Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:04 PM

81 posts, read 346,905 times

Advertisements

Laurel Ridge apartments in Southbridge is 16 years old. I lived there when it was brand new. The apartments are spacious and the building is well-managed. I would recommend it if you are interested in renting rather than buyinb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 6,284 times
Default Don't move to meadows!!!

I lived at sturbridge meadows 5 years ago, the buildings are about 35 years old and the windows are so drafty the breeze will put out a candle. There was also a problem with the septic, which caused my basement to flood with sewage, the staff was helpfull, but when your bedroom is in the basement a few days rent deduction does not make up for sewage. I don't know anyone who lives in the Rosemeade complex in southbridge, but they seem very nice(southbridge has town sewage, no tank back ups!!!)

Old 04-24-2007, 02:51 PM

20 posts, read 80,322 times
I live in Southbridge, and I can definately say, STAY AWAY. My wife and I are planning on moving soon. I was born and grew up in Southbridge, and let me tell you, the town is a toilet. Of course people always say that there are nice areas, but nice areas surrounded by ghettos. All it takes is one three-decker in any area and the whole thing goes to pot. I've witnessed it time and again. I would definately choose Sturbridge over Southbridge. It may be more expensive, but theres alot less chance of getting robbed, or of your kids getting shanked in school.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:48 PM

20 posts, read 80,322 times
Oh,and by the way, you may want to think about something. Right down the road from Sturbridge is Brimfield, and they have a huge flea market 3 times a year. When they have the fleas in town,traffic is a nightmare. My mom used to live right on main street in sturbridge and even walking across the street to go to the store was a horrow show. I remember it taking me 20 minutes to walk across the street and buy a pack of cigarettes. Most of the time was spent waiting in line at the store behind out of towners asking for directions.
It's a small issue,but you may want to think about it.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,960 times
Default hello

Hello Karamay,
I am a senior of Southbridge High graduating this year and attending Holy Cross in the fall. If you would like you children to grow up with respect, tolerance and a real understanding of the world Southbridge is the place for you. As you can see many of the people posting messages are snobs from Sturbridge and Dudley or what not. Southbridge is full of diversity and everyone gets along in school. There has been dramatic changes in the school sytem and we have been extremely sucessful in standardized testing. Yes there are some " depressing parts of town" but they are many many historical, beautiful parts like Dennison Lane area and Lebanon Hill.

sincerely,
jriverashs

Old 02-11-2008, 08:57 PM

45 posts, read 180,225 times
Southbridge is a dump-avoid.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 6,510 times
Karamay if you want to move to a safe place move to North Worcester Ma like we did. The schools are great the people are loving and kind. Not bulling others for what they have or work hard on. No one steal from eachother like Southbrige losers would do. The houses are nice and for the right price. Very country looking in the part I am in. My kids LOVE IT and so do WE. A+++++++++++++++++ at my end
Southbidge LOL not going to wast my time or words anymore on that suckie town.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:29 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,290,205 times
^^^ This topic is well over three years old now.

But in defense of the place: Southbridge isn't a total hole. It's definitely not perfect, and there are some depressing areas in town. Poverty is pretty high, so is unemployment. It's an old mill town with better days well in the past. The 20% Puerto Rican population certainly doesn't help its case, when the snobs in neighboring towns look down at the place.

The schools are not be as good as Sturbridge or Dudley, but really... it is what you make of it. I been spending a lot of time in Southbridge the last 18 months, met some really good people up there. There's plenty of college grads which come from Southbridge High, and it's far safer in Southbridge vs. true crime ridden ghettos like Springfield or parts of Boston.

Are there spots in Southbridge I would want to live in? Yes. Are there spots in Southbridge I would avoid living in? Yes. But you say the north side of Worcester is much better than Southbridge. Have you been to Main South lately? Ain't much different there than the worst parts of Southbridge.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,112 times
Hello Jriverashs,

Clearly Southbridge is a piece of trash town. Most of the people there wear fake imitations, are using drugs, or spend their days and nights at the bar. I thought about moving to Southbridge but the schools suck, there is nothing to do, and the only good restaurants are (blank). I forgot there are none, other than fast food places. Yes, there is a conference hotel, but really why have a conference there when there are other places surrounding that offer better venues. Doesn't make sense. Maybe the life you lived is satisfactory but there is more to Southbridge than Southbridge. Get in your car and go to some other place. Life in Southbridge becomes repetative and boring.

Sincerely,

Sturbird

Old 02-20-2014, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,554 times
I live in Sturbridge. I recommend it , especially for a renter. (I am not from here, therefore I have no home town biases). Sturbridge is more upscale overall, has a great school system , a lower crime rate than the other towns (exept the farther out rural towns with more barns than people) and yes, really close to all the exits to major routes. It has a decent tourist business because of Old Sturbridge Village and nice surrounding . VERY KID FRIENDLY. Dudley is indeed a nice town but not great for commuters. Southbridge has a lot going on culturally but it is very mixed income-wise and has a higher crime rate. Also, it's in Sturbridge's back yard anyway so you can visit there anytime. Sturbridge is becoming very pricey for home owners like me because the taxes keep going up. Then again, the taxes help keep the school system and nice environment secure. For a renter , a few extra bucks in rent is a small price to pay for the best town to live in and commute in - that's why even as a home owner I am staying for as long as I can. If you want rent room however, let me know! Can use the extra $$ in jolly Olde Sturbridge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts