U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-08-2008, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,201 times
Default Williamstown,MA!

Hi,everyone! I'm 15 and grew up in Boston,however,we inherited some land over at Williamstown and the whole family is moving...

So the town is pretty small right? I can live with that but please tell me SOMETHING about it!

I've never been there,tried to goggle pics of it and couldn't find anything!

Is it pretty,are people friendly,is the area more rural,are the schools good?
Is there something to do?
Is it dangerous?
Ugly?
Loud?
Is there some nice nature over there cause I have a sister who's a photographer?
I mean,what is life like over there?

I'm sorry if some of these questions sound rude but I'm sure most of people who have lived in HUGE areas such as Boston undergoing this very sudden and drastic change of scenery would understand,right?

Thank you very very much for all the info!

Old 09-08-2008, 04:28 PM

739 posts, read 1,034,745 times
It's not dangerous, maybe a little pretentious at worst. Safe though. Quiet if you're not on a main street.

The local kids typically break down into either academics, jocks or artsy cliques. Some of them will be kids of professors, some will be townies more provincial/isolated than you're used to in Boston, but not all. Maybe you can move in all circles.

Not much diversity. You might gravitate toward Northampton for something to do with a little more edge and style. Nothing to fear in Williamstown except boredom.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:07 AM

2 posts, read 5,201 times
Thanks!
I'm now a little worried about this 'boredom' thing,not a very nice change from Boston life!

Is it pretty there? Nice environment? Places to walk or something?
Also,are the neighborhoods nice,the lots?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:48 AM

286 posts, read 689,508 times
Williamstown is in a gorgeous area. It's very rural, so it may take you some time to adjust. There are lots of places to go hiking, but not much else. If you love nature, Williamstown is the place to be. It is very photogenic. There is also the Mass MOCA museum in nearby North Adams, which is a very sweet contemporary art museum definitely worth checking out. (MASS MoCA)

Old 09-09-2008, 09:22 AM

746 posts, read 2,243,394 times
Williamstown calls itself "The Village Beautiful" and it one of the prettiest in Massachusetts, mostly thanks to its farms and mountains. Williams College is also here, as is the Clark Art Museum, the Cricket Creek and Peace Farms where you can get all manner of fresh milk and veggies, and the lands under conservation are a joy to explore.

Boring? Only to those who think pub crawling is essential. There are plenty of things to to in Williamstown if you are somewhat educated, and open to the new and different. If you like shopping you will be challenged, though the downtown is still very much alive. The WalMart is over in North Adams.

During the summer there is the Williamstown Theatre Festival and the college's performing arts center offers other fare in the winter months. The Images Cinema is a local gathering place, showing good films. For more commercial fare, you can go to the Mall or North Adams where there are multiplexes and the latest films, albeit a week or two behind the rest of the country.

Williamstown also has a Jazz Festival, a Film Festival and River Rafting celebrations on the Hoosic River.

You really ought to get to Williamstown and look things over. You may have inherited a gem and some interesting possibilities for a slower, more rural kind of life, but with many big city amenities.

As to what else is going on in the area, use this link: http://www.berkshirefinearts.com/?pa...d=798&catID=21

There are also plenty of free magazines at the supermarket listing the many things to do.

I hope this gives you a bit of an idea.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:41 PM

646 posts, read 1,793,569 times
Also just to add if you want a little bit bigger town to go to Bennington Vt,is just a quick ride north up rt 7,or go down to Pittsfield.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:02 PM

746 posts, read 2,243,394 times
Honey_Bun, you didn't say too much about what interests you personally. Your tastes and priorities (and adaptability) will make or break the move in your eyes.

I also neglected to respond to some other concerns. Yes it is safe, and the schools are considered good for the Berkshires. It is also remarkably quiet, especially at night. You can sleep with the windows open. In the summer at least.

As to making friends, that is really subjective and depends a lot on you. The folks around here are "nice" but not overly friendly. You really have to work at finding compatible friends, though at 15 it could be either a breeze or a nightmare, if you know what I mean.

I moved to the Berkshires 6 years ago after spending most of my life in Boston, Brookline and Braintree. At first I liked the city best and now I have come to appreciate the country. Having found some wonderful new friends has made my life here even more interesting than it was before.

Good luck!

Old 09-12-2008, 06:27 PM

646 posts, read 1,793,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
Honey_Bun, you didn't say too much about what interests you personally. Your tastes and priorities (and adaptability) will make or break the move in your eyes.

I also neglected to respond to some other concerns. Yes it is safe, and the schools are considered good for the Berkshires. It is also remarkably quiet, especially at night. You can sleep with the windows open. In the summer at least.

As to making friends, that is really subjective and depends a lot on you. The folks around here are "nice" but not overly friendly. You really have to work at finding compatible friends, though at 15 it could be either a breeze or a nightmare, if you know what I mean.

I moved to the Berkshires 6 years ago after spending most of my life in Boston, Brookline and Braintree. At first I liked the city best and now I have come to appreciate the country. Having found some wonderful new friends has made my life here even more interesting than it was before.

Good luck!

Good post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts