Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 10:19 PM

257 posts, read 946,074 times

Advertisements

I want to buy a couple loft style bunk beds, and some other items like a dinette and bedroom set. I like Ikea's style, but the quality can sometimes be lacking. Anyone have ideas on some furniture stores I can check out for a more upgraded danish style?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 06:40 AM

605 posts, read 2,380,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masalamomma View Post
I want to buy a couple loft style bunk beds, and some other items like a dinette and bedroom set. I like Ikea's style, but the quality can sometimes be lacking. Anyone have ideas on some furniture stores I can check out for a more upgraded danish style?
Yes, unfortunately Ikea's quality control is shocking. If you buy something that's complete and undamaged then it's great - if you have anything missing or messed up then they can turn into a nightmare.

I'll watch this thread with interest as I'd like to find somewhere else to shop too.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:51 PM

270 posts, read 1,361,121 times
Default I have to defend my European "friends"

Sorry OP, I don't really have a suggestion for other stores besides maybe Target.
I do have to put my 5 cents in though. I do agree that the quality of some IKEA products is not always perfect and sometimes pieces are missing. But you have that problem with lots of other furniture products, also the very expensive ones. I think for the price you pay IKEA quality is okay. Also we have "tested" all our furniture in the many moves we did. And I have to say that the IKEA items held up just as much or even better than our expensive Thomasville pieces. In fact the best furniture we have are the 5 IKEA bookshelves we bought when my husband was stationed in Germany. They were shipped back to the States and we have moved with them at least 7 times and they are just fine. Go Billy ;-)

Old 06-21-2008, 05:46 PM

61 posts, read 200,313 times
There is a place called "Bunk Beds and Beyond" in Auburn, right near Rt 290, that has a great selection of loft beds and such, some are definitely more contemporary & clean-lined. It is somewhat kid-oriented (obviously), but there are items appropriate for adults, too.

I don't think they sell much in the way of dining sets, but like someone else mentioned, you can try Target for that.

HTH

Old 06-22-2008, 12:24 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,157 times
My suggestion is Jordan's Furniture, Boston interior. They have Vermont Tubb or Vermont Precision. Solid hard wood. Very well made bunk beds.

I recall Costco had some bunk beds a few months ago. You may have to wait for another 6-9 months before they'll bring them back... but again you cannot beat the price.

International home furniture (Warehouse Outlet) in Framingham carries similar stuff as Ikea.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:50 PM

257 posts, read 946,074 times
Don't get me wrong, I shop alot at Ikea. I am sitting at my IKEA desk typing this post right now. But I found their bunk beds to be a bit wobbly, so would rather pay a little bit more if I can find something more stable and sturdy.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:30 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,578 times
I've found IKEA stuff to be solid if you pay enough. Like my bed frame was a couple hundred bucks, it's made of real wood and nothing on it has warped and is definitely not wobbly.

With my kitchen table I paid like 20 bucks and it's getting into wobbly village after a year.

You could always try West Elm, they're basically a high end IKEA (modern furniture).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts