Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2007, 09:30 AM

3 posts, read 24,039 times

Advertisements

Ok where to start, I and my fiancee will be moving to Ma in August of this year. my new job starts in September which is in Auburn Ma. we are two women looking for a great city or town to raise our new arriving family. I have quite a few cities such as holden, burlington, walpole, maynard, shrewsbury, medway, hopedale..we have no idea of any town or city in Ma, but we would like to live in or around Ma, but have no idea of where to start looking. we will be making a trip out to Ma to look around with a real estate agent, but would like to get the skimmy before we start looking. cause we all know real estate agents aren't allowed to tell you the skimmy on towns etc. or bad to good areas it goes against their oath. please help a gir out, we are kinda young, but she'll be a doctor and i'm an independant contractor. we are looking forward to our move up to MA. any type of help will be greatly appreciated, i've been trying to do my homework on the subject that's where i got those above cities. looking forward to some responses. thank you for your time.

Gina and Sarah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 01:01 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
Welcome. All those towns you mention are good. Most towns in MA are very family oriented. If you look at previous posts, many have 3-5 generations living in the same town.

Like anyone moving to a new place. I think you need a bit more criteria to narrow down where you live. Make a list of what is important to you.
Some examples,
Do you have a commute time criteria?
Do you have $$$ criteria? Do you plan to buy or rent? (housing cost is high here)
When you mention young, do you want places near clubs/cities? or Do you prefer rural?

Old 01-23-2007, 03:46 PM

180 posts, read 733,612 times
Girly, Good luck on your move to mass. you are coming to the right state, plus you can get married here! But you already know that!
Anyway I live in Sturbridge and it's a real nice town with lots of things to do. good for raising kids. My neighbor works for Century21 in Auburn and she's not pushy and really nice to deal with if you looking to buy.. I would be happy to tell you more about my neighborhood here in Sturbridge,MA. but if you look up all my past posts you can read them easily. let me know if you need more help, plus We may be selling our house in the summer if you want to rent for awhile and then look at our house. There is also an alternative lifestyle family in our neighborhood and they really enjoy living here..Scott

Old 01-23-2007, 04:53 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I recommend Oxford. It is one town over from Auburn, but with less traffic and congestion. It is a fantastic town; very pretty and friendly people. It is also about 10 minutes to Worcester and the Mass. Pike.

Sturbridge is nice, but it would be a commute to Auburn. Doable, but not as easy as living in Oxford!

I am jealous! I wish I could afford to move back!

Where are you moving from?

Old 01-30-2007, 03:34 PM

10 posts, read 45,633 times
you should check out worcester, its right near the mass pike, rt. 290, u can get anywhere from here, also, if u ever decide to have kids, theres great schools that i can promise u ur kids will turn up good. =]

Old 02-13-2007, 02:23 AM

Default thanks for info

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I recommend Oxford. It is one town over from Auburn, but with less traffic and congestion. It is a fantastic town; very pretty and friendly people. It is also about 10 minutes to Worcester and the Mass. Pike.

Sturbridge is nice, but it would be a commute to Auburn. Doable, but not as easy as living in Oxford!

I am jealous! I wish I could afford to move back!

Where are you moving from?

thanks for the info, our real estate agent actually said that Oxford is what we're looking for. my fiancee will actually be working in Worcestor and I'll be in Auburn.. we are making sure it's a fair ride for both of us. I'm from California originally was in the military stationed at barksdale Louisiana where i met sarah, so we'll be moving from Louisiana. right now i'm working in Virginia. yeah we've noticed it's an expensive area to live, but that's the appeal we both have really great jobs so money won't be an issue to us, and it's too expensive for rift raft to live there we looked up the crime rate and sarah fell in love! again thank you so much!

Old 02-13-2007, 02:27 AM

thanks for the info, much appreciated.. we actually have a real estate agent up in MA already.. i believe she's from 21 her name is Judy, we're actually going to fly out there and check out try to get a feel of the towns and the distance from our jobs, she'll be in Worcestor ill be in Auburn. our real estate agent has stated that your town would be nice yours and oxord, we might be renting we're selling our house right now, and i'll probably head up sooner rent a place until sarah graduates medical school and then we'll look for the perfect house. we're very picky figure we're going to live in it for quite sometime might as well take our time with this house and get exactly what we want or at least close to it.. again thank you so much

Old 02-16-2007, 07:38 AM

72 posts, read 412,104 times
I grew up in Oxford (live in San Antonio now) and can vouch for that. There are a lot of new subdivisions. A lot of people in town are outsiders so you won't get the cold shoulder too often. Taxes have gone up a little, though, but it's pretty much the same in most towns in MA. Crime is very low (I think the last murder was about 25 - 30 years ago) What part of town are you looking at?

Old 03-23-2007, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 59,004 times
Hi Gina & Sarah,

My girlfriend and I - also two women are from MA and on the hunt for our first home! We are currently looking at homes IN Auburn and wanted to say hello! I was born and raised in the general area of Auburn and it is a great place to raise a famiily. We have a 6 year old and we are excited to hopefully settle down there. Were you able to settle on a town/city?
I see many people recommended Oxford - its a nice quiet town with great people. I have family there. I am not crazy about the town personally cause I need a little more "life" then what it offers but it is definitely a great place to settle down! GOOD LUCK!

I can say that some of the best hospitals in the nation are not too far away in Boston and we have some amazing hospitals right there near Auburn as well.

Hope you were able to find what you needed!

Keep in touch

Old 03-23-2007, 09:55 PM

54 posts, read 372,322 times
Post First towns

Maynard, Hopedale, and Walpole would be quite the commute to the Auburn/Worcester area. Burlington would be especially long. Though, chances are everyone would be driving from these areas into Boston, so the roads would be fairly open

I wouldn't recommend Worcester when there are so many decent towns around the area without Worcester's stigma. I will say no more about that city; needless to say, there is no love lost for it from me.

The state is small, so you don't have to go very far to get to a decent sized city or town when you need to do some shopping.

As far as cost of living, you could picture it this way in MA - the cost of living is inversely proportional to the elevation of the land. The cost of living in the western part of the state, where the hills are, is generally less than by the coast.

Good luck on your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts