Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 12:04 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelvic View Post
I am considering renting at the sky mark tower downtown Worcester. Anybody know anything about the location and safety?
Skymark, IIRC, is on Main St. just north of Chandler.

It's on the southern edge of downtown, and near the northern edge (Chandler being the dividing line) of Main South - which is one of the roughest neighborhoods in the city. But even there, as seen recently in an article in Worcester Mag, things have been improving a bit in Main South since the 90s.

People want to make out Worcester to be some insane crimehole and wouldn't come in unless they had to. Lots of scared people in the suburbs and the woods, don't know any better. But I've never had any problems in Worcester. As long as you're smart and keep your nose out of trouble, you should be alright. Just like most other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 07:25 PM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Ditto the previous comments about it not being so bad. Most people in MA live in the burbs and many of them have a very irrational fear of any urban area outside of Boston's pristine core. It's a simple matter of fearing the unknown.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:25 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post

People want to make out Worcester to be some insane crimehole and wouldn't come in unless they had to. Lots of scared people in the suburbs and the woods, don't know any better. But I've never had any problems in Worcester. As long as you're smart and keep your nose out of trouble, you should be alright. Just like most other cities.
Sounds just like the town I live in outside Chicago. There's a lot of born and bred suburbanites that get nervous if they see too many people who speak another language or look different from them.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:59 PM

88 posts, read 233,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post

One of the more dead on sumations of the attitude about the inner city part of Worcester. Sad part is that many of the people with this attitude actually live in Worcester.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:06 AM

91 posts, read 330,330 times
Agreed. I'm not a huge Worcester fan, but safety is not one of those discriminatory reasons. I've never felt unsafe in any part of the city. Go to Gilrein's or Moynahans in Main South and tell me you feared for your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts