Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 04:23 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,397,302 times

Advertisements

Well what I meant by Springfield is its in western part of mass closer to springfield and western mass than Boston

i.e. you can drive from Amherst to Springfield area in about 20 min or so.

its in the Pioneer Valley compared to closer to Boston

Yes Amherst is not IN springfield, but its close enough that you can have things to do if you have a car or something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 04:25 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,397,302 times
The reason I suggest a car your sophmore-senior year is that you can get out and explore all the region has to offer. when you finish your work and/or have some time off. Why be stuck on campus all day when you could be out hiking up in Vermont or the Berkshires, checking out some of Northhampton, Deerrfield area, kayaking or canoeing or rafting the connecticut river, and seeing the basketball hall of fame and going to the Big E in Sept/October in Springfield. You would have more options to do things than just be stuck on campus all the time - if you had a vehicle. - I think most schools dont allow cars freshman year so freshman year you might be stuck but I'd highly recommend having a car to explore the region - with ---sophmore-senior year

Old 01-10-2019, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 671 times
Graduated UMass boston 1976. Lived in Dorchester. Which was very affordable but then Boston and Cambridge were affordable then. From what I’ve heard, like most cities, has become unaffordable with studio apartments renting for 2 grand and up. Having said that, I loved living in and around Boston. No car needed. There was a monthly metro pass that provided unlimited travel. Was a great walking city-Mass ave from downtown to Harvard square. Some great museums. And I believe is still a great place for seeing films c

One note: QS world ranking universities, Amherst 259, Boston 590. Something to think about though your major might be a factor.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:48 AM

2,912 posts, read 5,125,154 times
At least they finally have s dorm on the Boston campus. And it's nice and new, I think two buildings now.

My barista last week, who is the first to live in his dorm room, shares with another guy and they have a private bathroom! But he said not all rooms have private bath.

He said he's transferring to the Amherst campus next year.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:15 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,879,384 times
I would choose ULowell over the two, especially for engineering. IMO, they have better relationships with industry than Umass Amherst has (aside form Business) and is a better bet for employment if you want to stay around Boston, especially north of the city.

But.. I wonder if this will change with Umass Amherst's acquisition of Mount Ida. Looks like they will use it to house interns working in Boston among other things.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:14 AM

24,509 posts, read 17,967,651 times
A necro thread bumped.

It depends on your major. With soaring college costs, UMass-Amherst is way more selective than it used to be in the ZooMass days for certain degree programs so the academics is more rigorous. For a lot of the "Starbucks barista after you graduate" majors, UMass-Amherst isn't going to open any more doors than UMass-Boston. Profs have to teach to the level of their students.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:44 AM

23,072 posts, read 18,215,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
For a lot of the "Starbucks barista after you graduate" majors, UMass-Amherst isn't going to open any more doors than UMass-Boston. Profs have to teach to the level of their students.
That goes for almost all universities, including very well regarded private ones. As an undergrad what the student takes away and the differences in quality of instruction between these places, is negligible (especially the GER courses).

But yes, that is hugely dependent on the major. UMASS Amherst is top notch in some, UMASS Boston in a few other. For engineering, Lowell outdoes both.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:07 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,783,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theh View Post
If you decide you want to major in anthro, I highly HIGHLY recommend you go to UMass, Amherst. The anthro program at UMass, Amherst is recognized as being one of the top ten in the nation. Many of the professors are very prestigious in the anthro-world and can earn you some good connections for the future. If you choose to continue with anthropology and go on to grad school, it is VERY attractive to have a degree from UMass, Amherst. UMass, Amherst in general is very strong with the social sciences.

Amherst has a very elaborate PVTA system. You don't need a car.

There is tons of diversity at UMass, Amherst. So many different students from different backgrounds and cultures. I also had non-traditional students in nearly every class I took, and there are PLENTY of students who are 22+.

You can take classes at the other four colleges in the area at UMass, Amherst: Hampshire, Mt. Holyoke, Smith, and Amherst. You can't do that at UMass, Boston.

I personally would pick UMass, Amherst over UMass, Boston any time. There is SO much opportunity and such a huge mix of people at Amherst. You can be anyone or anything you want to be and nobody will judge you. It is hard not to fit in at Amherst. There is something for everyone.
Exactly. I was there 20 years ago so maybe it has changed but I never needed a car unless it was to go home or a road trip to VT or NYC or someplace further out of the area. You can easily walk from campus to downtown Amherst and use busses to get to Northhampton and most of the popular off campus living areas

Old 01-12-2019, 02:01 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,209,640 times
Isenberg is the best choice for business. Ulowell is known for engineering. UMass Boston has the best location.

Anyway if the OP was leaving high school when this was first posted he/she is about 30 years old now.

Anyway Amherst is pretty damn selective now. It's no longer the place people go when they can't get into "better" schools.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:36 AM

2,912 posts, read 5,125,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Isenberg is the best choice for business. Ulowell is known for engineering. UMass Boston has the best location.

Anyway if the OP was leaving high school when this was first posted he/she is about 30 years old now.

Anyway Amherst is pretty damn selective now. It's no longer the place people go when they can't get into "better" schools.
I would not call an acceptance rate of over 58% "selective." Do most people?

BC and Northeastern are identical now at 28.5%. BU is 32%.

I really don't know if these stats have any meaning to most, but I've researched about 100 schools for acceptance rates -- just out of curiosity -- and some schools will surprise people, either as being more selective than thought, others less selective.

Wellesley is 29℅, U-Mass-Lowell 56%, U-Mass Boston 68%, Tufts 14%, Brandeis is 34%, Babson 26%, Bentley 42%.

Emerson College 49%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts