U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:12 AM

3 posts, read 42,286 times

Advertisements

What are you experience with Charter School lottery system? Did you child get from Lottery? If yes, did they get in the same year?

My daughter is 2nd on the waitlist for a charter school for 7th grade. I guess I am trying to figure out what are her chances of getting in this year. Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 03:34 PM

2,312 posts, read 6,676,679 times
Is she on the list for this year or next year? When my kids were at a charter school, I know that you had more of a chance of securing a spot if you were willing to switch schools during the year. So if they were to call you tomorrow, you'd say yes, and not want to wait until Sept.

It can't hurt to call the school and see what's going on. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:35 AM

Thanks your response and information. She is on the waiting list for 2009/2010 school year. Trying to be hopeful that she will be get a call!!!! I would also be willing to switch anytime during a the school year. Thanks again.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:03 AM

If you were #2 on the waiting list for next year at the charter school my kids went to, you have a very good chance of being called over the summer to start in Sept. You would have a 100% probability of being called during the period of Sept-Dec. to fill a vacant slot.

Their school was the South Shore Charter School in Norwell, a k-12 school in the suburbs, which probably has a different admissions flow than an urban 7-12 school, for example.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:32 AM

Wow...Small World! She is on the waitlist for South Shore Charter School. Keeping my fingers crossed. I can't thank you enough for your information!!!!!! Thanks again

Old 02-27-2009, 02:09 PM

Oh, that's funny! My kids loved their years at that school. It is a very friendly, accepting place.

Extra good luck to you!

Old 07-08-2009, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 13,639 times
My son is on the waiting list for Loomis Elementary and he on the waiting list between 5 and 10 and for Priaire Elementary between 15-20 what are the changes of him getting in the charter school for school year 2009/2010?

Old 02-17-2011, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 12,114 times
we are number 52 on the waiting list for the charter school at norwell. very slim chances i fear. i've been sitting here crying this morning having received the letter today. does anybody know our chances? how many kids to they take a year for K? how does the waiting list really work? very very sad...i think i had such big hopes...

Old 03-28-2011, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 11,864 times
Charter schools are a terrible trend. They suck up all the community resources of talented and dedicated staff, and ration it out to a very few students. In most places, not even private schools can compete with the quality, because they don't have the money to provide quality resources that publicly funded charter schools do. To provide that, they'd have to charge the full per capita tuition that public schools get, and that is an unrealistic burden for most parents - especially when they are already funding the public school system. There's a ridiculous advantage when you are funded by a pool of all taxpayers through their entire lives, versus just the parents of a particular student while they are attending school.

In my state, charter schools are supposed to expand to accommodate demand, and only if that is not possible, they may use a lottery system. None of them ever attempt to meet this statutory demand, and instead keep accepting 25 students per year per grade level, with no regard for the misfortune of waitlisted students. Meanwhile, the children of staff and siblings of current students get a free pass, circumventing the lottery system and taking up slots. Every public school teacher I know has their own children in a charter school. Apparently the education they provide other kids isn't good enough for their own kids.

The only sensible solution is to offer vouchers to parents. Schools get a certain amount of funding per student, but only if that student is enrolled in a public school (including a charter school). If parents could choose to take that allotment of money and put it toward a private school of their choice, then we'd actually see some fairness in the educational system. A lottery system is not fair. Why should only the very wealthy and the very random get a good education?

I taught my daughter to read when she was 4. I want her to continue developing her reading skills in kindergarten. In public school, she would basically just take naps and play, waiting a full school year before the first grade starts learning what she already knows. But many of the charter schools have avid reading programs in kindergarten. Why should parents, who never bothered to even teach their kids the alphabet, get a spot in such a classroom due to a lucky lottery number, when I actually worked hard to get my daughter the best? I'm not opposed to a private school, but that is a financial burden that I shouldn't have to incur while others are getting the same thing free!

Old 03-28-2011, 12:19 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,548,275 times
Have a friend who is a long-term teacher in the school system that has a Charter she wanted her son in. She practically flipped her lid when he finally got on the waiting list. He's embarrasingly smart and they're still waiting. After four years. He's gone to private school this year.
Charter school money is better spent on ALL kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or