Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 08:16 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to Framingham recently?

The 2021 Census estimates put it as a slightly majority-minority for the first time.

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...framingham-ma/

https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table...SDP1Y2021.DP05

Roughly breaks down as follows

49% White
19% Latino
10% Asian
10% Mixed Race
7% Black
5% 'Other'

in 2018 it was

60% White
20% Latino
8% Asian
6% Black
5% Other
1% Mixed Race

So the change is dramatic only because two or more races was probably underestimated in 2018.

For one frame of reference in the 2021-2022 School year Framingham Public Schools were

42.8% white
41.3% Latino
6.6% Black
4.9% mixed Race
4.4% Asian

in the 2018-2019 School year Framingham Public Schools were:

55.7% White
27.4% Latino
7.6% Black
4.9% Asian
4.3% Mixed Race

So while both show an increase in diversity they show it in very different ways.

I havent spent meaningful time in Framingham in probably 15 years, Felt like a mostly white suburban city with some diversity but not one I would guess would be majority-minority any time soon. These estimates fluctuate pretty widely from year to year.

I'll admit this mix doesn't seem improbable for Framingham and given illegal immigration it probably is majority-minority. But I don't know- haven't been there in a while,
  • Has anyone else noticed a change in Framingham in terms of diversity?
  • How has it been received by the town if so?
  • Does anyone say Framingham is less diverse than this or has it been this way for years and underreported?

Generally, I believe this is a diversity is a good thing but I really have no vested interest in Framingham just wondering if others did.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 10-17-2022 at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2022, 12:36 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times
Are Brazilians considered Latino?

Old 10-17-2022, 01:03 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Depends on who asks.

The Office of Management and Budget, so the feds, define Latino as a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of "race".

So anyone from South America is Hispanic per the feds. Dutch from Surinam, English from Guyana, French residents from French Guiana. Welsh or German immigrants in Argentina. All Hispanic in the eyes of the federal government.

I don't know if the state has a different definition.

Old 10-17-2022, 01:16 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Depends on who asks.

The Office of Management and Budget, so the feds, define Latino as a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of "race".

So anyone from South America is Hispanic per the feds. Dutch from Surinam, English from Guyana, French residents from French Guiana. Welsh or German immigrants in Argentina. All Hispanic in the eyes of the federal government.

I don't know if the state has a different definition.
The Federal Government does not consider Brazilians to be Hispanic as an important definer of Hispanic is Spanish culture or language.

Old 10-17-2022, 01:30 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
depends on them, they self-identify. Some times the census may reclassify folks, especially this past ear. Also they have to fill in a lot of gaps esp. on an estimate like this.

I would suspect they're a good portion of the "two or more races" and "some other race" groups though.

Would you consider them latino?

It seems the schools are showing a recent a definite influx of Latino youth though.

Old 10-18-2022, 06:14 AM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Many Brazilians are of European decent. Im not sure why they would identify as Latino in that case. I always thought Latino was basically the same thing as Hispanic.

Giselle Bunchden for example is not a Latina but she is Brazilian

Old 10-18-2022, 06:38 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Many Brazilians are of European decent. Im not sure why they would identify as Latino in that case. I always thought Latino was basically the same thing as Hispanic.

Giselle Bunchden for example is not a Latina but she is Brazilian
They don't identify as Latino. They often are identified as such in the US because it's easier.

In Brazil, the government breakdown is:

Brancos (White)
Pardos (Mixed)
Pretos (Blacks)
Caboclos (Indigenous)
Amarelos (Asian)

If left up to Brazilians, they could identify themselves as one of almost 200 descriptors. Just looking at my cousins, there is a range from White blonde to Iberian to darker skinned people.

Old 10-18-2022, 08:14 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
I grew up in Framingham and even when I graduated from High School decades ago it was pretty diverse. It strikes me as even more diverse now especially given the statistics you've provided.

Interesting that when you compare the breakdown of the town's overall population to the makeup of the population in the school system that the percentage of caucasians drops off so much. I'm wondering if caucasians in Framingham have fewer kids or if maybe a lot of the caucasians in Framingham are older and empty nesters. It would be interesting to know the reason behind that.

Old 10-18-2022, 08:16 AM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I grew up in Framingham and even when I graduated from High School decades ago it was pretty diverse. It strikes me as even more diverse now especially given the statistics you've provided.

Interesting that when you compare the breakdown of the town's overall population to the makeup of the population in the school system that the percentage of caucasians drops off so much. I'm wondering if caucasians in Framingham have fewer kids or if maybe a lot of the caucasians in Framingham are older and empty nesters. It would be interesting to know the reason behind that.
The caucasians probably send their kids to private school too.

Old 10-18-2022, 09:14 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
I believe in the U.S. they are considered Latino since "Latino" simply means being from Latin America. Hispanic means being from a Spanish Speaking population. There's obviously a lot of overlap, but there are many cases where someone can be Hispanic and not Latino (i.e. being from Spain), or vice versa (i.e. being from Brazil). Most Brazilians are Latino since Brazil is in Latin America, but most are not Hispanic since it's a predominantly Portuguese speaking country.

Of course there are exceptions even within Brazil. And since the U.S. Census is self-identifying, "official" definitions don't matter all that much as people will report themselves as whatever they feel fits their identity best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts