U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-24-2008, 08:33 AM

6 posts, read 30,313 times
Unhappy New Crime Rating Springfield, MA 40th worst city in the country

Using 2008 per-capita statistics http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/City...8_Rank_Rev.pdf
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/Methodology.pdf

1 New Orleans, LA 441.40
2 Camden, NJ 381.84
3 Detroit, MI 381.24
4 St. Louis, MO 355.01
5 Oakland, CA 328.82
6 Flint, MI 297.59
7 Gary, IN 283.41
8 Birmingham, AL 278.72
9 Richmond, CA 276.76
10 North Charleston, SC 257.88
11 Cleveland, OH 255.80
12 Baltimore, MD 243.12
13 Miami Gardens, FL 239.51
14 Memphis, TN 236.10
15 Youngstown, OH 234.56
16 Atlanta, GA 230.58
17 Compton, CA 229.22
18 Orlando, FL 223.95
19 Little Rock, AR 219.20
20 Minneapolis, MN 200.18
21 Washington, DC 194.33
22 Philadelphia, PA 192.10
23 Jackson, MS 186.15
24 Newark, NJ 177.47
25 Milwaukee, WI 176.65
26 Dayton, OH 171.29
27 Hartford, CT 170.84
28 Cincinnati, OH 168.22
29 Buffalo, NY 167.43
30 Trenton, NJ 161.30
31 Baton Rouge, LA 160.20
32 Rochester, NY 158.95
33 Indianapolis, IN 156.08
34 Dallas, TX 154.69
35 Miami, FL 153.95
36 San Bernardino, CA 153.75
37 Tulsa, OK 151.21 1
38 Macon, GA 146.34 1
39 Tacoma, WA 143.92 1
40 Springfield, MA 141.58
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-24-2008, 08:53 AM

5,117 posts, read 8,153,377 times
Interesting, I wonder how some of the people in other cities on the list feel about these rankings. I don't have any problem with Springfield (in fact, I think it gets a worse rap than it deserves) but I'm not surprised to see it on this list. However, places like Tacoma, Macon, San Bernardino, Milwaulkee, Minneapolis, and Richmond CA have never resonated as "dangerous places" in my mind.

I read through the Methodology page in the link and I'm wondering if many of those cities were SUPER high in one particular area (i.e. burglary) and that percentage pushed them far higher than they would have been.

i was also surprised to see Hartford ranked 27th! Many people love to make the claim that Hartford is the safer, more desirable city than Springfield; and while neither are in a wonderful position by even being placed on this list, Springfield is ranked as a safer place.

Unread 11-24-2008, 09:03 AM

3,543 posts, read 5,234,659 times
You're right. Springfield is actually moving down on most of the "dangerous cities" lists. I remember when it was considered a lot worse than Hartford. I know that Hartford has been considered to be the most dangerous city in New England for the last 3 years or so.

Unread 11-24-2008, 01:34 PM

5,117 posts, read 8,153,377 times
^Interesting. I looked at the full list and it's pretty interesting to see where Bay State cities rank. Boston comes in at an even 100, New Bedford at 136, Worcester at 164 (!), Providence RI at 168, Lowell at 174, Cambridge way down at 306, Quincy at 318, and Newton 4 spots from the end of the list at 382. The method page said that they ranked all cities in the US with populations over 74,000 so on that logic, Newton, Cambridge and Quincy would be considered among the safer cities in the US.

Hartford's one of the few New England cities I've never been to, but I want to check it out soon. I've heard horrible things from people (the same ones who continue on to say Springfield is worse), yet I frequently see it ranked high on lists of places to see a live show and other positive rankings.

Unread 12-12-2008, 09:58 PM

12 posts, read 70,626 times
Those rankings are shocking to me as well. I'm aware New Orleans has always had a crime problem, especially after the devistation it encountered with Katrina, but considering it bumped Detroit and St. Louis down a peg (and they have been number one and two for years) is suprising. I agree with your comment regarding these stats mainly focus on certain parts of the cities. I believe that to be the case. I think these statistics were poorly done and probably rushed through. I do not think overall Milwaukee and Minneapolis belong on the list, along with several others, especially being in the top 40. My comments toward Springfield are as follows: I have never been to the city itself I have only driven through it, but it's good to hear that you feel the crime is descending.

Unread 07-09-2009, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 17,655 times
Considering i live in springfield, i was actually expecting it to be higher up on the list. So far this year there have already been 10 murders, most of them drug-related, and prostitution and teen-pregnancy have skyrocketed.also,springfield is practically crawling with gangs.

Unread 07-09-2009, 06:33 PM

743 posts, read 1,455,526 times
I kind of think that Springfield is in the right location in the list. I'd rather put Boston at #80 or so rather than #100, its definitely safer than many other cities but still has a lot of violent crime.

I just visited Hartford recently but only went to the good parts such as West End and Asylum Hill; they seem decent to me for the most part but Hartford locals told me before in the Connecticut Forum that the bad parts of Hartford are complete war zones. Hartford thus is not suprisingly high on the list.

Unread 07-09-2009, 06:48 PM

945 posts, read 1,072,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
i was also surprised to see Hartford ranked 27th! Many people love to make the claim that Hartford is the safer, more desirable city than Springfield; and while neither are in a wonderful position by even being placed on this list, Springfield is ranked as a safer place.
I live in hartford and it is much more dangerous then springfield. We have 120K people and had 31 murders last year. THis year we already have about 18 homicides. Springfield just seemed more desolate and isolated to me.

Unread 04-10-2011, 11:01 AM

7 posts, read 15,586 times
Default Springfield, Hartford and 1400 miles away

I lived In Springfield for Many years. I was raised their for a part of my younger years then my family moved me to the country. When I grew old enough to go out on my own I returned to the city as a 17 year old girl almost turning 18, and moved into a boarding house in the Hill McKnight area.
It was all men There, and one bathroom but the rent was right and they looked after me.
I then moved above The State Street Bar across from the Springfield Armory and worked in the bar down below as a bartender. I traveled only by bus and I remember every face every day. Springfield was a familiar town. of course there was the beggars, the gangs and rabble rouser's. But going out and being on the street waiting for buses, and being friendly with a smile or a hello, and being aware, you became a part of the city.
They(the city folk) knew who you were, and you knew who they were. When you were missing for a day or two, someone you never spoke to before, but maybe smiled at on the bus, would ask you if you were ok. Even the bus drivers would get to know you. The bus drivers helped make the city friendlier.
I traveled to Hartford, The bus and train stations would make me very uncomfortable. I wouldn't have the same reactions. Just stare downs in which I would stare straight ahead and go where I was going but kept my alert level up. But I would only go to Hartford to enjoy the park. Id Occasionally go to NYC also preferably by bus, and only got struck once from behind, with a glass bottle to the head, knocking me unconcious in the Port Authority during the Rodney King rioting while I was pregnant with my eldest. However, it never stopped me from enjoying me weekend trips to Manhattan.
As a child growing up in Springfield I remember having to hide behind bushes to get home from school without getting my but kicked. I went back because I wanted to find a citified, smart, educated, man. However, from the late 80's till 1999 when i left Springfield for good and moved to Florida to become a farmer and give all my children a better life, I felt safe in Springfield any time I was there. Day or night.I moved to Florida in 1999 and divorced the citified man and married a southern country man and must say, never been happier in my whole life. Now my eldest son goes to school in Springfield because he lives with his father,He is also the only one of my children who has gotten the worst education, school is a struggle for him. He talks gang speak, yet claims he is not in a gang, that he has to speak like that to survive. He just told me they had a bomb at his school last Friday, thankfully inert, but I called his father wanting my son to come home to me and his father says it was nothing, stop overreacting, I said , yeah but what if it was something.
I think back at all the times I used to sit in the Springfield common, feeding the pigeons, and squirrels, watching people on their lunch break, on my own lunch break from the top floor of the mass mutual building, and the lovely photography Ive taken of the first baptist church, the city hall and other building structures in that city that seem very masonic. And all I have to remind me of a time that used to be is my pictures which literally take you back to a earlier time........even then.....................

Unread 04-10-2011, 04:44 PM

746 posts, read 2,081,244 times
Of course, these statistics assume that the cities are counting and reporting the crimes accurately. Many don't knowing there will be bad publicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts