Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 07:23 PM

27 posts, read 69,557 times

Advertisements

I am sick of driving more than 30 minutes to get to work where the family and i currently live (denver). We are moving to MA for my new job on centennial drive in Peabody. The wife and child stay home and need a town with a good "feel" and good schools. We are wandering around Marblehead this weekend with a realtor, but do folks have an opinion or two about surrounding towns and how long it takes to commute to the intersection of highway 95 and 128? I have briefly looked at Danvers, Lynnfield, Swampscott and so on, but I am not sure a bout how crowded things get on 128 during commute hours.

Ideas, comments, thoughts....all are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 09:31 PM

6 posts, read 22,996 times
All depends on what you are looking to spend on housing, but if you are looking in Marblehead you could most likely afford Lynnfield. I would choose Lynnfield over all of the others. Very good schools, small town, youth sports and a VERY short commute to Centennial Park. On 128 you would be going in the opposite direction of rush hour(s) traffic or you could avoid the highway by going out of Lynnfield via Salem St. to Goodwin Circle to Lynnfield St., Peabody and a short distance to Centennial Park. Marblehead-long commute/good schools. Swampscott-shorter commute/ok schools. Danvers-commute down 128 with traffic unless you find the back roads/no opinion on schools. Hope this helps. No, I do not live in Lynnfield, but I wish I did!

Old 01-25-2009, 06:25 AM

27 posts, read 69,557 times
Thanks for the succinct advice! My wife and I are going to explore lynnfield today and see what open houses we can find that aren't over $1,000,000.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:37 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
I prefer Marblehead over Lynnfield. I think it may actually be more affordable. And Marblehead isn't cheap! I love the coast. That is one of the reasons I prefer Marblehead. It also seems like a smaller and cozier town. The downtown is really nice. It has a nice community feel. I used to live in Swampscott. I think you need to be more choosy with your neighborhoods there. There have been some crime issues on the Essex St side of town In Swampscott. A commute from Marblehead to Peabody is doable. Because it's not a highway commute it can be a pain in the neck. But the distance is not bad at all. And many Massachusetts commuters think nothing of much longer commutes. Many people from those towns commute into Boston. There is public transportation. But it's still a long commute. So it really isn't bad commuting from Marblehead to Peabody.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:46 AM

35 posts, read 145,457 times
Default Marblehead Input

Greetings from Celebration, Florida...but I wish I was you! Lived and raised my family in Marblehead all our lives, kids went to public schools in town, participated in all the sports and activities. Great, absolutely, great place to raise a family, wish I was still there.
The commute to Peabody would be a bit challenging, but not bad at all once you get familiar with the shortcuts, be thankful you don't have to go into Boston everyday. In fairness, Swampscott and Salem are also nice, just need to pick area carefully. Good luck with your choice, you are lucky...fall in the North Shore and apple picking is so fun, I could go on and on.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:09 PM

6 posts, read 22,996 times
Kiltmadoc - Hope you were able to visit Lynnfield today and find something in your price range. In reference to the posts about Marblehead over Lynnfield - I find that Lynnfield is more "spread out" and Marblehead is less so. In regards to the commute from Marblehead-three ways in and out. One along the ocean if you were headed to Boston. The others through Swampscott, Salem and then through a good portion of Peabody until you get to Centennial Park. Lynnfield and Marblehead are both great places for different reasons. I was mainly focusing on the commute since that seemed to be a big concern of yours! Best wishes whatever you decide!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:06 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Some other nice towns to check out would be up toward Cape Ann - check out Hamilton and Wenham, and also Manchester-By-The-Sea and Essex. These towns should still be within your 30 minute commute range. Ipswich might be worth looking into too.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:20 AM

8 posts, read 26,460 times
I live in Swampscott, in a very nice part of the town. Posted my house for rent and received a lot of response. People loved the neighborhood, the school sytem and other facts. I drive to Peabody and takes me 20 mins or so.
Marblehead, is nice as well...downtown is cute and is close to the sea, family oriented and fair commute.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,657 times
Default Commute from Marblehead to Peabody

The commute from Marblehead to Peabody can take up to 30 minutes. Have you considered finding a home in West Peabody or Lynnfield? Both of these towns are well known as an "upity" type of town as far as the cost of living. In addition, these towns are closest to 128. I live in Central Peabody and can get to Centennial drive in just a few short minutes. I'm looking for a job working in Centennial Park and came accross your post. I had to reply because I use to commute to Marblehead from Peabody which took be anywhere from 20-30 minutes. Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltmadoc View Post
I am sick of driving more than 30 minutes to get to work where the family and i currently live (denver). We are moving to MA for my new job on centennial drive in Peabody. The wife and child stay home and need a town with a good "feel" and good schools. We are wandering around Marblehead this weekend with a realtor, but do folks have an opinion or two about surrounding towns and how long it takes to commute to the intersection of highway 95 and 128? I have briefly looked at Danvers, Lynnfield, Swampscott and so on, but I am not sure a bout how crowded things get on 128 during commute hours.

Ideas, comments, thoughts....all are appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts