U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:31 AM

5 posts, read 114,796 times
Default Milton/Mattapan line?

Anyone live around there, know the area? A friend of ours suggested we look around there for a new home. Cheaper then the middle of Milton etc.?

How's the area? Safe, easy to raise family etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 12:28 AM

3,972 posts, read 6,169,156 times
Italians would say "mezza, mezza," Japanese would say, "mah, mah," WASP's would say, "so-so." Mattapan suffered terribly from the turnover in population that was accelerated by racial "blockbusting" in the late '60s and has yet to recover. While its central business district along Blue Hill Ave leading to the Milton line is healthy and there are many peaceful and pleasant residential blocks, much of the community is experiencing gang problems. Strangely, some of the worst of this is taking place in the section south of Cummins Hwy that extends to the Hyde Park and Milton lines. Well into the '90s, the area (one of the "newest," having been largely developed after WWII) maintained a small amount of diversity in its population and had a totally suburban feel to it. No more.

Although the Neponset River is little more than a trickle where it forms the Boston/Milton boundary, it served as a psychological barrier for a long time. Few West Indian or AA families ventured south of Mattapan Square and across the bridge, let alone set up housekeeping. But that was no longer true by the '90s. Now the area of Milton bisected by Blue Hill Ave is approaching - and may have passed - the 50/50 (Black/White) mark. Esthetically the area is none the worse for its new ethnic composition. It's a case of people "buying up" into the middle and upper-middle classes rather than following Mattapan's deplorable precedent of being steered into a community and making a self-fulfilling prophecy out of arbitrarily lowered property values. But whether it can remain economically, if not ethnically, stable is anyone's guess. In the neighborhoods surrounding Central Ave, and eastward into Quincy, the streets are also quiet and on the upscale side. They mostly don't lack for "integration," but haven't seen a shift in percentages as drastic as that of the section along Blue Hill Ave.

No matter what group of humans lives where, Milton still has one of the better public school systems in Greater Boston. It of course is also home of the renowned Milton Academy. You'd never forget that you're in suburbia.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 9,568 times
We moved to that area of Milton (Blue Hills Parkway area, within 2 miles of Mattapan) last summer and have been very happy here so far. We found it far more affordable than most of the rest of Milton. The neighborhood here is a mix of single family, condo, and multi-family apartments and is more ethnically diverse than the rest of town. Our kids aren't in school yet, but we've found the playgrounds to be full of young families who seem happy with the schools. As you get closer to Mattapan, Milton becomes a little more urban, so you have to take normal city precautions (locking cars, etc.), but you also get closer to public transit and other benefits of urban living. Anyway, our experiences so far have been very positive.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:55 AM

11 posts, read 28,630 times
I moved to this neighborhood (eight minutes walk from Mattapan Square), just over nine years ago. We've been generally happy with our relocation and appreciate the unusual mix of urban / suburban that this part of Milton produces. The west side of town partially abuts Mattapan, but there is little of the disturbance or problems that are usually associated with our neighbors over the river. I'll try to be brief....it's a good town, decent school system,low crime rate, well located for T and highway, inhabitants predominantly well educated and reasonably affluent. Taxes are on the high side as town has virtually no commercial property, but still not crippling. Demographically, the town as a whole is around 85% white, but the area we're in is about 30% Haitian / Afro Caribbean. This seems to be changing slightly as in the last twelve to eighteen months in particular, we have noticed a growing Asian population. Property prices have proportionally coped far better in this economic down turn than in surrounding communities.

Last edited by Boston R's; 05-18-2009 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: misspelled

Old 05-18-2009, 04:38 PM

847 posts, read 1,685,360 times
Milton still has one of the lowest crime rates in the country according to a recent Boston Globe article. I drive by the Milton/Mattapan Line quite often and I too am surprised at times to see so many non-Whites on the Milton side at times but then again I saw a Milton High School basketball game a few months ago and saw Blacks and Whites co-existing harmoniously. Their basketball team seems to be split evenly 50% Black, and 50% White and the audience looked very diverse. It looked like a picture that we in Boston can only wish for at times.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:17 PM

11 posts, read 31,190 times
I can offer the perspective of someone who lived in Mattapan. I personally never lived in Milton, but I would live in any area of the city without much of a second guess. The area near the Mattapan border is more diverse, but I see this as a strength rather than a drawback. I would definitely recommend that area, any of the streets off of Blue Hills Parkway are really nice. As for Mattapan, well, it's probably not going to be dangerous for you as long as you don't sell drugs or participate in other illegal activities . I never felt like it was too bad of an area, definitely not your stereotyped picket-fence suburbia, but its unfortunate reputation is definitely not the reality.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:22 PM

4 posts, read 13,174 times
Well, I'll give you a Milton resident's perspective: I grew up in Milton (side streets between Blue Hill Parkway and Blue Hill Avenue). I'd consider this area to be the most ethnically diverse part of Milton. The area is safe, the schools are good (I'm a graduate of Milton high school, and yes the school is diverse.) I've lived in suburbs on the south shore and find Milton to be a true suburb with all the perks of Boston conveniently located nearby.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 9,634 times
What is interesting about that area is that within a one mile diameter you would find Governor Patrick's multi-million dollar mansion, as well as some of the most notorious gang bangers in the city. You get all of the positives of being in a diverse, vibrant community, but you also have to suffer some of the negatives that come with city life, as mentioned above. It's very much a case by case basis depending on what exactly you are looking for and your price range.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:02 AM

6 posts, read 10,553 times
Default One Mile Radius, not diameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotStag View Post
What is interesting about that area is that within a one mile diameter you would find Governor Patrick's multi-million dollar mansion, as well as some of the most notorious gang bangers in the city. You get all of the positives of being in a diverse, vibrant community, but you also have to suffer some of the negatives that come with city life, as mentioned above. It's very much a case by case basis depending on what exactly you are looking for and your price range.
I think you mean.." a one mile radius, which is roughly a circle comprising 3 square miles

If you were to "do the plane geometry", of an area that is "within" a "one mile diameter" ..at all points... that winds up being a circle with only a "half mile radius"...., or only, roughly, .... 3/4 of a square mile.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:34 AM

3,972 posts, read 6,169,156 times
Did I wake up in a mathematical nit-picking forum where long-dead threads are needlessly revived?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts