Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 06:20 PM

14 posts, read 87,976 times

Advertisements

Hi-We are looking to move to a town with really good school systems, a cute center of town and a friendly community. COuld anyone tell me what they know about holliston or medfield?? I know medfield is slightly more expensive, but is it worth it? Also, any info about wrentham or any other towns in that area would be so helpful. Thanks so much in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 04:35 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeegirl View Post
Hi-We are looking to move to a town with really good school systems, a cute center of town and a friendly community. COuld anyone tell me what they know about holliston or medfield?? I know medfield is slightly more expensive, but is it worth it? Also, any info about wrentham or any other towns in that area would be so helpful. Thanks so much in advance!!
I'm not really familiar with Holliston these days but I can give you some information on Medfield and Wrentham. Where will you be working/commuting to?

Old 01-17-2007, 07:16 AM

Default To caseyb....

Thanks for replying...I actually am on maternity leave for a couple of years, but my husband works in Acton. He is fine with up to a 45 minute commute.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:34 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
Quote:
Hi-We are looking to move to a town with really good school systems, a cute center of town and a friendly community. COuld anyone tell me what they know about holliston or medfield??
Holliston and Medfield both have good school system. Acton has a very good school system if you do not mind being in a larger town. The real question is how do you define good, cute and friendly.

Quote:
I know medfield is slightly more expensive, but is it worth it?
No one can answer that question for you. It depends on your needs. For example, Do you need special education?

Old 01-17-2007, 08:01 AM

I dont have children in school yet, but I'm in the education field, so I do want access to excellent special education services in the event that I need them in the future. Acton would be one of my first choices, but I want be further south to be near my family.The holliston/medfield/norfolk/wrentham area is the ideal area.I also am curious about Sharon, as I know they have good school systems, as well. I basically want a town with good school systems, but I also want to know about the "snobbiness factor", as I know sometimes they correlate. ) Thanks...

Old 01-17-2007, 09:03 AM

Sounds like your definition of a good school system is based on MCAS scores. You know the MA department of education website?

As to the snob factor, if you can afford to live in certain neighborhood, they will welcome you. I'm sure you will find living in Lawrence is not acceptable to you or me (snobby me). As mentioned previously, find the right neighborhood in town. If your castle is a mile from your neighbor, don't expect friendly neighbors. Find a street with young families.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:42 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
I dont have children in school yet, but I'm in the education field, so I do want access to excellent special education services in the event that I need them in the future. Acton would be one of my first choices, but I want be further south to be near my family.The holliston/medfield/norfolk/wrentham area is the ideal area.I also am curious about Sharon, as I know they have good school systems, as well. I basically want a town with good school systems, but I also want to know about the "snobbiness factor", as I know sometimes they correlate. ) Thanks...
I think Sharon might be a little far for the commute. The rest of the towns you mentioned all have decent schools with perhaps Medfield being the best.
Other towns to consider would be Medway and Franklin. Will your husband be commuting up 495?

Old 01-17-2007, 10:54 AM

yes-he would probably go 495.A real estate agent recently mentioned Holliston to us again. Any thoghts specifically on that town?

Old 01-17-2007, 11:57 AM

Don't know much about the town. My impression is Holliston is a nice little town with good schools.

If you are in MA, I suggest you take a drive out there to see if you like it. Checkout Hopkinton too while you're out there. It gives you something to compare to.

Checkout townonline.com (a local newspaper) and search Holliston. You can find out what is going on in town.

About the commute to Acton. Mass Pike is the bottleneck. At rush hours, it can easily take an extra 15-20 minutes just to get through the pike exit on Rt495. It can back up fairly bad. Again, have your hubby try it.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:14 PM

9 posts, read 62,121 times
Smile Holliston Info

My brother and his family moved to Holliston about 8 years ago when their kids were 10, 7 and 5. The town was very welcoming! They are very involved with the schools, sports, music program (Jo D Messina graduated from Holliston HS and was recently there for a fund raiser for the music department)

I visit Holliston several times a year, and it is has a great town to walk. Just about all shops are mom and pop shops, other than CVS, and a restaurant (can't remember the name).

People are very friendly, my brothers family has a New YEar's eve party every year for the past 5 years, they had about 90 people this year and all families from town, parents and kids of all ages are there, and from what I hear it is a blast!

St. Mary's church is nice and has a small town feeling, everybody knows everbody.

Moving there from Philadelphia, I know they will never leave the area! They are so content!

Good Luck with your decission!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts