U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-09-2009, 05:28 PM

25 posts, read 49,089 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Would anyone know of a good, quiet place for a writer to live alone in an affordable house to rent or buy with nature around, and where people courteously keep to themselves while being pretty friendly? A good place to bike or commute by bike?--though not as important. Maybe with used book stores or libraries near enough around? I would look for a local job; jobs of course are hard to find everywhere. My rental budget would be $500 to $1000, and though I'd prefer Western Massachusetts, statewide suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 05:48 PM

5,503 posts, read 14,126,225 times
Western Mass is beautiful, but you will have a very difficult time renting a house for that amount of money. You might find an apartment, but you'll be paying for heat as well. It's not a cheap state to live in by any means. Also, keep in mind that you must buy health insurance in this state and that can get expensive!

Old 01-12-2009, 09:41 PM

25 posts, read 49,089 times
Thank you Woof Woof Woof!, especially about the mandatory health insurance warning.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:49 PM

5,503 posts, read 14,126,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t16skyhopper View Post
Thank you Woof Woof Woof!, especially about the mandatory health insurance warning.
Yeah, no kidding. As a sole proprietor, you have to pay almost double what you do in California. That's because, by law, nobody can be refused health insurance here, so the premiums get pushed up.

And you have to buy it, or you are fined by the state. What a racket! But even if you do pay hundreds to get on a high-deductible plan, if you ever need to see a doctor, forgetaboutit! The state is suffering from a serious shortage of primary care doctors. It can take months to get an appointment -- if you can get one.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this state. It's a beautiful place, but this health insurance law is bad news for those who are trying to make it on their own.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:38 PM

12,430 posts, read 8,728,188 times
Default To the writer looking at Western Mass.

A good place in WMass. is the Five-College area around Northampton. It's pricey but if you're renting a room in a big boarding house you can get a nice one for $500-$700/mo. including utilities. It's only 90 min. to Boston from there and writers, writers everywhere. Though that may not be good if you're hoping to make a living as a writer, but there's plenty of literary events, readings, workshops, bookstores, art events, etc.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:36 AM

21 posts, read 49,297 times
Thumbs up okay. i can identify.

Okay now this I can relate to.

I have posted previously about lincoln village in worcester. And one of the reasons that keeps popping up in my mind is because of my need for solitude. okay ... now hang in there with me. I am thinking of lincoln village because even though it is a very large complex, they have high rises with views and no one can bother you with walking by. basically you can walk in your door and shut it behind you and voila solitude with a view. i wrote a book there and am working on another one and keep thinking of lincoln village as a place to do it. As a writer one needs to block out the world around you and be completely consumed with what one is writing. but at the same time have a little social interaction - when wanted and for only as long as one wants to. if you live in one of the town houses it is the same deal. the house is up high with a view and solitude. but lincoln village is a little 'village' and has activities for the tenants. i realize they have problems there but they can also be quite neighborly. there is an outdoor pool, and an indoor heated pool. there are basketball courts and tennis courts. a gym area and a computer room. you know, places to shake off the tension after spending long long periods of time writing.

my god! i think i just sold myself.

aside from that i am just sick and sick and sick of california. everything is freeways and concrete. crime is rampant. it has become such a dirty place. the violence that is being noted in tijuana is coming across into california. i mean the gang and drug wars. americans being kidnapped and beheaded. it is coming up through the state of california. i was just talking to two friends about it and they are leaving the area. one is in arizona and the other in southern california.

massachussettes is looked sweeter and sweeter. and lincoln village has so much to offer. oh, and in the high rises, all utilities are included. the apartments have two air conditioners, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. etc, etc, etc.

i know i can get this next book done there and do a good job of it. there are t.v. stations in boston to promote it and radio shows.

omg. i'm sold.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:25 AM

1,596 posts, read 3,488,838 times
Look in the Southeast section of Pittsfield. You'll have an abundance of nature and some cool towns nearby to stroll. Even downtown Pittsfield is making a comeback. Some surrounding towns while out there a bit are beautiful. You can surely find a rental in that range.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:09 AM
KFK

5 posts, read 7,911 times
You've probably found your place already...but, only about 20 minutes west of Cambridge, off of Rt 2 ,are the beautiful wooded areas of Lincoln/Concord/Carlisle, etc. (One of my favorite places in Mass..)
No doubt pricier than your budget, but you may be able to find something if you look around.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:52 PM

10,133 posts, read 14,521,983 times
There isn't likely to a rental where the OP can live alone in the above areas for under $1000K. Certainly not a house or cottage.
OP could consider Groton/Littleton. Any place with a lake has small cottages that haven't been built over. I saw one on the lake in Groton that was $750, advertised in the Community Newspaper Group classifieds. (No biking to a job, likely, depending on where you work. Good local libraries. 30+ miles into Boston/Cambridge.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:31 PM

16 posts, read 31,857 times
you could check out places on the outer cape, still plenty of property tucked away in the woods of Wellfleet,Truro, Eastham but you are going to have to pay a fortune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts