Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 30,238 times

Advertisements

Hi there everyone we are moving from the uk to MA . We first were looking to live in Newton as some friends really recommended schools there for our youngest with PDD-nos.
Recently our circumstances have changed, and we might have to relocate to Plymouth County, but i am feeling rather anxious as we do not no much about the area, and our initial trip to the US now will have to be quite short mainly to focus on the buisiness purchase.
We will be happy to look at reasonably priced private schools with behavioural programmes with an emphasis on language development peer play skills/social skills etc. We are very familiar with ABA and any schools with behavioural programms would be welcome, but we are open to any suggestions.
As i mentioned, initially some friends recommended Newton for good schools apparently with great programmes, and on a previous trip we visited one school and we were quite happy, but my husband has just now found a business in Plymouth County and i am totally at a lost as what to do.
I have no idea or any feedback from experience regarding the Plymouth private school provision for special needs kids. I have heard that Plymouth doesn't offer a lot of choice in its programmes,but i have seen so many private special needs schools, i wondered if anyone could help, as we are about to move and i don't know where to start!!
thanks so much folks
Kind Regards,
carla Uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 07:04 AM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Hi Carla, Plymouth County covers a fairly large geographical area: Plymouth County, Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Will your husband be working in the town of Plymouth, itself? We call that area the "South Shore". Probably the best school systems within commuting distance would be Hingham, Cohasset, Duxbury, Norwell or Hanover. Could you give us an idea of what your housing budget is?

Old 03-07-2009, 08:42 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,525,377 times
I have no personal experience with the special ed. system in Cohasset, but I have several close friends who have and across the board they say the system is very difficult to work with, like a gut-wrenchingly bad experience.

A friend of mine sent her child who has some behavioral issues to Bay Farm Montessori in Duxbury and she says things are working out really well.

The South Shore has very few private k-8 school options compared to the western suburbs. There's Derby Academy in Hingham, Inly in Scituate (based in Montessori), Bay Farm in Duxbury. There are Catholic schools in Hingham and Weymouth. And that's about it.

There is the South Shore Educational Collaborative, which is for kids with special needs who are outplaced from the local school system. I don't mean to alarm you, but my friend who's child was there was horrified by it and yanked him out.

So choose your public school system carefully. For some reason I'm thinking Hanover or Norwell might have good special ed programs, but you'd have to look closely at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts