center Garage is gone, in particular one that is easily reached from I-93 (we need to drive in from Providence and back)? Technically one person could stay in the car if that makes things easier (so not a real parking but where one can stand for a little while).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2022, 05:58 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,123,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Is there a convenient place to stop/park near Quincy Market now that the Government Center Garage is gone, in particular one that is easily reached from I-93 (we need to drive in from Providence and back)? Technically one person could stay in the car if that makes things easier (so not a real parking but where one can stand for a little while).
Most of the office building parking lots should have availability during the day, especially if you're going on the weekend. 75 State Street comes to mind and is right across the street from Faneuil Hall.

Old 09-04-2022, 06:37 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,402,954 times
Dock Square parking garage

Old 09-04-2022, 06:55 PM

5,100 posts, read 2,661,482 times
Haymarket station has a garage over it. And as far as I know the Gov Center garage is still partially open.

Old 09-05-2022, 03:09 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Dock Square parking garage
Hope they’re driving a Brinks armored car with enough money to pay the parking fee.

Old 09-05-2022, 07:44 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Hope they’re driving a Brinks armored car with enough money to pay the parking fee.

Dock Square Parking Garage
Subterranean Lot • 170 Spaces 20 Clinton St Boston, MA 02109

Rates
20 Min $9
40 Min $18
1 Hour $28
1.5 Hours $34
24 Hours $40
Early Bird In Between 5am-9am / Out By 7pm $25

Certainly not cheap but some perspective is necessary, GeoffD. The OP is going to Quincy Market in Boston, not Big Value Outlets in South Dartmouth.

Personally, I'd drop the person off and then drive in circles until they come back out.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:15 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
What day and time? Stopping on Clinton St. (right near the Dock Sq. Garage entrance) is generally easier than many places downtown, especially outside of the M-F 8am-noon window, and there’s often room for standing without blocking or disrupting traffic. It is a loading area so you’ll have to move for a commercial vehicle. It’s right off of the Government Center exit off of 93 North. Just mind the signs and be aware of your surroundings. Alternatively, you could just do a couple of laps around Dock Square Garage (Clinton St. > right on North St. > Right on Surface Rd. > Right on Clinton, repeat).

Old 09-06-2022, 09:33 PM

943 posts, read 409,843 times
Thanks so much for the suggestions. Lrfox, that detailed information is amazing!! It's good to know about the 8am-noon window - it's for an appointment, so there may be some flexibility.

Old 09-07-2022, 05:27 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,402,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It’s expensive, but also the most convenient location to where the OP is going, and pretty standard fees for downtown. I used to park there to visit a cleint pre-Covid. They validated for discounted short term parking, and I’m assuming some business with offices in Faneuil Hall Marketplace might still do this. Another option is to purchase discounted parking via ParkWhiz, which was about $15 for the better part of a day the last time I did it. I’m sure inflation has changed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
What day and time? Stopping on Clinton St. (right near the Dock Sq. Garage entrance) is generally easier than many places downtown, especially outside of the M-F 8am-noon window, and there’s often room for standing without blocking or disrupting traffic.
My client had offices on the back side of Faneuil Hall Marketplace, and we very often heard was trucks blowing horns at double parked cars in that spot. Circling and parking in loading zones creates a lot of the of traffic downtown. Prepare to be hollered at, particularly with out of state plates. If parking is too expensive just take public transportation. This location is reasonably accessible from the blue line, green line, red line or South Station.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:54 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
My client had offices on the back side of Faneuil Hall Marketplace, and we very often heard was trucks blowing horns at double parked cars in that spot. Circling and parking in loading zones creates a lot of the of traffic downtown. Prepare to be hollered at, particularly with out of state plates. If parking is too expensive just take public transportation. This location is reasonably accessible from the blue line, green line, red line or South Station.
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend double parking anywhere. I singled out that that 8am-Noon window as it's the busiest time for trucks loading/unloading. But outside of that window, I don't think there's much harm in stopping there (against the curb, not double parked) for a few minutes while the passenger runs into the marketplace to grab something real quick so long as the driver remains with the car and is willing to move and circle the short block if necessary. The Dock Square Garage entrance is right there on Clinton and it is $9 for up to 20 minutes - it might be the most hassle free bet for a quick pickup in Quincy Market.

*edit* I meant to add - the Haymarket Garage validates parking for up to 3 hours with proof of purchase at the Public Market. So if you buy a coffee or doughnut at the Public Market, they'll validate you. The validated parking costs $3 (plus the cost of the item you buy) which is still going to be cheaper than anything else in the area. Short walk to Quincy Market and easy 93 access.

Last edited by lrfox; 09-07-2022 at 08:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts