Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2008, 12:33 AM

87 posts, read 364,617 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm considering relocating to one of these towns. I've heard Northampton is great, but hear rents are cheaper in Florence and Easthampton.

What is the major difference between these towns?

I just want to live simply and cheaply. $650 in rent for studio would be fine. I'm an ad copywriter but I'd do any kind of part time work just to be able to live.

Is this doable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 10:42 AM

289 posts, read 1,270,750 times
Technically, Florence is a section of Northampton. It's a safe, quiet, suburban-like area. Apartments are generally cheaper than the rest of Northampton because it's located on the outskirts, a bit away from Smith College and the downtown area. You may also want to try Leeds, which is right next to Florence and has similar rental rates and the same atmosphere. I think Leeds may also be another section of Northampton. Yes, you can find a studio there for $650 or less.

Easthampton is like a sister of Northampton. It's similar, but it has it's differences. The downtown area in Easthampton is smaller than Northampton's downtown, but it has some nice shops. It's not quite as alive as Northampton, but it's certainly not dead either. They have the Easthampton Art Walk every month downtown (Art Walk Easthampton -- Second Saturday each Month) and every Thursday evening local musicians perform in the common. Easthampton is also very cheap and you could easily find a studio for less than $650. We are renting a large one-bedroom apartment in Easthampton for only $675, which I think is about average for the town.

Last edited by theh; 09-11-2008 at 10:52 AM..

Old 09-11-2008, 12:45 PM

35 posts, read 218,299 times
Default Different Vibes

Northampton is a vibrant and diverse community with a very active downtown shopping/restaurant/nightclub district and many rental options available (condos, homes, complexes, etc).

Florence is very charming with a much quieter pace, probably more suited to a quieter lifestyle. Because it is a suburb, rents are lower, but apartments are not as numerous as in Northampton. It's really 5 minutes from downtown and connected by the bike path as well.

Easthampton is in a period of growth, much of which has stemmed from the high rents (both commercial and residential) in Northampton, and it's ability to transform itself from its blue-collar, factory beginnings to a haven for artists and young professionals. Rents are somewhat lower, but may be harder to find. The Manhan Rail Trail, is poised to join Northampton's bike path, making the entire area very interconnected.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:17 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,769,108 times
All 3 are great places, I love them all... Nothing negative at all.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:28 AM

184 posts, read 658,501 times
Northampton, though "vibrant" and having lots to do, pays for it with some nasty traffic and parking problems. Also, the cultural scene (IMO) is not what it was back in the 1980's and early '90's, at least the music scene. I've lived there in different locations and loved it as a single party-type, but wouldn't want to raise kids there, mainly due to the crowding and traffic.

Easthampton did NOT appeal to me at all; it seems cut-off, somehow...as if at the end of a long, desolate road. There are some nice houses (Victorians, mostly) and a posh prep school there, but not much else.

Florence CAN be nice, depending on where you live (as in not down by the old factories). Up near the center is okay, or out near Look Park. There's even a decent town "swimming hole" there, though it's crowded and muddy.

For access to the culture of N'ton and yet countryside (for biking, walking), try Haydenville, Whately, Hatfield or South Hadley (though prices are higher, due to Mt. Holyoke). From any of those towns, it's a 5-10 min. drive to downtown Noho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts