Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2008, 01:20 PM

102 posts, read 449,854 times

Advertisements

I admit shopping at Walmart for its great value and variety, but Mom and Pop stores are the true "superstores," in my opinion.

The merchandise might be the same as in the superstores but the old-fashioned feeling, great customer service, and overall warm character have us seeking out these stores of yesteryear. Of course, we can all remember the grumpy, old store owner who didn't like kids -- or any human beings, for that matter. It seemed, however, that most Mom and Pop stores were in business for the right reasons: to serve the community and make a decent living for their own families.

I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread on quality Mom and Pop stores in existance around the Boston area. Perhaps this will give these hard-working retail businesses more visibility, and also to give newcomers to Boston some of the area's traditional retail flavor. I will start this thread off with:

Lord's Department Store, Medfield -- Old-time, small general store with fine gifts, lots of toys, office goods, decorations, kitchen goods, yarn, greeting cards and more. There's even a lunchonette with counter and stools in the back called Coffee Sensations that serves wonderful breakfasts and lunches -- and, well, coffee, too! The overall store looks like a more organized, refined Woolworth's, but without any of the old-fashioned flavor taken away. The red script neon sign in front of the store will make you fall in love with this 60-plus-year-old store even before you start shopping!

I look forward to your favorite Mom and Pop store feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: