Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 10:04 AM

368 posts, read 1,388,479 times

Advertisements

I'm fairly sold on Sharon or Wrentham at this point, but Blackstone caught my eye. The Crime index for both it and Plainville were WAYYY above other towns in that area. Blackstone was at 151 and Plainville was at 201(!), while most others ranged from a low of 28 (Franklin)to a high of 66 (Wrentham). (Blackstone also had the highest number of sex offenders of any of the towns I looked at.) What about these two towns make them such outliers?

I realize Blackstone/Millville are very rural areas. That doesn't bother me in the least, as we'd be close to bigger towns.

My questions about Blackstone:
Do the schools offer before/after school care?
Are there day cares in the area?
What type of kids sports are available?
Are the people as stand-offish as the majority of the area, or is it a more open area?
Is it considered a wealthy area, or middle-class?
Are newcomers to the area something in the realm of the norm, or will a new family moving to the area cause a big stir?
Weekend activities?
Will the roads be less traveled and therefore more treacherous in snow conditions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 10:29 AM

44 posts, read 166,350 times
I have to say, I also can't wait to hear from others who may be familiar with the town what the deal is with those crime stats, and what the towns are like ... but if you're looking for a house, and have kids, why even keep looking at a town with an anomalous number of offenders?

Old 12-01-2008, 11:01 AM

368 posts, read 1,388,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliekeet View Post
I have to say, I also can't wait to hear from others who may be familiar with the town what the deal is with those crime stats, and what the towns are like ... but if you're looking for a house, and have kids, why even keep looking at a town with an anomalous number of offenders?
Well Charlie, because I'm wondering if the numbers are telling the truth. The researcher in me is interested in what makes a little town of 9,000 people such an outlier. Can't really blame proximity to border of RI (such as we would blame a border with Mexico down here). Could possibly blame proximity to major arteries, but other towns along the same routes aren't suffering the same fate.

And because in the grand scheme of things, I come from a city with 1 sex offender for every SIX HUNDRED AND SEVENTY SEVEN people and a crime index of 478 (US national average is 321). Seen in that light, a CI of 151 and ratio of 3014:1 sex offenders doesn't seem nearly as scary.

Sonya

Old 12-01-2008, 01:45 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,417 times
Default Sharon, Wrentham and Blackstone

I would bet the same house in Sharon which would sell for approximately 500K, would sell for about 375K in Wrentham, and about 290K in Blackstone. Usually, the closer you go to Boston, the more expensive.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:34 AM

44 posts, read 166,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AandD View Post
Well Charlie, because I'm wondering if the numbers are telling the truth. The researcher in me is interested in what makes a little town of 9,000 people such an outlier. Can't really blame proximity to border of RI (such as we would blame a border with Mexico down here). Could possibly blame proximity to major arteries, but other towns along the same routes aren't suffering the same fate.

And because in the grand scheme of things, I come from a city with 1 sex offender for every SIX HUNDRED AND SEVENTY SEVEN people and a crime index of 478 (US national average is 321). Seen in that light, a CI of 151 and ratio of 3014:1 sex offenders doesn't seem nearly as scary.

Sonya
I see - everything's relative, certainly. It's a good question- I really am wondering myself. Maybe everyone gets out of nearby state facilities and decides to settle in Blackstone?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:16 AM

3 posts, read 13,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliekeet View Post
I see - everything's relative, certainly. It's a good question- I really am wondering myself. Maybe everyone gets out of nearby state facilities and decides to settle in Blackstone?
Right across the border of Blackstone/Millville is Woonsocket, RI. Woonsocket is one of the many tragic mill towns of New England. It used to be a bustling center of industry and a center of French-Canadian immigration, but when the mills closed, Woonsocket and nearby Pawtucket quickly turned into the armpits of Rhode Island.

That said, Blackstone is not a bad place to live in. It's a very rural, blue-collar town close to similar towns in Worcester and Norfolk counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts