Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 05:26 PM

659 posts, read 895,895 times

Advertisements

It hasn't stopped since early Friday afternoon. I'm sick of it. It messed up the whole weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 05:34 PM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,070,366 times
I've been shoveling non stop all weekend. Good exercise though.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:37 PM

9,951 posts, read 15,545,551 times
I'm sick of it too, the roads are a mess.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:38 PM

379 posts, read 1,415,797 times
Well there isn't exactly a palm tree on your license plate is there?

Old 12-21-2008, 07:31 PM

9,951 posts, read 15,545,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarynO View Post
Well there isn't exactly a palm tree on your license plate is there?
Not all of them, no. But there is one car in my driveway that has a palmetto:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc294/CaseyB_011/Sclicenseplate.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-21-2008, 08:50 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,911,537 times
That's almost kind of funny since today's the first day of winter Gotta love New England...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowing Mindspin View Post
It hasn't stopped since early Friday afternoon. I'm sick of it. It messed up the whole weekend.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:10 PM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,070,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowing Mindspin View Post
It messed up the whole weekend.
I wasn't planning on leaving my house anyway. I hate shopping malls, especially this time of the year.

Better the weekend than a weekday like Monday or midweek. So no one else enjoys being snowbound? Drinking hot chocolate or making popcorn while watching tv? And some people got a three day weekend out of it.

I guess that I'm just a "the glass is half full" kind of person...

Old 12-22-2008, 06:58 AM

379 posts, read 1,415,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Not all of them, no. But there is one car in my driveway that has a palmetto:

Love to be there...I'm going to Disney World for New Years Eve...can't wait...I'm up here in the mountains of NH & I can tell ya few things about snow!!!

Old 12-22-2008, 07:01 AM

4,885 posts, read 13,779,140 times
Me too! New Englanders have this knack for knowing full well what living here entails, then complaining bitterly when an aspect of it - like real winter weather - occurs. I've never understood this. Nor has it ever made any sense that MBTA and highway crews are always caught unprepared.
Yesterday, the airlines were just as bad. On heavy travel days like Thanksgiving Sunday, they do a great job by having roving ticket agents making sure everybody in the long lines is able to get to their flights on time. Not so on 12/21. People were left to their own devices to the point where, despite its being delayed twice, the plane I was supposed to be on took off without me. Of course, none of the employees who stood around yakking with each other or giving folks attitude assumed any responsibility. Seems all the "real winter" going on would've caused it to occur to someone, "Hey, it's gonna be crazy today, better call in some extra help." But NO-O-O-O.
So now that I'm not leaving town until tomorrow afternoon, I'm going to take full advantage of days I had free anyway. Unwritten holiday cards will be finished. Stuff I didn't have time to buy will now get purchased. Great weekday lunch deals I never get to partake of are there for me. So is an array of movies at matinee prices.
Other than ice and wind, I think winter has its good points. Snowfalls obliterate dead yards and enhance bare trees. The white stuff is fun to clump around in and healthful to shovel, and I've always been able to renew neighborly ties and meet new people when others are engaged in the same chore at the same time. Afterwards, it feels goooood to stomp off the snow and kick back in a warm house with some hot soup or cocoa. My days of toboganning and snowball fights may be past, but it's fun to see kids delighting in these pastimes instead of wreaking Wii mayhem. The skiers and snowboarders among us are also invigorated.
While I'm out today, maybe I'll buy some cheese to send over for the TO to have with their w(h)ine

Old 12-22-2008, 07:36 AM

12,694 posts, read 21,844,633 times
^Good post, glad to see someone making the best out of a crappy situation. I feel the same way about the airlines on days like this. I would really love it if a ticket agent or other Logan employee could post here and share their side of the story, I'd love to hear why it's so bad (I know it's not always the fault of those on the floor).

I'm up in Portland Maine until later this afternoon (I'm braving the roads), and I spent about 2 hours digging out my car and about eight others as well as the sidewalk around a Chinese restaurant this morning. I met a lot of great people (and some I don't care to meet again) and it was fun as well as social. Maybe it's just me, but once I get going, it's hard to stop. I enjoy the exercise and the social aspect. The thought of hitting the slopes this weekend at Wildcat is also inviting.

Part of this sentiment is because it's December and we haven't dealt with the full brunt of winter yet... by February I'll be cursing with every shovel full of snow. But right now, it could be a lot worse. I really would rather be in New England than in some cookie-cutter suburb in Florida or Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts