Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 06:41 PM

10,742 posts, read 23,798,187 times

Advertisements

I'm chuckling at the post in 2008 that said average 2 br condo go'd for 350K. Sure the higher end condos in downtown do, but you could grab a 3br in a place like this in Salem...

219 Lafayette Street, Salem MA 01970 | Homes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 11:37 AM

15 posts, read 20,241 times
Default Just Wondering...

Hi there I was wondering if you ever did move out to Salem from AZ. Being from AZ myself I was planning to move out there can you tell me if it worked out for you thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorose View Post
Please help! I am wanting to move to the Salem, MA area but need to know about what to expect in monthly costs such as rent, utilities, and other similiar expenses. I have used Cost Of Living calculators but they always include things that I would not need such prescription medications and car payments. I live simply so I would like to know the average cost of the basics (rent, electricity, gas, trash, water and sewer, cable, internet). I have read many threads about how the COL is very high in the Northeast but I feel that it has to be better that dehydrating out here in the desert of Arizona. Any info would be helpful in my preparations. Thank You.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:45 AM

15 posts, read 20,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I am from AZ too and wanting to move to MA as well. Wow, 200 to 300 a month for heating sounds so cheap to me. I pay 500 a month for 6 months for air conditioning. But I live in Phoenix so, it gets really hot. My electric in the winter is about 200 or less.
I want to move to Southern Ma, although who wouldn't want to live in Salem, beautiful place. I have kids so it will be cheaper in Southern MA.
It seems cheaper than the West to me which is strange so far. I keep hearing how expensive it is there and wondering if I am missing something? Looked at some 3 bedroom rentals in Plymouth and around and found several for around 1500 a month. Heating around 300 to 350 a month, and most groceries seem cheaper there, except oranges, well citrus in general. But the seafood is so much cheaper. Yeah!
I'm wondering if I'm fooling my self somehow. Why doesn't it seem more expensive than Phoenix?
Any advise from MA? I would appreciate it.
P.S. Plus the schools seem so much better there.
Hi there yea I lived in Tucson for about 4 years and the prices seemed to skyrocket after the building boom of 2005. My heating bill in Tucson was around 300 in the winter and a/c well lets just say it was around as much or more. I visited Salem and fell in love with the small cozy place. I live in Puerto Rico now but the way of life here and the school system fell way below my expectations, beautiful place though and wonderful people. I plan to move out to MA or a place like that in the next 6 mo or so.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:49 PM

91 posts, read 189,372 times
I'm planning on a move to Salem in 3-4 years as well. I guess I should say my husband and I are talking about it. It will be a major undertaking, to say the least, getting our belongings pared down to move over that time, but it's something I want very much to do. I fell in love with Salem during October. I have never seen anything so beautiful as the ocean and all the wonderful little shops and friendly people. I am from Podunk Teeny Town in Indiana, one of zillions of small towns resting on its laurels while it falls apart around the town council. I'm 41 and I simply want a change.

My husband does IT and I am pursuing my bachelor's in nursing and work at a hospital. I've posted in several other state forums while I pondered moving here and there, but I always wanted Salem...I just didn't think my husband would agree to it.

Also, people talk about the high prices, and they are higher than where we are-to be sure, but there are also homes that fall in our range of 250,000-275,000. I'm sure some of them need a bit of work, but we're willing if it's not too extensive. I think it's a matter of doing a lot of searching and homework. We'll be getting a smaller home than we currently have, but that's okay, too.

As for heating, I know it will be high, but I'm telling you that our all-electric home here in southeastern Indiana has, for the past three years, cost us 500-650 a month in the winter to heat because of our emergency heat pump kicking on when it gets below a certain temp. My husband put a meter on our electric to measure the cost of that heat pump, and we are paying 2.50 a MINUTE when it's on. So this winter, we're going to learn to wear heavier sweaters and just deal with it. So the heating bills I've heard about is Mass aren't so staggering to me.

We're planning a trip to see Salem again in Oct 2011. My oldest girl has a friend who is coming with us to see the town during the big Halloween season (my fave holiday). My husband and I plan to take trips on our own during different seasons to see what it's like and get used to things. After all, I'd like to see the place the way it is the rest of the year, not just Halloween!

Would love to talk to anyone who wants to chat about Salem. I'm at wildirishrose4u222@gmail.com
(remove the 222, I just put that on there for spammers).

Cara

Old 09-08-2010, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,141 times
Hi Everyone,

I am also thinking of relocating to Salem from Manhattan and wanted to know if it offers the diversity of many cultures with interests such as art, music, lectures and a small town feel. If I take a yoga class will I bump into some of my classmates in town, or is it too big for that? I want a small town feel but also o feel like I am living amongst open-minded, well educated and friendly people. Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks!

Old 04-03-2011, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,878 times
We have lived in Salem for 10 years now and are ready to move. The parking situation has gotten severely worse. The current mayor is only concerned with getting re-elected as a US Senator and has done nothing to help the residents or small businesses. Taxes are going up. No effort to maintain the cleanliness of the city has been made. Trash from tourists is scattered everywhere. In fact the tourist have more rights and perks than the residents. I will miss the old magical Salem we once had. Thanks to Mayor Driscoll and her cronies, it is now a thing of the past.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,313 times
Default Music culture in Salem?

Hi, I'm a singer-songwriter who will be looking for entre into the Boston music scene....I'm wondering what Salem (and Beverly, etc) have to offer. Are there any venues offering live music? Are there community concerts? Music stores? Luthiers?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,723 times
Default Has been dreaming of living in Salem, since childhood!

I've read your post and I've been wanting to live in Salem for Years! ha, even though I'm only 20 years old me and my husband are looking for a place like this! I was only wondering exactly how much it costs to live there? Our only issue is that we would have to save enough before coming to live there and since there is no family members out that far we would be out on a limb of knowing such things, we would like to get a house if possible, one that is rent to own or a decent enough apartment that allows animals. my husband works at walmart and most likely would get a transfer so thats what type of income we have and would have to live there, if you can help us out it would mean alot you can direct message me. thanks!

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-21-2011 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: do not post your email on the forum. please

Old 08-31-2018, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 585 times
Smile Moving, also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo20 View Post
I'm considering a move to Salem as well, early next year. I'm from Southern California and currently live in West Hollywood and in need of a change of scenery. I fell in love with MA when I visited Boston and surrounding areas and have thought about moving there for awhile.

Can anyone tell me if it's a dog friendly city? I'm a dog trainer and behaviorist with two small dogs and most of the rentals I've found take pets, but I'm just wondering if they're welcome around town as well.

Any info at all on living in Salem would be greatly appreciated!

Hi! I am looking into moving to Salem currently, and am also an animal trainer/behaviorist. Do you have any insight about that field of work within Salem or surrounding areas?! And did you end up moving there and loving it?!

Old 06-06-2019, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 398 times
I am thinking of moving to Salem ma and trying to find out roughly what rent is for 3 bedrooms , kitchen ,bathroom and livingroom. I am moving from upstate NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts