U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 6,733 times
Default lowell

ya, lowell's a great place if you want your kids hooked on heroin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 10:33 AM

407 posts, read 1,551,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikman View Post
ya, lowell's a great place if you want your kids hooked on heroin.
lmao...or if you want your daughter/wife/aunt etc...to become a prostitute! Lowell, and all the other small cities are Mass are dirty, crime infested, and probably won't ever seen any major improvements.

Stay away from:

Lowell
Worcester
Springfield
New Bedford
Brockton

etc

Don't get me wrong, these cities do have there nice sections, but in each of them 95% of the city isn't a safe, or enriching place to live or raise a family. People who are forced to live in these cities WANT TO MOVE OUT, But usually can't because it's the most affordable place to live.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:51 PM

6 posts, read 33,542 times
Lowell has changed a lot. For being north of Boston, there's a lot of things to do in Lowell. The downtown is really cool and has a good feel to it. Looks of good restaurants there that are doing well. The place is alive and getting better all the time. There are still empty store-fronts but there's a lot of activity going on. Plans such as the jam plan and hamilton canal district plan that will keep adding some fancy condo's. A few more restaurants are opening up in a few months.

Here are some restaurants we typically go to - Ricardo's (great Italian), La Boniche (french), Mambo Grill, Live Alife (vegetarian but incredibly good), and Aiello's cafe. There are many more restaurants too - Greek, Irish, Chinese, Pizza, coffee shops, etc. If you're into music there are concerts in the park and at the Tsongas arena. Sports - baseball Spinners and Hockey. And plays - the Lowell Memorial Auditorum. UMass Lowell is around the corner and so is Middlesex Community College.

I have lived in Lowell and in Boston for the past 5 years and have seen a lot positive changes happening. There already is plenty to do and we have fun in Lowell all the time and go out to eat there a few times a week.

Like any city there is not so good aspects of it. But it really is a city that has been getting better everyday and you can enjoy it.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,383 times
Default crime in Lowell

According to statistics recently released by the FBI, Lowell's 1994-1999 crime reductions exceeded those of all other American cities with populations over 100,000, including Boston and New York. In 1993, criminals carried out more than 9,000 serious offenses in Lowell. In 1999, an improved statistics system recorded only about 3,200. Big-time drug sales have nearly vanished, along with graffiti, vandalism and public disorder. Today, Lowell provides streets as safe as those in a similarly sized city.... I swear, Google it, It was a copy and paste.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:52 PM

155 posts, read 396,121 times
My thought's on Lowell? Wear a bullet proof vest and never look anyone in the eye if you are out for a walk. If your car happens to run out of gas? Just leave it and run for your life. LOL!

It's a great town though for a late night crack run.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:00 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,915,229 times
thanks for the insight; i am stating work in Concord and thought that lowell may have a good vibe.
anyone know anything about other loft apartments beside Mass Mills

Concord is day-night from Lowell. No comparison at all. It certainly would be different to live in one and work in the other. As for vibes, they couldn't be more different. I like them both.
Regarding Lowell lofts, I think there is a web site just for Lowell lofts. Check it on Google.
I worked in a rehabbed mill building, doing technical writing. The building was stunning. There is a gorgeous five-mile walk/path around the Merrimack River, including a white-water water fall (near the university, I think).
Like any place with subsidized housing and public transport, there's a fair number of drug addicts/services. But there's a lot more to Lowell than the down-and-out, unlike other older cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts