Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 08:26 PM

17 posts, read 33,800 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are relocating to MA with our two very young children. We think we've settled on Arlington as our new town. I was hoping for more insight into the different parts of Arlington as some areas seem very different from others. I noticed a big price gap between houses in the Brackett and Dallin school districts and those in say, Pierce. Is the Pierce area significantly less attractive in some way or is it just a case of the cool kids liking one area more? Also, given that miles do not equate to time when traveling there, about how long would a commute from Arlington to West Concord take?

Thank you!
~C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 06:43 AM

18,656 posts, read 33,254,654 times
Dunno about the schools or districts, but if you live anywhere where you can get onto Rt. 2 easily (and I think that's all of Arlington- check a map) it's about 15 minutes to West Concord, and at normal business hours, you'd be going against traffic, going west, when the morning mob is going east to Boston or Cambridge. It's a great location to commute to W. Concord, and a fine town in general.Best wishes with your move!

Old 07-14-2008, 10:31 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,277,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
if you live anywhere where you can get onto Rt. 2 easily (and I think that's all of Arlington- check a map) it's about 15 minutes to West Concord, and at normal business hours, you'd be going against traffic, going west, when the morning mob is going east to Boston or Cambridge. It's a great location to commute to W. Concord, and a fine town in general.Best wishes with your move!
I agree with this. The only slower part would be out by Concord where Rt 2 ceases to be highway and there are some lights. But it's nothing compared to a drive the other way.

In my experience the Brackett and Dallin areas are the nicest parts of the town (disclosure: I went to Brackett). The Pierce area is not awful but I don't think it's as attractive.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:55 PM

17 posts, read 33,800 times
Thank you, this helps a lot! I didn't think the commute would be terrible, it's just hard to tell for sure.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:02 PM

287 posts, read 1,024,930 times
Dallin and Brackett are probably the nicest parts of town, but I don't think there's such a huge difference between those districts and the Pierce district. Fewer very large homes, and the houses are smaller and have smaller yards. I do think it's a little more out of the way, or at least harder to access by public transit and walking.

The biggest difference in housing in Arlington is between the Bishop, Pierce, Brackett, Stratton and Dallin districts on one side and the Thompson and Hardy districts on the other.

ETA: I went to Thompson and Dallin, but lived in the Thompson district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts