Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:04 PM

142 posts, read 358,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blehman View Post
I've posed this question previously, when did so many people get so soft with regard to winter?
The winter lasts too long; I like a little snow and the kids do too; we just get sick of the lack of nicer weather here - meaning that the weather turns unpleasant from November through most of March.
The really pleasant weather in Massachusetts runs from May through most of October. Its nice but I wish it were longer.

And half the time its not even the snow; its just that its cold, wet, raw, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 04:28 AM

91 posts, read 330,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerBoston View Post
The winter lasts too long; I like a little snow and the kids do too; we just get sick of the lack of nicer weather here - meaning that the weather turns unpleasant from November through most of March.
The really pleasant weather in Massachusetts runs from May through most of October. Its nice but I wish it were longer.

And half the time its not even the snow; its just that its cold, wet, raw, etc.

From another Massachusetts native/icon

"Hear! hear!" screamed the jay from a neighboring tree, where I had heard a tittering for some time, "winter has a concentrated and nutty kernel, if you know where to look for it." ~Henry David Thoreau, 28 November 1858 journal entry

Old 12-29-2008, 11:08 AM

104 posts, read 260,085 times
I lived in GA for seven years. I didnt mind the weather at all... but I actually did miss the cold every fall.

But the damn Southern Conservatism is for the birds!
I agree with some of their values, family, community, self made/self improvement.. but overall I thought they were mostly bigoted nuts that sacrificed too much to benefit business... Atlanta did a horrible job of investing in its infrastructure and future. Smog, traffic, severe water problems, and sewerage literally bubbled up from the ground in DeKalb County... they've relied on the Federal teet for way too long, and I'd guess those days are over for the South... I dont think they will hold too many committee chairs in the next few sessions of Congress.

I had enough and went back to Mass and I've never second guessed myself about it. I'd rather struggle and be poor in New England than hang my hat with that lot.

It was such a relief to come home to people who get me, get my humor, say what's on their mind, have broad ranged opinions and a world view. And to people who are committed to civil rights and always ahead of the curve.

I'll never leave New England again, if anything I want the life of Maine!!!

Coastal Maine has the best of all worlds if ya ask me. Ocean and mountains, city and country, small town feel and classic New England charm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
I too want to move back. Have been in NC for 21 years! I looked at apts. on craigslist and was happily surprised, not bad at all in the central and western areas.
Yeah it's a cultural thing I guess once a New Englander always... NC is just too hot and too conservative.

Last edited by thenewNewEnglander; 12-29-2008 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 12-30-2008, 05:37 AM

29 posts, read 65,602 times
As far as jobs are concerned I have some office administrative skills and have worked in the health insurance and most recently in a mortgage title company. However that was a high competition that didn't last a long time so I've been at a casual furniture position for the past 2 and a half years and working at another place (2nd job) printing for the last 10 months both are warehouse but they have been paying the bills. Im working around the clock trying to save to go back up North to Mass.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:25 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
... these warm climates are just strange for the holidays, IMO.
I used to think that way. But a few years ago, we went as a family to spend Christmas in Key Largo. Now my favorite Christmas memory is snorkeling on Christmas day. I'd do that any time.

It was also fun to watch the weekend football games in the snow while we were enjoying tropical breezes. I could get used to that.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantric View Post
As far as jobs are concerned I have some office administrative skills and have worked in the health insurance and most recently in a mortgage title company. However that was a high competition that didn't last a long time so I've been at a casual furniture position for the past 2 and a half years and working at another place (2nd job) printing for the last 10 months both are warehouse but they have been paying the bills. Im working around the clock trying to save to go back up North to Mass.

Good luck Tantric!

Every New Englander that comes home makes a difference!

Let us know if we can help!

Old 12-30-2008, 11:05 PM

24 posts, read 129,014 times
Default Mass to Florida and back to Mass--happy to be here!

I thought I might like to escape the winter so I moved to Florida. I ended up coming home to MA. I missed the beautiful fall, the fresh snow on the trees, breathing in the cold crisp air on a winter morning, the beauty of the area in different seasons.

The beaches in FL were beautiful, but I found that when I lived there I didn't go very much because most of the day it was too hot to be at the beach. I missed hills and different kinds of trees, etc. I found the humidity in FL to be stiffling in the summer. Since coming home I really appreciate the change of seasons. Although winter does get old by the time March comes, no place is perfect. It's all in where you feel most at home. I know people who moved to FL and will never come back.

While I will also love going to FL for vacations, I am very happy to be home and doubt that I'd ever move there again. Despite its problems, I love Massachusetts.

Unfortunately, it is a hard time to get a job here. I'd suggest finding one before you make a move unless you can afford to not work. Lots of people are getting laid off and there are a lot of hiring freezes going on here right now. I've been out of work for 3 months myself. It's hard right now....but don't give up if you want to move back here! Good luck.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:05 AM

I've been trying to leave no stones unturned when in comes to the issue of relocating back up North and I hold alot of the same sentiments that were expressed by both the NewEnglander and Serenity . I love the change of seasons with the fall its that cool crisp air the maple sugar houses,orchards, and the foliage along with the fall festivals that are like nothing else. In the spring its the first detection of plants sprouting up out of the melting snow that I look forward to. The winter to me is a mixed basket of feelings for me. I love the snow on the holidays and the skiing in the Berkshires but it also gets old for me as well by March. I'm originally a Massachusetts native and I've lived there for my first 24 years (I've been down in Florida for six) orginally from Franklin County. Im hoping the readjustment will work out smoothly.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:41 AM

Happy New Year Tantric and all!

Personally I love the year round weather of Mass. Fall is my favorite time of year and I absolutely love winter too. My girlfriend and I still go for walks while its snowing and with a good blanket on the ground. And its just great to look at. I think summer up here is some of the best anywhere, when we get those years where its like a steady 85ish and breezy its heaven to me. I live on a lake and take full advantage in the summer. I really really love New England lakelife!
Now Franklin County is a probably a different story- more snow and quite landlocked compared to Bristol County. But its probably more classic New England country life, which would suit me just fine!

When I came back it took me about a week to readjust except for when I started hearing some of our heavy Mass accents it was quite comical. I'd be in the grocery store and hear someone with this crazy accent on the next aisle and would just about die laughing, standing there by myself even. haha
My real culture shock moments came during previous trips home over the years... but eventually it all just made a different kind of sense to me.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:34 PM

I completely agree that winter most certainly has a nice feel to it. Walking outside while the first snow of the winter covers the ground and the pine trees, leaving a trail of footprints behind you that will inevitably be covered over is a really nice feeling. The air has that crisp and clean quality to it that can only be understood by those that have experienced that environment. If you are into cross- country skiing it is the perfect opportunity to get out there and get some great exercise while enjoying the sights and sounds that nature has to offer in that area. There are alot of unique distinctions about the New England area and its inhabitants. I thought I'd throw in the afterthought of how nice it is to sit in front of a crackling fireplace whiling warming up with some hot cider with a little rum. :P As far as culture shock is concerned I would have to say that I have most definately experienced the feeling but that was only after having traveled across country by train and landing in Oregon. The West coast has a completely different way of life to it and it gave me the opportunity to see a flashback to the sixties (more or less) in its raw form. Very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts