U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-09-2009, 12:52 AM

22 posts, read 59,206 times

Advertisements

Hi,

we're relocating for my husband's job in Cambridge (never been to Boston area before) and have a question regarding preschools. My toddler goes to Montessori here (we both love it) and I'm looking at Montessori schools around Cambridge (we're likely to move to Winchester). I don't know whether to laugh or cry: interview for 3 years old? admission procedure to start one year in advance? $20k a year? Maybe I should open a preschool, <CA$HING>!

I'd like my girls (3 and the other when she turns 2) to go to preschool (not daycare) in the AM. I wouldn't mind a church-related one if they don't discriminate by religion. Where are the affordable ones (and highly recommended by you or acquaintances) that she can get in before September?

Thank you for your input.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 06:47 PM

47 posts, read 232,982 times
I am curious to see what the responses to your post will be...I am in almost the same boat!

Old 01-09-2009, 11:43 PM

65 posts, read 286,518 times
I can say that Great Expectations in Arlington did not meet ours.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:18 AM

39 posts, read 159,633 times
Try calling Woburn Montessori School:*Child Care in Woburn Ma Woburn Montessori. When I lived in Winchester I had a friend who sent their kids there. There were openings last year and it was less expensive that the usual Winchester preschools. (Winchester has its own Montessori, but its a seriously long waiting list. The LEAP school in Lexington is not-Montessori, but is fabulous - no mid year admissions though.)

Old 01-15-2009, 06:26 AM

1,810 posts, read 8,164,528 times
I don't have any recommendations... regardless... you will still need to visit the school to see if that is what you want... or if it fits in your 2,3,4 or 5 day schedule...

May not have Montessori methodology....but Checkout public school's pre-schools... For example
BPS. Departments. Student Services. Early Education Preschool Program

http://www.newton.k12.ma.us/document...chool_info.pdf

www.cpsd.us/web/ELOA/ELOA_brochure.pdf

Old 01-15-2009, 12:41 PM

2,117 posts, read 2,799,739 times
There is The Childern's Own School in Winchester near the Medford border which I am pretty sure is a Montessori school. There are lots of other good preschools in Winchester that aren't Montessori.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 8,158 times
Default RE: Preschools in Winchester/Belmont/Newton/Arlington?

We live in Arlington and are currently looking for a preschool as well.
Have only been in the area a year so only have a little to add

* Teddy Bear Club in newton seems nice
bilingual, but a bit of a drive from Arlington
* there are a few others in Lexington that look interesting
French for Kids and Waldorf
and of course a host of Montessori schools in the area
but as you noted they are a bit expensive.

I have only just visited the Teddy Bear place today.
French and English. Seems good. My wife visited
many and likes this one the best.

Trying to decide how many days a week to send the little one.

- john

Old 02-04-2009, 03:44 PM

42 posts, read 110,321 times
Children's Own School in Winchester is a Montessori school and is great. Although its wait list is long, they sometimes have unexpected openings for kids older than the normal entry age because the relocation of existing families. Another great option is Tuft University's Eliot-Pearson Children's school in Medford: Eliot-Pearson Children's School - Tufts University.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 8,162 times
Our kids have gone to Watertown Cooperative Nursery School and we have loved it. It is a 5 morning program with ext. day options. Parents are expected to help in the classroom once a month and serve on one committee. It has been a great experience for our whole family.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:04 AM

5 posts, read 27,315 times
The Winchester Cooperative Nursery (WCNS) is a great pre-school. Warm and friendly teachers and staff, lots of class options in both the morning and the afternoon. It's in a church but is not affiliated with a church. Right in the downtown of Winchester, so you can drop off and walk to do errands, grab a coffee with friends, head to the train for work, etc. My twin girls (now in fifth grade) loved it and some of our closest friends are still the preschool kids and moms! Good luck with your choices!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts