Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:13 PM

65 posts, read 378,447 times

Advertisements

I keep trying to figure out where to buy but instead of it getting easier I am just getting more overwhelmed.

We are looking for a 3 bedroom single family $400,000 or under. We'd like a little land/yard. We will be commuting to Cambridge for work.

Places we have thought about are Arlington, West Concord, Bedford, Acton, Wakefield, Needham.

What is your experience with commuting? How are the schools? Town feel?

We are open to other suggestions of towns that you think would fit the bill.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 07:56 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,184,667 times
I commute to Cambridge from Wakefield. No matter where you live, you're going to have to contend with traffic during rush hour. If you can afford concord, I would go for it. Concord is my dream town lol. Arlington might provide a public transit route that would be less of a bother than using public transportation from one of the further out suburbs (I would see no point of driving in from Arlington). Most days, I try to leave the house at 6:30 am (today I'm taking the morning off) and I can get to Cambridge in 40 minutes. If I leave at 5:30am, than it's a 20-25 minute drive. Of course, those are insane hours to keep.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:26 AM

Thank you Braunwyn! Wow, 40 minutes from Wakefield! I guess that means coming from Acton or Westford would be more like an hour or more!

I really like West Concord but I think Concord would be a condo in our price range (and they don't seem to have that many). That's another piece we are debating, getting a condo in Arlington or W.Concord and being closer or getting a single family and dealing with the commute.

How do you like living in Wakefield?

Old 01-28-2009, 08:23 AM

I know I sound pitiful but anyone else have any suggestions and/or input?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:05 AM

84 posts, read 200,191 times
If I had 400,000 to spend here would be my list if towns and why (In order of preference). My thoughts on public schools are: If you have a smart kid and you help them along, they will do well wherever they attend school. I think that public schooling in Massachusetts is over-rated. I went to Somerville High School (Somerville isn't know for it's schools), went to a well-known 4 year college, have an Economics degree, have a good paying stable job, and a part time career in Real Estate. (Although I wouldn't recommend buying Somerville; I don't think the city is a good value for what you are paying for.)

1) Arlington: The commute to Cambridge is short, the center of town (Park and Mass. Ave & Arlington Center) has a lot of different family owned shops and restaurants, Trader Joe's, etc. Housing can be found for under 400k, but if it well priced it tends to go very quickly. I've always liked Arlington because it is a town, but has a sort of "city" feel to it because of it's walkable downtown, shops, housing options.

2) Medford: Commute to Cambridge is short, houses are a good value for the money. If buying in Medford I would recommend West Medford near the Arlington/Winchester line. This also has a small center (West Medford Square), with a few stores and restaurants. It is also a short drive to both Arlington and Winchester Centers. For 400k you could get a really nice updated cape or colonial on the Winchester line. My main reason for buying in Medford is because of the value; If you buy in West Medford it is basically like living in Winchester without the price tag or high taxes.

3) Stoneham: Stoneham is great because it has a lot of options for 400k or under housing, it is close to route 93, It has a small downtown area, and it has a good reputation of being a nice, crime-free, family oriented town. The Commute to Cambridge is easy, you can take back roads. I think that the hardest part of driving into Cambridge is the traffic in the Cambridge/Somerville area, so you will be in that from wherever you are coming from.

4) Wakefield: There are some great homes for under 400k in this town. There is a nice center of town where you can shop and eat. There is Lake Quanapowitt (sp??) where you can walk or jog around. The homes have a little more land here than the other towns mentioned.

All of these towns have good schools, great programs for kids (sports and recreation), are very community centered, and are in easy commutting distance to Cambridge. The well priced housing options in these towns are snapped up fairly quicky, so if you see something that comes on that you like you have to act fast. Most of the homes on the market currently are overpriced for the market or are junk. For example, last week in Stoneham, a 3 bedroom ranch with a nice lot and yard, had updated andersen windows, shingle siding, living room, kitchen, family room on the first floor + finished basement came on the market for 319,000. I tried to convince my mother to look at it (she is downsizing) but it went under agreement within 2 days. Usually when a house comes on the market I can instantly say to myself "that house is going to sell within a few days" and I am usually right. The same thing goes for an overpriced house. Buying around here in this market is a waiting game. It is pointless to look at what is already on the market. You have to wait until something new comes on, and then snap it up.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-28-2009 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: looks like soliciting

Old 01-28-2009, 12:16 PM

I should also say that there are a few listings in Winchester that might fit your budget. Winchester is a nice town with excellent schools, but I left it off of my list because of price/value. However if you have a good buyer's agent you might be able to get a decent home in Winchester for 350-400k.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-29-2009 at 09:43 AM..

Old 01-28-2009, 05:09 PM

Thank you so much J1mbo01 for your lengthy and thoughtful reply! Winchester is off our list because my husband grew up there and he does not particularly want to raise our family there. He did not like it at all.

You are right on about Arlington houses going FAST. There was a fabulous house that went for asking at 399,000 in only a couple of days. All the other houses in Arlington in our price range are really funky. Funky bad, not funky livable.

I will check out Stoneham and Wakefield more closely!

Thanks again.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:50 PM

What about Bedford? Seems like they have some single families under 400,000.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:50 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,184,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahwilliams View Post
Thank you Braunwyn! Wow, 40 minutes from Wakefield! I guess that means coming from Acton or Westford would be more like an hour or more!

I really like West Concord but I think Concord would be a condo in our price range (and they don't seem to have that many). That's another piece we are debating, getting a condo in Arlington or W.Concord and being closer or getting a single family and dealing with the commute.

How do you like living in Wakefield?
I really like Wakefield. It's supposed to be a desirable town, but it's a bit tired looking. It is very expensive to own here. If you're going for a condo, than I would do Arlington. I see no reason to have a condo (no outdoor living space) and not be closer to the city. Arlington is a fine town and if you find the right location (near spy pond or along the bike path) than you would be golden in a duplex, town house, etc.

eta: of course, your budget is way past mine, so Wakefield is expensive for me. Again, if you have 400k, go for Arlington or west medford as mentioned by J1mbo0.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:59 PM

I am not too familiar with Bedford with regard to stores, downtown are, etc. but I do know that it is a nice town with good schools and a more "rural" feel than the other towns I mentioned. If you find something you like, on a side street, for under 400k I would say go for it. The prices in Bedford did not rapidly inflate like some other towns, so I would feel comfortable buying today in Bedford and not worrying that my home's value would decrease by 20 percent in a year. Another option would be Melrose, which has everything from Victorians to Contemporary ranches overlooking the golf course!

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-29-2009 at 09:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts