U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-11-2008, 01:14 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,506,579 times
Default Moving from Hartford area CT to MASS

I'm looking for a decent place on the CT/MASS border to rent a 3 bedroom apartment.

Can anyone give me some towns to stay away from?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 06:37 PM
miu

12,955 posts, read 21,492,877 times
What elements are you trying to avoid? Most of the border towns are decent, but boring imo.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:08 AM

Are there parts of Springfield that are decent. Diversity is also an important factor. Crime, obviously as well.

School system and what the town invests in their children are an important factor. Westfield seems to have a lot going on and it's in close proximity to shopping.

I'm coming from Hartford, CT.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:45 PM

91 posts, read 197,353 times
Avoid Southbridge. Too much drug trafficking. Corrupt police force. Contentious ethnic relations.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:18 PM

436 posts, read 753,798 times
Southwick is nice and parts of Agawam are nice. Longmeadow is nice but might not be very affordable. Keep in mind, that if you work in CT and live in MA you will need to file state taxes in both states.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:21 PM
miu

12,955 posts, read 21,492,877 times
What do you do for work? If I was going to be in that area of MA, I'd try to live in Amherst.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:36 PM

184 posts, read 420,256 times
More toward the western part of the line there are: Wilbraham,MA (has great private school), Hampden, MA (quaint, expensive - website:Hamden, Connecticut - Town of Hamden Official Homepage), Somers, CT. They have ice-skating parties! What could be more New-Englandy?

Further east, Brimfield, MA is nice (rural and lots of traffic during flea market). Here's the link to City-data's page on Brimfield: http://www.city-data.com/city/Brimfi...achusetts.html

Tolland & Stafford Springs, CT, near there, are also nice, as I recall. Tollund's website:

tolland.org

My advice: Avoid Sturbridge: high-priced, lots of traffic, huge "snob factor", hard to get accepted (I grew up there!). I second the above take on Southbridge!

Old 12-14-2008, 08:05 PM

I looked at a place in East Springfield the other day. It was a 2 family house. Older Irish lady lived on the 1st floor and I would be living on the second floor. The landlord and his wife had lived in this apartment for 20 years until they bought a house further out. A lot of updates have been made to the apartment and I would actually be paying less money for a 3 bedroom then i would for my 2 bedroom apartment here in Hartford. They added updated cabinets and turned the pantry into a laundry room. I like the fact that I could do my laundry in the comfort of my own home without have to lug everything around. There's also a lot of shopping close by. The rent is only $790. If I were to find something like that here, i'd be paying $1200.

I'm mainly concerned with how the schools are. I'm a very involved parent and both my children to very well in school.

I'm more of a homebody so attractions for myself aren't that important; it would be more-so for my kids. I'm also going through a divorce.

Also, diversity is important to me. I'm puerto rican and my kids are half african american. I'd like to live in a mixed area.

I'm looking at a place in Chicopee tomorrow night.

I love Amhurst. I have some close friends that went to UMASS and live in that area. It would just be too far of a commute for me.

I did look at a place in Southwick, but in my opinion it was much too rural for me. I get really nervous driving up and down hills in the winter.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What do you do for work? If I was going to be in that area of MA, I'd try to live in Amherst.

I'm a marketing coordinator for a commercial real estate development firm. I work right off I-91 - Exit 38.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts