Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 06:16 AM

10 posts, read 45,677 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I would appreciate any feedback on the Diamon district in Lynn.... is it a safe area? Is it a good area to live in?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 07:20 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
If poor schools and a substantially undeserved reputation for being a "bad" place don't deter you from living in Lynn, nothing should. The Diamond District may be grandiosely named, but it's never seen hard times and is now getting to be quietly "discovered." Nothing says "gentrified city neighborhood" quite like a B & B - one has now opened there. The tax rate may be on the horrendous side, but whether you go with a condo in a rehabbed brick former apartment building or with a big Queen Anne Victorian house you'll pay way less than in - say - Melrose. The even more grandiosely named Paradise Rd in nearby Swampscott is where you'll find some of the usual store chains for necessity shopping. A beach is a short stroll away. The streets are quiet and safe. So, much like Dorchester and East Boston, if you can withstand potential visitors' refusal to "go to that bad area" and if you don't have school-aged offspring, go for it.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:12 AM

10 posts, read 45,677 times
Thanks for your quick reply

Right now, I'm not looking to buy, but I am looking for a relatively cheap area to rent a 2-3 br. I currently live in Maine and I have been looking in the North Shore area.

I have not visited yet, but Beverly and Salem are at the top of my list of places to move. However, when checking out craigslist, the price of rentals in the Diamond district seemed so reasonable.

I will def keep what you have said in mind about the Diamond district.

Thanks!!!

Old 07-07-2008, 09:45 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,189 times
It stinks there -- literally: Beachgoers are making a stink over odor caused by brown algae - The Boston Globe

Old 07-19-2008, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 13,251 times
How well do you know Lynn? Is Howard St (near Goldfish Pond) a nice area? Looking to move North from Boston. Your help is much appreciated!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:56 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
I'm going to give this thread a "bump" because that particular pond in Lynn is new to me, LOL...

Old 07-22-2008, 05:43 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,189 times
This is a map of the Goldfish Pond on the right of the screen:
howard st lynn ma - Google Maps
You can see the fountains in the pond and the island in the middle. This area is not so great. The neighborhoods near Essex Street and Chatham Street should be avoided.

The best part of Lynn is off of Lynnfield Street. Nice neighborhoods with decent size homes and yards. It's near Rt 128.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:55 PM

10 posts, read 44,971 times
Lynn is pretty aweosme, the Diamond District is great. It's so lame how people are so judgemental.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:46 AM

50 posts, read 252,699 times
I'd avoid living in Lynn. I've lived there. Some of my family still does. I've seen beatings and shootings; my sister used to find hookers turning tricks in her back yard and leaving used condoms. Granted this was 15 years ago, but Lynn hasnt improved that much, and it always ratchets back down during economic downturns. And the economy doesn't look so bright right now, does it?

There are areas that are OK, but most of Lynn is a place I wouldnt want to live in if I could avoid it.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:27 PM

15 posts, read 39,842 times
I lived a couple of blocks away from the Diamond distict, in Swampscott. As far as Lynn goes, the D.D and West Lynn are the places to live. The downfall with the D.D is that the neighborhood middle school is Thurgood Marshall which is not very nice. I taught there in '06-'07 and we dealt with a lot of gang issues, and really messed up family situations. Swampscott is more middle/upper middle class with safe streets, and it is right next to the Diamond District. If you don't have young children, the D.D should be fine. There is a nice sidewalk path along the beach that is always filled with runners and dog walkers. Overall, it's a very social, fun area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts